iPod / iPhone output digital audio via Apple Camera Connector for iPod?
May 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

DanBa

Headphoneus Supremus
I am wondering if the iPod / iPhone can output raw digital audio to an external DAC via the Apple Camera Connector for iPod:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Camera-Connector-iPod-White/dp/B00083PGFS

The iPad can output raw digital audio to an external DAC via the iPad camera connection kit:

iPad > iPad camera connection kit > TTVJ Slim > Ultrasone Edition 8

The iPad camera connection kit or the Apple Camera Connector for iPod should include an Apple authentication chip which carries out IAP (iPod Accessory Protocol) authentication operations on an accessory device and allows the accessory device to access to the iPad / iPod to bypass the iPad’s / iPod's internal DAC.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 78
I have read that the iPhone / iPod Touch cannot use the connection kit for audio output right now (I believe I read that on the Camera Conncection Kit thread).  My take is that they probably will be able to with the next iPhone OS update.  The iPad is running OS 3.2 that has items that the current iPhone / iPod Touch does not since they are on OS 3.1.3.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 78
I don’t think so because for the time being the iPad cannot interoperate with the Onkyo ND-S1 iPod/iPhone dock:
http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/home/2010/4/11/first-ipad-in-a-car-part-2.html

The Apple IAP authentication procedure is something like the following:

Apple authentication chip of the Onkyo ND-S1 -> iPad:
Hi! I’m an iPod/iPhone authenticated auxiliary device. Could you please open your digital audio gate?

iPad -> Apple authentication chip of the Onkyo ND-S1:
No! I can only open my digital audio gate if you are an iPad-authenticated auxiliary device

However, if Apple people don’t want to get shot in their foot (by Android devices), the Apple authentication procedure in the upcoming Apple firmware could be the following:

Apple authentication chip of the Onkyo ND-S1 -> iPad:
Hi! I’m an iPod/iPhone authenticated auxiliary device. Could you please open your digital audio gate?

iPad -> Apple authentication chip of the Onkyo ND-S1:
Yes! I can open my digital audio gate, because you are either an iPad-authenticated auxiliary device or an iPod/iPhone authenticated auxiliary device.

or

Apple authentication chip of the iPad camera connection kit -> iPod/iPhone:
Hi! I’m an iPad-authenticated auxiliary device. Could you please open your digital audio gate?

iPod/iPhone -> Apple authentication chip of the iPad camera connection kit:
Yes! I can open my digital audio gate, because you are an iPod/iPhone authenticated auxiliary device or an iPad-authenticated auxiliary device.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 78
I would have preferred sock puppets, but thanks for that. :)

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 78
Quote:
I would have preferred sock puppets, but thanks for that. :)

etysmile.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 78
Sorry for this kind of writing!

It is influenced by the Alice & Bob example from the cryptography course.
http://www.definityhealth.com/marketing/how_ssl_works.html

No intent to offense.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 78
will this work with other DAC/headphone amps?

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 78
Oh thanks! I am looking forward to getting my stuff (yes, I ordered an iPad) for whilst out and about. I need to have the freedom to shoot and write and my laptop doesn't allow me that without pain. A bit of finger pain may throw me, but I'm prepared to wrinkle into the iPad's cramped virtual keyboard.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 78
Jun 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 78
I mean the camera connection kit for the iPad - there is hope that the OS 4.0 will enable usb audio on the iPhone/iPod touch, but who knows. I will be using the Headphonia usb cable, a 59$ usb DAC that uses next to no power compared to outboard amp/DAC solutions. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 78
My iPhone 4 showed up today. Just tried plugging in my Camera Connector -- no luck.   "This accessory is not supported by iPhone."

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 78
My iPhone 4 showed up today.  Plugged in my Camera Connector -- accessory not supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back