Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,701 of 3,645
Quote:
Well, I am really not that good to go. So I copied the ipod classic ubi file to the virtual UMSboot drive and the instructions on my ipod said that in order to continue the installation I needed to press the menu button and the play button at same time. Well, since I have that problem with the play button I was unable to continue. I believe the only option that I have right now is to buy a new click wheel in order to replace the old one.

Hello, please join our support channel (#freemyipod-support at irc.freenode.net) so we can provide you with a custom build, that doesn't require pressing Menu+Play in order to start the installation.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2,702 of 3,645
Hi, I'm new to rockbox. Installed fine on last generation 160gb Ipod Classic and loaded 3000 songs. Rockbox restarted, built database correctly but no files show up in the files folder and when I press Resume playback it gives an "nothing to resume" warning.
Tried different versions of rockbox but no success, it simply doesn't play. Tried Aroldan's last build and it was even worse showing a "ROLO executing" warning in the screen, reset and the same above happened.
What am I doing wrong? It doesn't play at all...If you could help me, thanks in advance.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #2,703 of 3,645
Nevermind. Solved the problem by moving my music folder outside Rockbox folder, just don't ask me why its working now 
smile.gif
  Cheers

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,704 of 3,645
I can get to the boot menu but when i try to load rockbox, the screen says my ipod has failed and it is trying the fallback image. After that, there is a screen which says no rockbox directory. How do I uninstall it from here? thanks

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,705 of 3,645
  I can get to the boot menu but when i try to load rockbox, the screen says my ipod has failed and it is trying the fallback image. After that, there is a screen which says no rockbox directory. How do I uninstall it from here? thanks

Then you're almost done! After booting and showing those error messages, connect your iPod to your computer. Download a daily build from here: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g and drag the contents to the drive of your iPod. Then safely eject, restart your iPod and you're done!

In case you want to uninstall; instructions are in the first post.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,706 of 3,645
When will the error messages go away?

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #2,707 of 3,645
I'm seeming to have issues with my Rockboxed iPod again.  When I tried to get to the boot drive to install the bootstrap, instead of "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver" I keep on getting "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under Unspecified.  Does anyone know what's going on?  BTW, I'm currently running on a fresh reboot of Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate (a few weeks), and I still have iTunes installed, and I'm killing the right processes/services (Apple Mobile Device Service seems to not appear under Processes), to make sure you know.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2,711 of 3,645
  Don't think so.  Rockbox won't output a digital signal on an iPod, AFAIK.  The HiFi-M8 expects a digital signal, which for iDevices only comes out when they are running the original OS, and only for 6th gen and later iPod Classics if we are talking about this form factor specifically.  

Correct. Rockbox cannot send a digital signal with the iAP protocol. You must use the iPod OF.

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #2,713 of 3,645
Hey, I am new to Head-Fi and after getting excited finding out I could finally rockbox my iPod Classic (7th Gen 160 gigs) a few months ago, I can't seem to get rid of a very annoying, and surprisingly not mentioned by anyone here, at rockbox or at freemyipod, problem:

It takes screwing forever to boot. Jesus!
I haven't stopped the time yet, however it's in the 2-5 minutes range. I almost have to schedule my listening-times, whenever I leave the house I first make sure my iPod is running, then I shower and get dressed
biggrin.gif

My assumption is: Either it's totally normal for the third-party firmware to take so much time to load and everybody is okay with it, which I would find very disturbing :wink: 
OR: I did something wrong.

So first could anybody confirm it isn't normal for rockbox to take a lifetime to boot? What could possibly help me (dunno) narrowing down the cause:

Your rockbox-release and your emCore-release.
Mine are: rockbox: 5ef1e2d-130911 (newest release from yesterday) emCore: r859

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,

schub3rt

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #2,714 of 3,645
  Hey, I am new to Head-Fi and after getting excited finding out I could finally rockbox my iPod Classic (7th Gen 160 gigs) a few months ago, I can't seem to get rid of a very annoying, and surprisingly not mentioned by anyone here, at rockbox or at freemyipod, problem:

It takes screwing forever to boot. Jesus!
I haven't stopped the time yet, however it's in the 2-5 minutes range. I almost have to schedule my listening-times, whenever I leave the house I first make sure my iPod is running, then I shower and get dressed
biggrin.gif

My assumption is: Either it's totally normal for the third-party firmware to take so much time to load and anybody is okay with it, which I would find very disturbing :wink: 
OR: I did something wrong.

So first could anybody confirm it isn't normal for rockbox to take a lifetime to boot? What could possibly help me (dunno) narrowing down the cause:

Your rockbox-release and your emCore-release.
Mine are: rockbox: 5ef1e2d-130911 (newest release from yesterday) emCore: r859

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,

schub3rt

Definitely not normal. As a test, I just booted mine. I got the Rockbox menu in 9 seconds, and the disk spinning icon disappeared after 18 seconds. FWIW, I do not use the database function, just the file browser method.

I don't recommend this, certainly not until you've got this problem sorted, but others may be interested:

I'm running the latest emCORE (emcore-installer-ipodclassic-r880.ubi) with this daily build (rockbox-ipod6g-20130910.zip ; translates to acf3af4-130909).  So far things are pretty stable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back