iPod Touch EQ fixed in iOS 4.0
Jun 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 65

Quote:
Well, I do think we are on to something. iOS4 lowers the overall volume when EQ is engaged a probable safe 8-9dB, though I've not measured it yet. The good news: I can use the EQ on ANY setting without sizzle. The bad news? There is still too much volume in each volume step. I wish Apple would fix that as sometimes, a volume level of 1 is too loud (honestly).

Great find @humanafterall.

I hate the huge steps in volume myself, as some of my cans are way too loud when trying to chill w/some tunes playing while I rest a bit (ok, I take naps w/my music playing in the background
rolleyes.gif
). I really wish "steps" we're implemented, ala' WalkMan - 0-30 would be fantastic.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 65
I prefer to go ampless myself. I can afford a decent amp though, but I can't deal w/the extra bulk/weight to carry - I have too muck to handle as is.

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 65
That is why i opted for the T3D which isn't bothersome at all, with a low profile LOD of course. Honestly  I'm more bothered by the weight of the Ipod itself, wish it was lighter

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 65
I agree, the EQ has been fixed. I also agree that the Acoustic EQ has surely been changed. They finally set the EQ right, I'm very happy about this small change. I just don't understand why they haven't implemented a manual adjust EQ like the one in iTunes..

IMO, little changes that Apple made to refine OS 3 has made my iPod Touch run so much smoother and better. Little things make the biggest difference.

And to your post here, I found this video interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wq5FwzpQjQ
I don't really like Apple as a company either - they've changed so much from their roots. But then, like any group with a history of success and failures, it ill behooves them to play by another's rules.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #21 of 65
This is great. Recently I have been using Treble Reduce on my OS3 touch 2gen when I wanted to listen to dubstep with KSC75s. Cutting higher frequencies allowed my to drive the volume slider up to bring out the bass. If it does this automatically now then I'm happy.

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #23 of 65

Quote:
That is why i opted for the T3D which isn't bothersome at all, with a low profile LOD of course. Honestly  I'm more bothered by the weight of the Ipod itself, wish it was lighter

Well, unlike some members here, I refuse to even use an amp as small as a FiiO E3/5. Some love to do so, but I find any extra steps in my listening to be a distraction to my enjoyment.

I feel, and this is IMO as YMMV, that a portable player paired w/the right HP/IEM shouldn't need an amp. This is why I went w/the portable - simplicity. I just want to have my DAP charged, plug in my cans for the day, and get me'self out the door.

The exception is if someone has high impedance or very low impedance HP/IEM's,.....then an amp is needed - and if those HP/IEM's sound that good I'd learn to like an amp myself.

Simplicity,.....something I need more of in my life, and I have control over this. And right now, all my stuff is easy to drive, and I'm lovin' it.

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #24 of 65

Quote:
This is great. Recently I have been using Treble Reduce on my OS3 touch 2gen when I wanted to listen to dubstep with KSC75s. Cutting higher frequencies allowed my to drive the volume slider up to bring out the bass. If it does this automatically now then I'm happy.

I find the KSC75 can be shrill as hell with some players.....I guess I'm not the only one! They work fine with my Sony players, but the Clear Bass helps with that.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 65
I guess an amp is really beneficial to me because it enables more control over the volume (besides the obvious jump in sq). When I had the T3D with the touch, changing the volume on it was a lot more pleasant than the large steps the player takes using the tactile buttons. Also, at night with the T3D i was able to listen at very low volume levels which isn't the case without the amp.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 65
So you have a very good reason to use an amp then Inks, but for me it's a no-no.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #27 of 65
What I've noticed, is the horrid amount of distortion in the preset "bass boost". However, I'm planning on getting a classic, any problems/fixes with the EQ on the classic?

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #28 of 65
Funny, bass boost didn't distort for me, but it's too "muddy" sounding and masks the mids & highs too much for my tastes.

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 65
I somewhat like the "dance" and "rock" EQ presets, but as we all know - nothing will satisfy us till we get a custom EQ built into the iPod's, all of them. At least, from my testing, I haven't experienced any distortion. I'm hoping to 1 day get that custom EQ from Apple, and the iPhone 4 is now in my future. I have nothing but positive wishes to speak of  - so bring on the goodness!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back