iPod Custom EQ - Yes, it CAN be done!!!
Jan 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

SierraHotel01

100+ Head-Fier
Just got back from Palo Alto Apple Store, where I spoke to one of their "Creatives" about a method that I previously reported on this forum:

How to Get Custom EQ Setting Transferred from iTunes to Your iPod

The definitive answer from Apple: This Method Works!
(except for the Shuffle)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In iTunes, select Window->Equalizer (EQ window pops up)

- Twiddle the slider bars to your heart's content (in EQ pop-up window)
The Menu Bar will now say "Manual"

- Select "Make Preset"
(click/hold on "Manual" and scroll up to top)

- Then, type in a name for your custom EQ setting
that is exactly the same as one of the factory preset names
(e.g. Rock)

iTunes will come back and say:
"A preset with this name already exists. Do you want to replace it?"

- CLICK YES!

- On your iPod, go to Settings / Playback / EQ, and select "Rock".

- Sync your iPod

Ta Da!

- Your new custom EQ setting (with a factory EQ name) will now be operative on your iPod.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Use & enjoy.

PS: recommend only subtractive EQ (i.e. do not set any slider bar above 0db. It will sound better that way - less clipping will occur. Only the "relative position" among the slider bars counts when changing sound signature - their absolute position doesn't - except, (when using subtractive EQ) the need to add a bit more volume to achieve the same SPL)

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 91
Cool, how many bands does it have? Is it available for the Touch?

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, how many bands does it have? Is it available for the Touch?

iTunes has a 10 band EQ
(32, 64, 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, 160000 hz)

Haven't tried the technique on iTouch, but Apple says it works.

I've successfully used the technique on 3G iPhone, 3G Nano, 4G Nano.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 91
Very cool, thanks for the useful information. I have bookmarked this thread, I'm sure it'll be useful next time I get an iPod.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 91
Please, just help get the word out.

Most folks don't believe it works!
an awesome capability.

PS: I always use "Rock" as my vehicle;
however, once I iterate to an optimal EQ for a particular set of cans, I save it in iTunes under the unique name of that headphone (e.g. Westone 3, which for me is -2db@125, -1db@250). Then when I pull out my SE530's, I go to iTunes, call up the SE530 setting,
rename it Rock,and THEN, sync my iPod.
voila...my rig is configured for 530's, yet my "lost" Westone 3 setting (the EQ setting that Rock had been saved as, when we started) is still saved on iTunes, as Westone 3, in the EQ list. (hope that made sense)
Use the "Rock" setting as your "Custom-Equalization-Transfer-Vehicle".

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 91
Cool! Those who want EQ on their ipods without rockbox will be very happy with this
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 91
Does the EQ illustration such as the split screen in the 6G change when this is done?

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most folks don't believe it works!

Maybe that's because it doesn't work. This was discussed last month and AFAIK no one was able to duplicate the procedure successfully. Did you do as suggested in that prior thread and try setting a terrible-sounding EQ such as all bass sliders up and treble down, or vice-versa (make it really bad and obvious so as to remove the chance for placebo) and then activate that 'custom' EQ on the iPod? You'll find that it doesn't work. Sorry, but there is no custom EQ capability on an iPod, and the 'definitive answer' appears on the Apple support website, not what some employee in a storefront says.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe that's because it doesn't work. This was discussed last month and AFAIK no one was able to duplicate the procedure successfully. Did you do as suggested in that prior thread and try setting a terrible-sounding EQ such as all bass sliders up and treble down, or vice-versa (make it really bad and obvious so as to remove the chance for placebo) and then activate that 'custom' EQ on the iPod? You'll find that it doesn't work. Sorry, but there is no custom EQ capability on an iPod, and the 'definitive answer' appears on the Apple support website, not what some employee in a storefront says.

I did what you suggest and I agree, it doesn't work. I made the first 5 bands down and the last 5 up (all the way). This should have been obvious and it DID NOT change.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i think all hopefuls have done this too. i think i even made such a claim that it could be done back in 2007 or so... cannot remember and then wanting to hide afterward. i will also concur: it does not seem to work... sadly

Well, I'm all for getting to the bottom of this issue.
(Experimented today with W3's, and if the effect isn't real, then I'm just thankful the "placebo effect" works in my brain - making it "think" the mid-bass was a a bit bloated before, but isn't now, after -3db @ 250hz.)
Next time you're at an Apple Store, please - ask a Genius or Creative.
It would be interesting to see what they say.
Meanwhile, since I'm in Silicon Valley, I'll try to get to get an answer from an Apple Corporate management contact.
(the funny part about the Apple Store's response in Palo Alto store, was that halfway through the question, the lady started nodding, and when I pressed her with: "Are you absolutely sure about that? No doubt, whatsoever?" The Apple response: "Without a doubt - I'm sure, except for the Shuffle".)
...I'm just reporting what the Apple Store lady said on Friday, 9 Jan 09.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 91
Quote:

Well, I'm all for getting to the bottom of this issue.
(Experimented today with W3's, and if the effect isn't real, then I'm just thankful the "placebo effect" works in my brain - making it "think" the mid-bass was a a bit bloated before, but isn't now, after -3db @ 250hz.)

Trying to discern a 3 dB cut at 250hz is just begging for confusion. Have you tried the simple experiment above (creating an obviously bad EQ) in order to sort it out?

Quote:

Next time you're at an Apple Store, please - ask a Genius or Creative. It would be interesting to see what they say.

Well if they are giving you this info then they may be creative, but they sure aren't a genius...
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 91
This method has been discussed many times before and was concluded as not true. I remember experimenting with my ipod when I first discovered this "method" and it simply did not work.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 91
well what I dud, lucky I use rockbox anyway. what made you actually think it worked for you?? surely you didnt go OMG that sounds so much better even though the ipod did absolutely nothing when I synced it?? the ipod didnt so much as blink on when I tried this out. it must be magic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back