Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,716 of 3,645
  Pretty stable??

OK, stable. It's been off, on, resuming, switching shuffle on/off, switching from individual tracks to playlists, etc. No problems at all. One problem I often experienced was Rockbox becoming completely unresponsive while the music kept playing. Nothing would get it to respond (no pause, no shutdown, no getting the screen to come back), only a Menu + Select reboot cured it. It was intermittent and hard to reproduce, but it hasn't happened in three days now. Not saying that's gone for good, but I'm hopeful.

It was more an exercise in, Will the latest UBI build work?  The answer to that question is Yes.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #2,717 of 3,645
Thank you. I have a Rockboxed iPod Video (like mucho) but also own the Classic 160GB version. Still have some investment in various iPod specific equipment, most notably car audio but watching development in latest Classic re Rockbox.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,718 of 3,645

Definitely not normal. As a test, I just booted mine. I got the Rockbox menu in 9 seconds, and the disk spinning icon disappeared after 18 seconds. FWIW, I do not use the database function, just the file browser method.

I don't recommend this, certainly not until you've got this problem sorted, but others may be interested:

I'm running the latest emCORE (emcore-installer-ipodclassic-r880.ubi) with this daily build (rockbox-ipod6g-20130910.zip ; translates to acf3af4-130909).  So far things are pretty stable :)

Okay... first, good to know I seem to have a malfunction (my iPod of course, not me :D). The first thing I tried was deleting the database, wasn't using it anyway. Did nothing. Then, against your recommendation, I took the newest emcore and loaded it onto my iPod. Now it takes less time to boot (1min 49sec exactly). What I find interesting, though, is that you said your Rockbox menu shows after 9 seconds, whereas my ipod only begins to show the boot screen of rockbox after exact 9 seconds. Hoping for some advice, if anyone got an idea :)

schub3rt

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,719 of 3,645
so i rockboxed my ipod about 2 months ago and around a month ago my ipod classic started to crash and make a buzzing noise sometimes and it has become more frequent and it has become worse. Now I have to wait for it to automaticaly shut down before I can use it again. Can someone explain to me about what it wrong and what I can do to fix it? Thanks for your help in advance

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2,720 of 3,645
I did rockbox around few months back with old version of it.. Since it was working i just never bothered to change it.. though i do get the annoying problem of getting it connected to a PC.. it just does not appear as a disk.. anyone has a idea on that?

Has anyone tried using a Bluetooth adapter with the rockbox ipod?

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,721 of 3,645
Hi,

I installed Rockbox on my iPod Classic 7g according to the instructions on the first page. 

I have a mac so used a windows computer to install and it all went fine. I reverted back to my Mac and the iPod mounted the first time, but I just can't get it to mount on the Mac again. If I try on the windows PC it mounts every time.

Does anyone have any ideas why it's being funny on the Mac?

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,722 of 3,645
afternoon people :)

am i correct in thinking, I should be able to rockbox this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPod-classic-160GB-Generation/dp/B002MRRROG/ref=sr_1_2?s=network-media&ie=UTF8&qid=1380108583&sr=1-2

cheers

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #2,723 of 3,645
afternoon people
smily_headphones1.gif

am i correct in thinking, I should be able to rockbox this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPod-classic-160GB-Generation/dp/B002MRRROG/ref=sr_1_2?s=network-media&ie=UTF8&qid=1380108583&sr=1-2

cheers

Yes. No guarantees it'll work flawlessly though.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #2,725 of 3,645
Ok thanks

Any idea what problems, if any, I may encounter?

I personally haven't encountered any problems except that once it froze and I had to hard reset the ipod. But I see some people posting about problems in this thread, so YMMV.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #2,727 of 3,645
ok, thank you

have you rockboxed the exact same model?

**EDIT** just seen your sig

Even if it was the exact same model, there is always some variance between the same models, because no manufacturing process is 100% perfect :)

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,728 of 3,645
I did rockbox around few months back with old version of it.. Since it was working i just never bothered to change it.. though i do get the annoying problem of getting it connected to a PC.. it just does not appear as a disk.. anyone has a idea on that?

I have a 160gb ipod that has issues getting connected to my PC. My PC is rather old (P4 running XP). Haven't had the opportunity to try it on a modern machine, but my music library is all on the XP PC. I used to be able to get it to connect in 2 or fewer tries, but recently it hasn't connected no matter what I do.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2,729 of 3,645

I have a 160gb ipod that has issues getting connected to my PC. My PC is rather old (P4 running XP). Haven't had the opportunity to try it on a modern machine, but my music library is all on the XP PC. I used to be able to get it to connect in 2 or fewer tries, but recently it hasn't connected no matter what I do.

I dunno if this'll work for you, but what might help is if you plug it in while the iPod is turned off and then turn on the iPod while it's still plugged in.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2,730 of 3,645
I've found that if the iPod is not recognized within a couple minutes of plugging it in (to a Win7 laptop), I use the Menu + Select reboot function, after which it's detected. That reboot while plugged in has never failed me. I also tell Windoze not to "sacn and fix" the iPod, which it usually asks to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back