iPod Custom EQ - Yes, it CAN be done!!!
Dec 15, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #62 of 91
It definitely doesn't work. I just tested by changing the 'Flat' EQ setting in the iTunes equaliser to -12DB on each frequency. Then I played a song at normal level.

I switched 'Flat' on and off and there was a very noticeable change in volume.

I then synced my iPhone and tried the same test. Absolutely no difference in volume whatsoever.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by horribleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It definitely doesn't work. I just tested by changing the 'Flat' EQ setting in the iTunes equaliser to -12DB on each frequency. Then I played a song at normal level.

I switched 'Flat' on and off and there was a very noticeable change in volume.

I then synced my iPhone and tried the same test. Absolutely no difference in volume whatsoever.

smily_headphones1.gif

You also have to right click on the specific song and have it set to use that specific EQ setting, then sync it. Otherwise you are correct in saying it will not work. Great find but too time consuming and unrealstic in real life application for my tastes.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #65 of 91
IT DOESNT WORK

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #68 of 91
I'll post this here, as it seems new people are wasting their time, like a number of us have in the past:

Notes

• iPod does not use custom equalizer settings made in iTunes.
  • You can't create custom equalizer settings on iPod, or transfer custom settings to iPod.
  • Turn EQ off if you don’t use it. Equalizer is a feature that uses your iPod battery more quickly. If you don’t use EQ, your iPod will play tunes longer. Adding EQs to playback uses more of your iPod processor, since they aren’t encoded in the song. If, however, you’ve added EQ to tracks in iTunes, you’ll need to set EQ to “flat? in order to have the effect of “off,? because iPod keeps your iTunes settings intact.

C/O Apple Support

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #69 of 91
just a question. if i make an itunes preset and make all my music on my ipod play that preset by default with eq off will it be applied?

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #70 of 91

Quote:
just a question. if i make an itunes preset and make all my music on my ipod play that preset by default with eq off will it be applied?

No, a "custom" EQ setting will not be transferred over to the iPod touch/iPhone/classic for playback. You can use a preset that is already in iTunes - but no custom setting can be used - and we ALL hate THAT.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #72 of 91
nice!! thanks, works on my ipod touch 4g, sounds a lot better

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #75 of 91
OK I have been trying to get a satisfactory EQ with my iPod Nano 6G and Sony MDR-ZX700 headphones. As you may already be aware the ZX700's have a sharp dropoff on the bass freqencies. As others have noted many of the iPods do not allow you to set a custom EQ. All of the above suggestions *DO NOT WORK* on something like an iPod Nano 6G.

However. There *IS* a workaround! :)

Basically what you do is select the songs on your iPod you want to EQ (Not in your library! You do not want to change those!). Right click, select 'Get Iinfo', Select the 'Options' tab. Now you will see there is an option to enable EQ. Tick the box and on the dropdown select the custom EQ you created. Click OK and it will apply the EQ to your selected songs. You don't need EQ on on you iPod as it is applied onto the song itself (Losslessly I might add but it may affect being able to get the track/file back to where it was before so make sure you always have a backup in your master library before you do this). Leave EQ 'Off' on your iPod as the track is already EQ'd.

If you do not listen to the songs plugged into any other device but your headphones then it is no big issue to change the file properties themselves rather than the EQ be applied after through presets. Be careful not to save these files back onto your computer with your master library or you may end up with messed up files!

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back