iPod Classic - the only large capacity, great sounding player with a nice UI?
Mar 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Perplexed

Head-Fier
I'm on the prowl for something with a nice big storage capacity (>60GB), a great UI (haven't yet found a player with a better UI than iPods) and awesome SQ.

Anyone know any good alternatives?

I'm tempted to just buy an old 5G iPod from eBay - will this be risky? As they're so old I'm scared if I buy one the HDD will fail really soon.

What are the new 6G/6.5G/7G classics like? I know they don't have the same Wolfson chip, but are they still any good? If I got one with a new pair of headphones and an amp would I need an external DAC too to get good SQ, and would this then match the old 5G or is the Classic fundamentally rubbish in the sound department?

I wish Apple would just re-release the 5G. Everyone would buy it.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 24
With the same source material, I couldn't tell any real audible difference in SQ between my 5.5G iPod Video and a new iPod Classic (either with Brainwavz M4's or Grado 225i's + PA2V2 amp).  I think people are getting a bit too caught up in that $1-5 piece of silicon when it comes to the Classic lineup. 

If you need a high capacity player, the iPod Classic is a great (and almost your only) choice.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 24
It used to be the iPod Classic & the Zune 120. If you are talking about using the players by themselves, I think you would find a lot of people who would tell you the Zune sounded better.(& I seemed to like the Zune software a little bit more). The Zune players (except for the HD are'nt available anymore & I don't know if they showup on the used market like the iPods do as they did'nt sell nearly the numbers as Apple has) The good thing about the Classics(or other iPods) is you can upgrade from their basic sq to home quality in any number of ways.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 24
If you're afraid of the HD failing, you could always do the Flash upgrade :wink:

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 24
For me, the idea of swapping out cards to create a pseudo "high capacity" DAP is a PITA.  Having 160GB (all lossless) in the Classic, plus the flexibility of using it solo or pairing with an HP-P1 and/or a good portable amp, makes it the way to go for my needs.  

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 24
Here's a listing for Zune 120's: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=zune+120gb&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=672&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1215759724812199565&sa=X&ei=5mBST867PI-40QHygtjKDQ&ved=0CFoQ8wIwAA

I would grab one to use with my Digizoid ZO right now, but I just purchased a set of sennheiser hd280 pro cans,...no $$$ for the purchase ATM. I currently use an iPod classic 160gb with my Digizoid ZO - sounds fantastic together, same as the Zune will. IMO the Zune is still a great option, and you can upgrade the HDD.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
zune has better ui and controls than any ipod. itunes crap too compared to zune sw.

better UI and controls is obejctive depending on the person.

iTunes was mean to be closed

for a cheap price. there really isnt much out there. their are many Apple haters on head fi but for sub $300 that will deliver a great DAC and Line out option with your favorite UI..is hard not to jump on.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 24
That's good to hear. So there's no sort of 'empty', clinical, flat feel to the new classics then? I love the warmth and openness of my PC, and am afraid an iPod will be completely the opposite.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
That's good to hear. So there's no sort of 'empty', clinical, flat feel to the new classics then? I love the warmth and openness of my PC, and am afraid an iPod will be completely the opposite.

.....sadly the only way to know is to test. but remember, it's your money. do what4ever you feel is best. everybody hears differently

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
For me, the idea of swapping out cards to create a pseudo "high capacity" DAP is a PITA.  Having 160GB (all lossless) in the Classic, plus the flexibility of using it solo or pairing with an HP-P1 and/or a good portable amp, makes it the way to go for my needs.  

I have one 64GB card for my HiFiMan, so that fits OPs size requirement, and the ibasso is 64 internal and takes a card...so you don't need to much swapping there...just saying...

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for all the replies.

My budget is no more than £150 (or $240 shipped to UK) so the iBasso is way out of my price range.

The Hifiman players have so much potential, but they're just downright hideous. There's no way I'd use one of those.

I'll have a look and see if I can pick up a Zune 80/120 (are they the same apart from the size?) used somewhere, but if not would it be better to buy a newish iPod Classic for £100-150 which will last, or a 5G for £50-80 which could break down and leave me stranded?

Cheers

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
Anything can break down at any time, i would go the 5/5,5g ipod and upgrade the disk to 240 gigs and rockbox.

My budget < £150 there's no way I can afford (or be bothered) to do all that.

I've seen the Zune HD 64 and wondering if that's a better bet than the zune 120 / iPod Classic? I'm getting a bit fed up with this tbh, why can't companies learn to make products without clear flaws?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back