iPod Classic!
Sep 12, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #181 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the new GUI and slimmer form factor are worth the extra money. I don't currently own an ipod, but if I had to choose, I'd go with another player. But if it had to be an ipod, I'd rather just upgrade an older player with a bigger hard driver, than have a fancy interface.

What do you mean "extra money"? The 80GB 5G player was $349, the 80GB Classic is $249. Other than a refurb or a discontinued model you might find on closeout, name another MP3 player with that capacity at that price.

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #182 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean "extra money"? The 80GB 5G player was $349, the 80GB Classic is $249. Other than a refurb or a discontinued model you might find on closeout, name another MP3 player with that capacity at that price.

I was going to say the same thing. The price of storage continues to rapidly decline. A couple of years ago I paid $400 for a 20GB iRiver H-120 that was a complete PITA to use. Last year when my wife bought her 5.5G 30GB iPod, it was $299. The current Zune is 30GB for $199. The 6G Classics, 80/160 for $249/$349 offer tremendous value for dollar. If they were more than the 5.5G, then I'd agree that to some the eye candy UI changes and extra space might not be worth it, but they're less than the previous model!

And also, as someone who had owned or supported (helping family members) just about every iPod created, I can say that the new UI is a wonderful improvement over the old and maybe the most significant change ever.

There's just no comparison to the old. The Search feature alone is an incredibly useful new feature that was long overdue (IHMO). Cover Flow (for me) is a great way to find albums, and the rest of the eye candy changes are a welcome improvement. I'm not an Apple fanboy, and actually dislike Macs in general, but Apple has raised the MP3 player bar again.

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #184 of 278
I just got home with my new 80gb Classic. Cant wait to get some music on it. So I have a 60gb 5g, 80gb 5.5g, and a 80gb 6g. I have a "touch" on order. will need to see how they compare. The 80gb classic is very thin compared to the 5.5g 80gb. To all that have bought the classic so far, I hope you are happy with them and they serve you well.

eggosmile.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #185 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Search is in 5th gen., just to clarify.

There is? Where? I'm looking at my 30GB 5.5G and I don't see anything that is a search. Plenty of scrolling, but no searching. If there is a search function on a 5.5G that I just haven't enabled or something, please share!

Edit: My wife's iPod is not a 5.5G, but just a regular 5G. I was mistaken. There isn't a search function on the original 5G iPod, but there most certainly is on the 5.5. My mistake.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #186 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is? Where? I'm looking at my 30GB 5.5G and I don't see anything that is a search. Plenty of scrolling, but no searching. If there is a search function on a 5.5G that I just haven't enabled or something, please share!

Edit: My wife's iPod is not a 5.5G, but just a regular 5G. I was mistaken. There isn't a search function on the original 5G iPod, but there most certainly is on the 5.5. My mistake.

Wow, I'd consider that to be a pretty big difference. That's the worst example of Apple's firmware policy I've ever heard! I cannot imagine any of the other differences between 5/5.5G to have contributed to their NOT adding a search function to the 5th gen.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #188 of 278
I went to the apple store to checkout these units. Two things I didn't like on the classic was that audio skipped sometimes and the unit is just too slow for me. I don't like the response of the wheel, it's feel, and navigating is just too slow.

Sound quality wise, I'll have to bring my own headphones next time. Those bose and sony noise cancelling is just not painting an unadultered sound.

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #189 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the apple store to checkout these units. Two things I didn't like on the classic was that audio skipped sometimes and the unit is just too slow for me.

The skipping has been reported by some on the Apple forums too. I'm not sure what to make of it, mine hasn't skipped once in the six days I've been using it.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #190 of 278
I tested the Classic instore today. I've never used an iPod before, except for very few very brief moments from friends. I can say that the scroll wheel is annoying for precision. If you're in a list and want to go only one item down, it's nearly impossible...

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #191 of 278
I finally got my Classic loaded up fully - you get right about 148GB on the "160GB" Classic.

Listening to it now (via the line out of course). Sounds quite good, IMO. I will have to do a full comparison to the stock 5.5G and the 5.5G iMod at some point (NOT real soon; too many other projects). But the SQ from the Line out of the 6G Classic is definitely good.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #193 of 278
I'm not the right person for that. I never use the iPod headphone outputs. My 4G iMods don't even HAVE headphone outs anymore
smily_headphones1.gif
So I am not a good person to judge. I'm sure I'll say "it sounds like crap", since the line out going into any of my headphone amps sounds far better.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #194 of 278
Oh, well. Apparently, the iPod 6G HO is sufficient enough to drive high end IEMs. That would be nice because I would like something to tide me over till I purchase an amp. All speculation though
smily_headphones1.gif
. Any one want to confirm this?

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #195 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by lustaficko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, well. Apparently, the iPod 6G HO is sufficient enough to drive high end IEMs. That would be nice because I would like something to tide me over till I purchase an amp. All speculation though
smily_headphones1.gif
. Any one want to confirm this?

The 6G certainly drives the E500s well without an amp. With full size headphones and the classic an amp makes a bigger difference. I should try it with my E5Cs sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back