iPod Headphone Problem
Feb 2, 2011 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Krzysiu

New Head-Fier
Hello I'm new to the site and I'm hoping I can find some help here. I have a 4G iPod touch and when I plug in either my Sennheiser HD555's or Shure SE115's, music sounds extremely off. On some songs, vocals and beats are missing, or some sounds are extremely quite. These headphones work perfectly fine when connected to my laptop or on my older 30GB iPod Video. Also the headphones that came with my iPod work on the iPod touch as well as my computer speakers. The Sennheiser and Shure headphones worked perfectly fine on my iPod a week ago.Any one else experience this problem or know how to fix it? It's absolutely horrible listening to music with the Apple headphones.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 14
Try playing around with the EQ settings. 
That could help....IMO. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 14
^^^ good question. Is it only with those headphones or all headphones? Have you tried the original apple headphones? That way you KNOW it's the ipod that is to question

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 14
If currawong suggestion doesn't work, there is something wrong with your headphone jack (ipod).

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 14
Ya sounds to me like the plug isn't making full contact to the socket or the socket has gone bad.  Have you ever tried slightly removing a headphone plug from its jack while you are listening to music and you lose a huge amount of the frequency range?  I imagine that is what you are experiencing.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 14
hey,

so my itouch 2nd gen started giving my like no bass, or sounds that were like they were under water. through trying different headphones and other ipods i came to the conclusion that its my audio jack. there are a few suggestions on youtube like taking a small metal ring out of a spring from a pen.

that didnt work for me so i went to ebay and ordered a new audio jack and prying tools to open my itouch. there are tons of videos online to both show you how to open ipods and also how to replace the audio jack (or wtv else like a battery or screen).

i will get back to you on how i do replacing it (hopefully i dont crack my screen)

ooh and i went to an apple store and asked how much it was for the fix..  110 to 150 bucks.. the jack/tools/delivery cost me under 10 bucks on ebay!

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 14
My initial though was what currawong suggested. I blew it out with compressed air and used a LED light to look inside the jack but there was no obstruction blocking the way. The plug was all the way in because you could feel it "click" in.

I talked to an Apple representative over the phone and they said that the problem should be covered under my basic warranty. The original iPod headphones and my old computer speakers work on the iPod. Just for an example, when playing the song Du Hast by Rammstein, throughout the entire song you can only hear the keyboard and light vocals. Drums, guitar, and basically everything else is missing. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 14
If you are missing a large amount of the song it is usually the sign of a bad connection.  If it is covered under your warranty, great!  If not, then you might be about to play "operation" if you don't want to fork out the money for someone else to fix it for you.

Quote:
My initial though was what currawong suggested. I blew it out with compressed air and used a LED light to look inside the jack but there was no obstruction blocking the way. The plug was all the way in because you could feel it "click" in.

I talked to an Apple representative over the phone and they said that the problem should be covered under my basic warranty. The original iPod headphones and my old computer speakers work on the iPod. Just for an example, when playing the song Du Hast by Rammstein, throughout the entire song you can only hear the keyboard and light vocals. Drums, guitar, and basically everything else is missing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back