iPod Classic - still worthwhile?
Jul 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 40
I still use my Classic everyday and it the only player that I can connect directly to my car head unit
k701smile.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still use my Classic everyday and it the only player that I can connect directly to my car head unit
k701smile.gif

Look into an imod/diymod with a proper blackgate lod... its unbeliavable how much it has upgraded my car stereo just by being a super clean, hi-fi source

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #19 of 40
I'm not going to give up my iPod Classic (80GB) for anything that I currently see on the market. I have zero interest in an iPod Touch. The Touch is locked to using iTunes to sync. iTunes on Windows is horrible and not something I would ever use to manage the music that gets synced to a portable, much less use it to manage my music library as a whole. The Touch is completely out of contention because of that. The Classic can be synced using many different third party tools. The Zune is also out because it is locked to using its inferior software to sync and manage a library.

A big factor for me is having proper gapless playback. The Classic does that. I honestly don't know what I would get to replace the Classic. What else is there currently on the market that does proper gapless playback of MP3 and is not a Touch or a Zune?

Maybe SanDisk will one day get gapless working. Maybe the players in development based on Google's Android will do gapless properly. Maybe one day there will be an alternative to the iPod Classic. For now it's the Classic or nothing for me.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #20 of 40
I love my Classic because it has enough headroom for at least the next couple of years spacewise. I can't say I'm not tempted to get the Cowon S9 or the Sony X1000 series, but until there are 64GB versions of them, I won't even think about it as I like my music collection with me at all times (43GB at 320kbps) including videos as well.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #21 of 40
i use a 120gb classic for car/general, a 16gb nano for skiing/biking/hiking, and an old 6gb mini with an fm modulator (pre-fcc crackdown) for when I want something to play on an FM radio. I think the sound of the classic is the best sounding straight up of these three, but the samsung player my friend just got easily beats it - the yp-s3, I think. The older 1st gen mini 6gb simply sounds horrid compared to either the new nano or the classic. The nano is nice because it can operate at very low temps (great for skiing), but the amp has trouble driving good phones straight up.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #23 of 40
are cowon PMPs better than an ipod classic 120gig 5th gen for sound?

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 40
Its an Apple ritual to refresh theire portable products every year.

We will see new iPods this September 2009
I expect iPod Classic Unibody and iPod Touch 3.Gen with camera...

Maybe I will get me a new iPod Classic 2009 version

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #30 of 40
I have a rockboxed IMOD (complete with w/ external caps and an SR71a) to my ears it beats the my 120GB IPOD classic flat out. The bass extension and the sparkling highs is a plus not to mention I like a warm signature.

But on the go, where I need to go "Commando". I just leave my IMOD at home and go ampless for a while. The Classic to me still a good choice of portable with a large storage space. I now have 70GB of ALAC files in my library so using a 32GB Solid State player will be adding more of a headache than an upgrade right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back