iPod Classic - still worthwhile?
Jul 3, 2009 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Sparky191

Headphoneus Supremus
On looking at Head Fi after a little while away it seems everyone have stopped using their iPod Classic of all generations to move to flash players. Is anyone still using an iPod Classic.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 40
Honestly, I wouldn't bother.. I'd go for the 5 or 5.5g ipod video..

1) it can be rockboxed.. classic can't

2) it can be diymodded/imodded.. classic can't.. well it CAN but it won't have the SQ gain that the 4g/5g/5.5g gets

3) 5.5g is cheaper

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 40
I still sometimes miss my iPod classic honestly. My 30gb 5g is good but the capacity and cleaner line-out of the Classic definitely was nicer for the car. Never tried either with a portable amp.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 40
Oh good point.. the car

The imod/diymod + LOD fed into a car with an AUX input on the car deck = instantly better sounding car deck
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh good point.. the car

The imod/diymod + LOD fed into a car with an AUX input on the car deck = instantly better sounding car deck
biggrin.gif

Not if you have an Alpine 9887 with the full-speed ipod cable that plugs into the dock...

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 40
I've got a 60GB 5G, an 80GB 5.5G, and a 160GB Classic with NO plans on going to solid state. At least until they start selling SS iPods with at least 100GB of storage space. I don't want to have to load my iTunes library onto multiple SS iPods

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 40
I went with an iPod Touch this year after swearing by the Classic for a long time.

The answer depends on what you're looking for in a music player. To me, the value of the app store is indispensable. I do miss the ability carry all my music with me but it's a small price to pay since the higher capacity Touch carries more songs than I'd be able to listen to in a day.

I also think that the Touch is just faster. I haven't noticed any of the UI hang ups that are pretty frequent on my Classic unit.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 40
Definitely grab a 5.5G iPod over the Classic for rockbox. The Classic does apparently have a cleaner line out, but from back when I researched this the actual opinion on which sounded better was mixed because the Classic also uses an inferior DAC chip, for me the extra functionality of rockbox with only the 5.5G down and not the Classic tipped it over the edge.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
160 Gigs is great. I wont give up mine.

I bought my 160GB Classic right before they "went away." It's definitely worthwhile as far as I'm concerned. I use my 160GB Classic strictly for home use with my Wadia. I use my oldest Nano with my vehicles, and I use my newer Nano with my Pico for portable use.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 40
My Classic 80gb is getting on a bit but is still in regular use.

I am presently listening to it via Russ Andrews GQ-24 interconnect and my X-CANS and it sounds fantastic. I tend to use jazz on the eq setting, though that can cause sibilance, in which case I turn the eq off.

It recently went with me on a trip where the battery lasted a good 5 hours and it had still not emptied. With the Sennheiser PX200s it sounded great, but I could have done with some more volume to drown out a noisy bus engine. A portable amp will be the next upgrade as I will be doing the same trip again soon.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 40
Ipod classic for me anytime. If there is something else that holds 160g of lossless music in a box that size I will consider. Rightnow I have most of my favourite music in my ipod that I can listen to in my car and at work. I have a Wadia itransport and a Paradisea+ dac in my office. All I need to carry with me is the 160g classic and I have a big library of lossless music to choose from all day.
My iphone will take care of everything else.

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 40
Classic LOD sounds much loser to iMod's than that of 5G. Thus- if plan to diy/iMod then get 5G. If not- Classic's lod is inferior, but very listenable. This was said long time ago by ALO and Vinnie Rossie of RWA, and my ears have recently confirmed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 40
I don't see why it wouldn't be viable... sure, there are other options, but if you buy an older iPod, you might not get a warranty, and the shear number of accessories for the iPod is really nice.

Plus, nothing integrates quite as well with my mac as my iPod does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back