iPod / iPhone output digital audio via Apple Camera Connector for iPod?
Oct 20, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #46 of 78
A few months back i was thinking about those same questions so i got an iBasso T3 for my 2009 iPod Classic and it showed me what an amp can do to an already very good sound ( I already liked the Classic HP out but the T3 improved a bit the frequency response and more the crosstalk performance).

I got it just out of curiosity since i use the iPhone for the daily commute but i just wanted to know by my ears what a good portable amp could add.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #47 of 78
Well, buy something you can use with both, if cost is an issue? Personally the iPad isn't my main listening device but when I heard about the USB DAC functionality, I'll admit to almost buying one! That's Head-Fi for you!

Oh, I can also attest to the pico slim being very good indeed. It is awesome for sensitive IEMs, so I would be interested in the Pico DAC/Amp if I could have only one. Just my .02

Cheers!

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #50 of 78
OK guys, iOS 4.2 just came out today! 

Anyone with an iPhone 4 able to verify that it does or does not work with the Camera Connection Kit to output digital USB audio out?

I'd love to get an iPhone 4 if it supports an external DAC/amp. Currently carrying around the iPad for such, but it's a bit big for a pocket.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #51 of 78

Quote:
OK guys, iOS 4.2 just came out today! 

Anyone with an iPhone 4 able to verify that it does or does not work with the Camera Connection Kit to output digital USB audio out?

I'd love to get an iPhone 4 if it supports an external DAC/amp. Currently carrying around the iPad for such, but it's a bit big for a pocket.

**Bump**

I await the answer to this question with bated breath!

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #52 of 78
popcorn.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #53 of 78
I tried my Camera Connector kit with an iPad and an iPhone 4, both running 4.2.1.  I connected them via USB to a Headroom Portable Desktop amp with DAC.

The iPad digital out worked fine (both iPod and Netflix apps).

The iPhone 4 doesn't -- 'This accessory is not supported by iPhone'

Guess I'm not surprised.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #55 of 78
Very glad I caught this thread, I didn't realize there was this solution to digital out, at least for the iPad.  Kit on order...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 2, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #56 of 78

Alas, all is not well.  My camera kit, when connected to my iBasso D12, generates an error that the USB device draws too much power, whether or not the device is in "charge" mode.  Anyone else see this?

Edit: found the right thread.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 25, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #59 of 78
Theoretically it is possible because HDMI is pure digital output. So if iPhone 4 are able to deliver digital audio and video we can tap from it and use it to feed a dac. The real problem is that a USB DAC usually use the 5V USB to power the dac chip. As far as I know iPhone 4 does not have usb on the go mode but iPad does have it. That explain why you can't use the camera kit with iPhone 4.
If we are able to tap the digital out from the HDMI (using HDMI to usb?) many dac are still not compatible because HDMI gives 5V 50mA max output (many dac works with 100mA), so it will only work with self powered dac.

Quote:
A new HDMI / USB adapter for iPad / iPhone 4:
http://www.umazone.jp/Page/GOODSDETAIL-276
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110325_435107.html

Does it allow an iPhone 4 to output digital audio to a normal USB DAC?

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #60 of 78

Quote:
I tried my Camera Connector kit with an iPad and an iPhone 4, both running 4.2.1.  I connected them via USB to a Headroom Portable Desktop amp with DAC.

The iPad digital out worked fine (both iPod and Netflix apps).

The iPhone 4 doesn't -- 'This accessory is not supported by iPhone'

Guess I'm not surprised.

New iPhone 4S & new iOS 5.0 compliant to the Camera Connection Kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back