ipod line out
Jun 17, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #31 of 36
I have a bunch of salon cables here, and i mostly use the grey $5usd radioshack mini to mini
smily_headphones1.gif

6" of cable just doesnt make enough difference in a portable system to worry much about it. You have to listen so hard with better cans than youd usually carry with you daily and with good recordings in a quiet room, and portably you wont notice with the busses wizzing by, and wind, and microphonics while youre walking,etc.

Its so slight of a difference that sometimes i wonder if there is one.

I do notice cable differences on my home stereo speakers and 3-6 foot runs on home componants, but at only 6 inches on portable gear, not alot of difference really to me.

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #32 of 36
honestly, i've got a few different LODs. Some i've made myself, others i've bought. Some have jacks, some have plugs.

In a perfect listening environment, with my back turned and someone else switching around, could I "hear" a difference?

I can't say. I've never tried it. Would be interesting, but honestly...i listen to VBR mp3. Is the deficiency in my portable rig my LOD or the quality of the rips? Could it be my amp or my phones? Maybe a combination of two or more?

But in my practical listening applications, I can't hear the difference in sound quality between LODs.

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good post, Champ04. I suspect most of us here would have a strong tendency to prefer good science and engineering to irrationality and illogic. But so many of us have heard obvious and substantial - and consistent - differences between cables that cannot be explained by mere placebo effect. That is not to say that there is no scientific or rational explanation for these differences, it is just that it cannot necessarily be measured by traditional and simplistic measures of inductance, capacitance and resistance. The role of engineering in these circumstances is to find the way to measure what can be observed, not to deny what is observed because it doesn't fit the current measures.

Well put. I agree, and have also observed absolutely repeatable sonic differences between various LOD materials/brands. Best of luck in your search! You don't have to spend huge money to get good sound.

Jun 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #34 of 36
If you haven't ordered it yet, do NOT order Qables one. I've had one for a month now and it already broke down. Sure it could be bad luck or something but at their price one could expect them to last for years (or a life-time). Anyone else have/had one?

There's been no excessive pressure or anything to it but it just stopped working today. For few days it sounded like bad connection ie. one channel dropping and then popping back, but now it just provides sound that is unlistenable.

I really hope these have some kind of warranty. Just sent a mail about it to Meier Audio. :/

Jun 19, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't ordered it yet, do NOT order Qables one. I've had one for a month now and it already broke down. Sure it could be bad luck or something but at their price one could expect them to last for years (or a life-time). Anyone else have/had one?

There's been no excessive pressure or anything to it but it just stopped working today. For few days it sounded like bad connection ie. one channel dropping and then popping back, but now it just provides sound that is unlistenable.

I really hope these have some kind of warranty. Just sent a mail about it to Meier Audio. :/

I'm sure Hans at Qables will replace your LOD. Based on my experience with him, his customer service is outstanding. Just send him a PM and I'm sure you'll be taken care of.

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoneser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure Hans at Qables will replace your LOD. Based on my experience with him, his customer service is outstanding. Just send him a PM and I'm sure you'll be taken care of.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back