iPod Touch EQ fixed in iOS 4.0
Jul 2, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #46 of 65
If you like the touch better, get that.

Protip: Get a mic adapter for the touch. A mic/no mic button on the adapter should allow you to control your music (at least it does on mine - tap to play/pause, double to skip forward).

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #48 of 65

Quote:
@Achmedisdead

September is just around the corner..I'd hold off for the 2011 models. Apple updates their iPods every year. See if you like what they will be offering, then decide.

At the moment, I have no plans for any new players.....money's kind of tight. But I always am curious when they roll out their September updates.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #49 of 65
I am going to give the J3 a second go, and if it fails again so easily, wait for September and see what Apple has to offer. I just have to not spend the $300 from the J3 ahead of time, not easy with this place!

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #50 of 65

Quote:
At the moment, I have no plans for any new players.....money's kind of tight. But I always am curious when they roll out their September updates.
smily_headphones1.gif

We gotta figure out a way to get together and let you try out some different DAP's bro,..... we'll figure something out before summer's end.

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #51 of 65
Update at your own risk, though I hope 4.1 is forthcoming. I can't revert on mine, getting 3194 error and wifi is working ok. There are a couple of threads on the Apple site and people are not able to revert to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. I just gave up. Someone posted that they called Apple and Apple says there is no going back. Apparently some folks are having battery draining problems and wifi connectivity issues with their Touches and iOS4. Anyway, I did restore mine and that is supposed to fix the battery issue. The wifi issue? No idea. Mine seems to be working okay.

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #52 of 65

Quote:
Update at your own risk, though I hope 4.1 is forthcoming. I can't revert on mine, getting 3194 error and wifi is working ok. There are a couple of threads on the Apple site and people are not able to revert to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. I just gave up. Someone posted that they called Apple and Apple says there is no going back. Apparently some folks are having battery draining problems and wifi connectivity issues with their Touches and iOS4. Anyway, I did restore mine and that is supposed to fix the battery issue. The wifi issue? No idea. Mine seems to be working okay.

Do the "HOLD DOWN POWER AND MENU BUTTON" wipe for the iPod touch, it erases the FW on the device - it also takes FOREVER to restart, and shows the Connect to iTunes start screen when completed.

Then reinstall the older FW: Just make sure your not connected to the net - as a precaution - since iTunes might do a monkey wrench maneuver and screw up the installation of the older OS.

Plus, be sure to have the older FW on your desktop to point iTunes to when it's going to do the restoration.

Worked for me before when I had a major error during 1 of the paid FW updates on my old touch 2G, and I hope this is exactly how I did it - it was awhile ago.

EDIT: There are battery drain issues for some after the iOS 4 update, and I've had diminished battery life as well - be forewarned before you upgrade to the new OS.

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #54 of 65
Thanks for that info. I might just leave mine alone, not sure, unless the wifi connectivity starts acting up.  I would like to return to the older EQ presets, but that's a personal preference thing. I only have 8GB on my Touch, so re-syncing is pretty fast (I use 2-3 main playlists and that's about it). But again, I think I am okay with the new treble booster for the SM3s, sounds very nice with the monster tips. Only issue is the battery life. I guess I should leave mine on standby and see how long it lasts, since I usually turn mine off.

Quote:
Do the "HOLD DOWN POWER AND MENU BUTTON" wipe for the iPod touch, it erases the FW on the device - it also takes FOREVER to restart, and shows the Connect to iTunes start screen when completed.

Then reinstall the older FW: Just make sure your not connected to the net - as a precaution - since iTunes might do a monkey wrench maneuver and screw up the installation of the older OS.

Plus, be sure to have the older FW on your desktop to point iTunes to when it's going to do the restoration.

Worked for me before when I had a major error during 1 of the paid FW updates on my old touch 2G, and I hope this is exactly how I did it - it was awhile ago.

EDIT: There are battery drain issues for some after the iOS 4 update, and I've had diminished battery life as well - be forewarned before you upgrade to the new OS.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #55 of 65
I can't wait to upgrade to iOS4 but I'm slightly worried about battery draining issue. On the other hand I want to try new EQ, as we all know it sucks in 3.1.2. Is it such a big issue about battery life?

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #57 of 65
While I just sold my 8GB Touch (to get one of the 64GB 3GS models Woot! was selling for $275), when I did the restore without backup procedure, the battery really was fine. At least it worked for me. However, I didn't really compare to the pre-iOS4 situation. I just figured I would do the fix anyway. Hope the new owner appreciates it.

Also, as noted, to me, with my IEMs, the older EQ setting sounded better (the one I used, which was acoustic). But as I also sold the IEM that matched well with that preset (the SM3s), EQ on the Touch is no longer an issue. Just do your research before you take the plunge, then decide.

Also, the aforementioned wifi receptivity is also in play, but mine didn't change post-update. At least not with my home network.

Quote:
I can't wait to upgrade to iOS4 but I'm slightly worried about battery draining issue. On the other hand I want to try new EQ, as we all know it sucks in 3.1.2. Is it such a big issue about battery life?

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #58 of 65
Funny, prior to reading the thread I was actually here to see who else was having issues with the iOS 4.0 update and the sound equalizer. I used to Rock EQ frequently since half of my library includes a lot of death metal. With the new update, Rock EQ sounds very flat. You guys praise the lack of distortion - well, while I'm not looking for that kind of distortion, I am not getting enough of it. Really wish we could get customizable EQ settings! But since I updated yesterday I didn't think to try turning off EQs and listening to my music like that. It might help ... will update later on this.

As for issues concerning the iOS 4.0, besides the sound equalizer issues I think it's a great update. It's really multitasking-friendly and runs smoother (helps with the aforementioned). I suspect from what I've read that any other defects concerning the new OS may only appear in older models updating their firmware (8 gig and 16 gig ipod touch 3gs, for instance, which run off of the 2g hardware). But this is just speculation.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #59 of 65
I do wish they would have left some of the EQs alone, but on balance now, I never use the presets with my DBAs or MC5s, so no big deal. I wish they had a simple, easy to use bass boost function, much like Sony's Clear Bass feature. That would be nice now and again. But yes, a custom EQ would be best. Not sure if it will ever happen, no matter what the OS for Touch/iPhone.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #60 of 65

Quote:
Acoustic used to be great with my IE8. Increasing Treble and taming the bass. It was awesome. But now I can't stand any of the EQs anymore...

Actually the  Acoustic & Hip Hop EQ are the only 2 i find useful with the RE-ZEROs, that extra bass does help.
just a little 3 step slider for bass boost (like the walkmans) would be nice and less of a roll off in the bass would be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back