ipod line out
Jun 15, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Pantocrator

Head-Fier
I am looking at some line out cables for my ipod touch, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I found one from qables for 60 bucks (meier audio's site) but I have found a similar cable for 15 bucks. Is there a real difference in the cables? Would I be a moron for ponying up 60 bucks for a line out cable? I can't imagine that it would be better quality than a 15 dollar cable- they are both gold plated... I already feel stupid for paying 50 bucks at headroom for their er-4p to er-4s converter, and I don't want to waste any more money.

Jun 15, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 36
They don't sound the same at all. I have the ALO solid core copper line out, the Microshar line out, a Sik Din and an ALO LOD without cable, which I use with a number of different cables. All sound completely different, and some much better than others. I don't know how good the Qables LOD is but I do know that some are a lot better than others. I recommend the Microshar which is inexpensive and sounds good, and is easily available on ebay.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 36
I'm afraid they don't sound different. I have an LOD made of Canare Starquad and another made from Jena cryo copper, and they're absolutely indistinguishable.

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 36
Just go the cheap one for now so you don't end up regretting it - it sounds like you're on a bit of a budget, and I assume you're not one who currently appreciates the nuances different cables can bring.

However, apologies if my assumptions are incorrect.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 36
Cables cannot sound different, because there is no reason for different conductors (silver/copper/whatever) to conduct different frequencies better or worse. All frequencies are conducted in the same manner. People like Ken from ALO are lying when they say that different lods sound different. It has been scientifically proved (by rmaa tests) that both cheap and expensive interconnects conduct the same frequency range. There is NO possibility for different lods to sound different, unless some of them have broken channels or are equipped with conductors made of plastic or crap.

G

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 36
I'll look into the microshar then, and see how cheap it is. I am on a budget, btw, but that is because I have spent a huge amount of money in the past couple of weeks, plus I need to buy a new laptop for college pretty soon. I love music- obviously i do not know if i will tell the difference until I hear the thing in person.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 36
I got a free LOD with my samsung surround sound system. It great because on the end its got the male audio connector as well as a USB male connector. It is only about 5-6 inches long.

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 36
Jun 16, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 36
That cable will definitely work (assuming it's not defective).

What you get with a more expensive cable:

- shorter cable that makes a compact rig
- nicer looking cable
- better workmanship in some cases
- better connectors in some cases

I use the ALO Cryo Dock because I really love the way it looks in my rig. I am more confident in the longevity of the cable also. I know how anal I am... I would have tried 4 or 5 different cheap cables before I found one I liked so for me the ALO dock was probably cheaper.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Microshar is about 60 bucks per cable- that is expensive, not cheap. If that's supposed to be cheap, what the hell does an expensive cable cost?

Anyway- will this get the job done? Or should I open my wallet a little wider? Link below

Cables To Go - 4ft iPod®-Compatible 3.5mm to Dock Connector Audio Cable

it'll work just fine. The 4 feet length might be a bit annoying though.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cables cannot sound different, because there is no reason for different conductors (silver/copper/whatever) to conduct different frequencies better or worse. All frequencies are conducted in the same manner. People like Ken from ALO are lying when they say that different lods sound different. It has been scientifically proved (by rmaa tests) that both cheap and expensive interconnects conduct the same frequency range. There is NO possibility for different lods to sound different, unless some of them have broken channels or are equipped with conductors made of plastic or crap.

G

I agree. Although I am not the most experienced person to discuss this, I am very skeptical of anything that can not be scientifically proven. If there is no double blinded, placebo controlled data to support these claims, then nobody should claim them as a fact. The placebo effect (and the wallet effect) is pretty powerful.
Critical thinking is essential; yet, I also get caught up on the excitement of having new toys.
There is a limit on how much I will expend, though, not only in Hi-Fi, but in everything else I have. Could drive a BMW, but my Honda Fit works just fine.

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 36
Unless someone has something for around 30 bucks that will last long and be of great quality, I will go with what I found. 85 bucks for that cryo is just ridiculous. Thanks for the help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back