iPod Touch Has Iffy SQ. What To Do To Fix It?
Jul 31, 2011 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FatalSylence

Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new to this whole hi-fi audio thing. So far I love it.  My M50's are amazing and I love the sound that these things pump out.

My only problem: My iPod Touch 4G's sound quality SUCKS!  Literally, I don't have a nice sound card in my computer and am just using crappy onboard sound, but the difference between my PC and iPod is substantial.  The iPod sounds REALLY muddy and doesn't seem to have much range, whereas my PC doesn't sound muddy and has a lot of range. (It's still kind of muddy though, but I'll attribute that to my crappy onboard sound.) 

I guess my question is: do Apple products generally have B rate SQ?  And, what can I do to pump out better audio?  Would something like this http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-miniusb.html do the trick?  I've heard LOD's make a big difference.  I would use my JDS Labs CMoyBB 2.03 as the volume control..

Let me know, guys. 

Thank you.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 19
 That looks like a great product, but I've never seen a review of it yet. Let us know how it sounds if you take the leap!

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 19
There are two great apps (the threads are around somewhere) EQu and equalizer apps.

Get the equalizer app and tweak it to your liking.

Oh and yeah ,get an LOD like the Fiio L9.

See my sig.( I have iPod Touch 4G, w/Equalizer app, CMoy Royal, LOD). So I am in a similar position.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 19
The sound quality of the touch is good.  You're demanding too much from the amplifier inside it.  The Touch (and all iPods, iPhones, etc.) are designed for maximum battery life.

An amplifier with good power output requires a lot from the battery.  So Apple (and most others) design their DAPs for maximum battery life and just enough power to run efficient IEMs, which 99% of their users with them.

If you want to run a full-sized headphone, you will need to amplify it.  That isn't the fault of the DAP.  You're using it for something that wasn't engineered to do.

You might as well go off at a screw manufacturer because screws don't work so well with a hammer.

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 19
The sound quality of the touch is good.  You're demanding too much from the amplifier inside it.  The Touch (and all iPods, iPhones, etc.) are designed for maximum battery life.

An amplifier with good power output requires a lot from the battery.  So Apple (and most others) design their DAPs for maximum battery life and just enough power to run efficient IEMs, which 99% of their users with them.

If you want to run a full-sized headphone, you will need to amplify it.  That isn't the fault of the DAP.  You're using it for something that wasn't engineered to do.

You might as well go off at a screw manufacturer because screws don't work so well with a hammer.

Haha, thank you for your reply.  Point taken. =)

I've ordered an LOD so it should be interesting to see what that sounds like.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
There are two great apps (the threads are around somewhere) EQu and equalizer apps.

Get the equalizer app and tweak it to your liking.

Oh and yeah ,get an LOD like the Fiio L9.

See my sig.( I have iPod Touch 4G, w/Equalizer app, CMoy Royal, LOD). So I am in a similar position.

QFT.
L3000.gif

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 19
Well, I've been using Equalizer and it sounds great. But it's a pretty cumbersome app IMO. I am going to try EQu tonight. 

EDIT: Oh yeah! EQu is amazing!  If you guys are still using Equalizer, try out EQu.  It seems leaps and bounds better than equalizer.

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 19
Does equ and the other eq app onlt work with music that can be played with the ipod app or will it work with mog, pandora and all other streaming apps as well?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 19
Thought so... I stream music and use music downloaded from Mog.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 19
Honestly, the Ipod Touch 4 probably has the worst SQ of all the newer Ipods. The Iphone 3GS and specially the Iphone 4 sound better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back