ipod eq??
Nov 11, 2002 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sillyboi

New Head-Fier
hello, i just bought an ipod not too long ago... and i am quite happy with my choice of going for a 5gb with an isee case but the thing i am wondering about, is that the setting for the "bass booster" doesn't really seem to... hrm... boost anything, my ipod doesn't have the same bass as it would compared to my cd player.. is it suppose to be like that? or am i missing something here?

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 16
What settings are you using to rip your MP3s? Remember that most MP3s are lacking in bass and detail compared to the original recording anyways, so it follows that any MP3 player, without using EQ, will sound like it has less bass than a CD player. The higher the bitrate you use, and the better the encoder, the better the bass, but it will never have as good of bass as the original.

As for the "bass boost," I assume you're referring to the "Bass Booster" setting on the iPod? If so, it clearly increases the bass on my iPod; however, it's one of the better "bass boosts" I've heard, mainly because it's subtle. In other words, it's not like the horrible bass boost circuits on most portables that makes the sound boomy and muddy; rather, it appears to be just a subtle way to counteract the natural bass recession of MP3s. If you're looking for a major bass boost so that you have a "boomin'" iPod, you should EQ your MP3s when you rip them.

I hear a lot of people say that the iPod lacks bass. As my history on Head-Fi can attest, I tend to be quite critical of things that lack *real* bass
wink.gif
However, I don't think the iPod lacks bass unless you want "boom."

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 16
most of the mp3's are encoded around 128... i have some that are 320k but not alot.. i have a winamp plug that let's u play with the eq.. cept how do i save the eq onto the mp3? is there some program i need?

Nov 13, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 16
hello!

well... this has nothing to do with the bass issue.... (my ipod sounds great on equalizer setting at "rock" and most of the mp3 are ripped higher than 190+kbps) but becareful with "isee" case.... it's that rubbery case, isn't it? i had one and a friend bought one as well.. i hardly used mine as it constatly got stuck in my bag... anyway, apparently my friend told me that if somehow dirt, etc gets caught inbetween the case and ipod, it works like a sand paper and scratches the ipod..... he's is badly scratched.. :frowning2: so make sure that doesn't happen to your beautiful ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

have a fantastic day!

Nov 13, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 16
sillyboi:

It's not a problem with mp3...the ipod's bass is just not up to par with other players. Higher encoded mp3's give you more detail in the higher frequencies, not the low end...so encoding at higher bitrates won't make a difference in terms of bass.

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by cstyle
It's not a problem with mp3...the ipod's bass is just not up to par with other players.

I completely disagree. If you think the iPod's bass "isn't up to other players," you like exaggerated bass. Not that there's anything wrong with that
wink.gif
It's just that the iPod doesn't artificially inflate the bass or give you a big button that says "bass boost."

Like I said above, I tend to be very critical of poor bass, but I've done a lot of comparisons between the iPod, original sources, and some other MP3 players. That's why I finally bought an iPod after debating for over a year about which to get. A lot of other MP3 players boost the bass. If you want to say the iPod doesn't emphasize the bass, that's true. But to say it "lacks" bass is inaccurate.

Quote:

Higher encoded mp3's give you more detail in the higher frequencies, not the low end...so encoding at higher bitrates won't make a difference in terms of bass.

That's not correct. Better MP3s will give you better detail, as I mentioned above; but they'll also give you a bit better bass.

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 16
ipod is brilliant... i think it literally will change how people listen to music in a package, in terms of design and interface, that simply is brilliant.... it changed how i pack for trips, everyday walking, etc. completely. well... then i am an "apple" groupie since '85... my first macintosh in junior high.... or was it high school? old... old....
rolleyes.gif

the sound quality of an ipod is very good for what it is... just change the headphone and it is night and day.. but i must say, the new headphones that come with remote isn't bad at all for every day use in a jungle called "manhattan..."

Nov 17, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by cstyle
Here's the truth about mp3's. Don't make up stuff...back it up with proof. The low end is not affected by bitrate...only highs. It's not a problem with mp3.

http://www.fliptech.net/bitrate.shtml

If you look at the page of your link you will see that the range used in the tests, covers only the high frequencies. The test starts at the 8000hz. So... you don't prove that mp3 doesn't lack of bass...

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 16
Not that those graphs mean anything to real listening results...
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 17, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 16
The bitrate doesn't influence low frequency extension – in contrast to the high end. But it depends on the encoder: some limit the bandwidth already at 256 kbps, other don't even at 128 kbps. However, the bandwidth limitation isn't the only quality criterion, not even the most important one. What counts more is the data reduction factor itself.

The iPod's lack of bass nevertheless certainly isn't pure invention. I experience the same with my Archos Jukebox, but only with low impedance headphones, not with my HD 600, e.g.! So I'm quite sure that all those complainers use such ones with their iPods. I've already posted a concerning hint at measurements made from the German «Stereoplay» magazine – and extrapolated the curve representing a 20 ohm load to some common headphones:

Sony MDR-F1 (12 ohms)
20 Hz -17 dB ... 30 Hz -11 dB ... 40 Hz -8 dB ... 70 Hz -5 dB ... 100 Hz -3.5 dB

Reference curve (20 ohms)
20 Hz -10.5 dB ... 30 Hz -7 dB ... 40 Hz -5 dB ... 70 Hz -2.5 dB ... 100 Hz -1.5 dB

Etymotic ER-4P (27 ohms)
20 Hz -8.5 dB ... 30 Hz -6 dB ... 40 Hz -4 dB ... 70 Hz -2 dB ... 100 Hz -1 dB

Grado SR 60 (32 ohms)
20 Hz -7 dB ... 30 Hz -4.5 dB ... 40 Hz -3 dB ... 70 Hz -1.3 dB ... 100 Hz -0.7 dB

Koss Portapro (60 ohms)
20 Hz -3 dB ... 30 Hz -1.5 dB ... 40 Hz -1 dB ... 70 Hz -0.3 dB ... 100 Hz -0.1 dB

Sennheiser HD 590 (120 ohms)
20 Hz -1 dB ... 30 Hz -0.5 dB ... 40 Hz -0.3 dB ... 70 Hz -0.05 dB ... 100 Hz -0.0 dB

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Nov 17, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by xatax
If you look at the page of your link you will see that the range used in the tests, covers only the high frequencies. The test starts at the 8000hz. So... you don't prove that mp3 doesn't lack of bass...

If you noticed, the drop-offs only start to occur at 15000...there's no need to look at the whole range of frequencies. That's my whole point... Mp3 bitrates don't affect bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back