iPod/iPhone LOD Internals Gallery
Jun 11, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #47 of 55
excuse me for digging this thread up, im new to head-fi, and i've made an LOD for my 1st iphone with the 68k resistor. But i cannot notice any different in sound quality compare with its original 3.5mm female's headphone jack. And the question is " does the jena wire (or any thing better) give better performance? " hope to see your answer, thanks in advance! ^^
PS: I tried it with my Koss Ksc35
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #50 of 55
If I'd put a female jack on the other side of the LOD (just assuming something, not planning on doing it), and I plug in the regular ipod headphones, then they'll probably not work or very low volume? The headphone jack makes the DAC signal go through it's built in amplifier of the ipod right?

Also, I read that the 68k ohm resistor is needed for compatibility, but why exactly isn't it compatible, while the normal ipods have no problem with no resistor.

Just trying to get these things out of the way
wink.gif

Dries

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #51 of 55
Actually, it may sound pretty loud, but NOT very good.
I'll explain a little about what's going on:

Since you're using an ipod, your music is stored digitally, and has to be converted back to an an analog signal (sound is analog, and speakers/headphones/etc receive analog signals to re-produce the analog sound). Thats what the DAC does. Digital to Analog Conversion. Most DAC's are designed to do just that, and are not capable of actually driving a load properly. The DAC does output a line level signal though, which actually has the largest voltage swings, so it may sound loud. It just can't supply the current. You need an amplifier, which will basically replicate the DACs output analog signal with one very similar to it, but the ability to drive a load. Without it, the DAC just wont function properly. The iphone has a little amp inside, but if you're here, you're after a better one
wink.gif

Anyway, lots of info around here.. thats just a little foundation. Good like in your pursuit, welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #52 of 55
thanks explains alot. I know what Dac stands for though I thought that as it uses a built in amplifier in the ipod then it would probably not drive the load (or just very small loads).
Allthough what are the exact sign that it can't drive the load? Thin soundings because of lack in bass? Stuff like that...

PS: True about the wallet part... I haven't been on here for long but I my already thin wallet is screaming in pain right now.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, an LOD gets the signal from the DAC output of the iPod/iPhone, as long as the amp you are using is better than the built-in one, it'll sound better, if not, then it'll sound worse.

i'm using a fiio E5 headamp, any recommendation for a new amp hear?
L3000.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excuse me for digging this thread up, im new to head-fi, and i've made an LOD for my 1st iphone with the 68k resistor. But i cannot notice any different in sound quality compare with its original 3.5mm female's headphone jack. And the question is " does the jena wire (or any thing better) give better performance? " hope to see your answer, thanks in advance! ^^
PS: I tried it with my Koss Ksc35
smily_headphones1.gif
)

are you using an amp?? cant reall tell you much if you dont give us enough info. koss KCS35 actually IMO sound considerably better using a decent amp and scale quite well. as for iphone HP out vs. l/o the iphone actually has a pretty clean HP out; the line out will produce a cleaner signal with better extension and soundstage; but unless you are 8sing a decent amp and headphones tyhat are capable of good resolution, you wont hear much difference; wont matter what wires you use you will still have that bottleneck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back