Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2,686 of 3,645
Have you tried booting using the apple original firmware?  If you get a blank screen on that the screen may well be shot.  Does audio play?

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,687 of 3,645
Have you tried booting using the apple original firmware?  If you get a blank screen on that the screen may well be shot.  Does audio play?

Yes, I've tried that, didn't work:/ I can't even turn it on nor does audio play...

Is it time I disposed it? :frowning2:

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2,688 of 3,645
It's back up and working again! 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: It died again..

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2,691 of 3,645
Ok, so I got an iPod Classic 80 Gb and I really want to rockbox it in order to play my flac files. However there are a couple of questions I would like to be answered. Firstly, the play button of my iPod is not working at all. It really doesn't bother me that much because I can just unplug my headphones to pause the music but my question is the following, is the play button really necessary in order to rockbox my device? Is there a procedure that necessary requires the play button or can I do the whole thing without using it? 
Secondly, I found out a rcokbox theme I really would love to use: http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/6/d5/6d5aa0ca57b4005d9e67697c434c2213-orig
The problem is that i really can't find the name of this theme not even in the rockbox site. Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,692 of 3,645
Is the rockbox for 6G stable?
I mean I know it's harder to install and it's mostly a bigger hack than rockbox itself but is it remotely stable? Anyone used it for extended periods of time?
I got a 70$ deal for a 160GB 6th gen but there's no way I'm buying it without rockbox.

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2,693 of 3,645
Quote:
Is there a procedure that necessary requires the play button or can I do the whole thing without using it? 
Can someone please help me with this?

As far as I remember you can just follow the installation procedure. Only thing will be that you can't directly turn off your iPod (by holding the play button). But for installation and navigating through Rockbox and playing music you should be fine.

Quote:
Is the rockbox for 6G stable?

Rocksolid.
Use EmCore r859 and the newest daily build of Rockbox, you will not be dissappointed.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #2,694 of 3,645
Quote:

As far as I remember you can just follow the installation procedure. Only thing will be that you can't directly turn off your iPod (by holding the play button). But for installation and navigating through Rockbox and playing music you should be fine.

Thanks for answering. My main problem resides right here in this installation step: 
  1. Shut down Rockbox by holding the play button for several seconds

Can I just simply press menu and select in order to reboot the device instead of the play button? Is there any chance I could brick my device by not exactly following this step above?

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #2,695 of 3,645
No, you're good to go! A few steps above they instruct you to download the "rockbox-ipodclassic.zip" file from the emCORE Releases page, use a daily build instead, they actually are more stable and battery friendly. After copying the contents of that zip file to your iPod´s hard drive and safely removing/ejecting the device, it will tell you that a new Rockbox build was found, press 'Select' to reboot and the installation will be finished.

In the EmCore options menu you can select to automatically boot Rockbox when it starts, and in the Rockbox options menu you can select when the iPod should automatically shut itself down. There are plenty of other options to adjust it to your needs, have fun :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #2,696 of 3,645
Quote:
No, you're good to go! A few steps above they instruct you to download the "rockbox-ipodclassic.zip" file from the emCORE Releases page, use a daily build instead, they actually are more stable and battery friendly. After copying the contents of that zip file to your iPod´s hard drive and safely removing/ejecting the device, it will tell you that a new Rockbox build was found, press 'Select' to reboot and the installation will be finished.

In the EmCore options menu you can select to automatically boot Rockbox when it starts, and in the Rockbox options menu you can select when the iPod should automatically shut itself down. There are plenty of other options to adjust it to your needs, have fun :)

Thank you so much for the help.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #2,697 of 3,645
Quote:
Hey guys. I Rockboxed in Jan or Feb and haven't updated since. Currently running version "93130beM-130110". Where should I update. I'm pretty sure I got this build from the aroldan dropbox. I was just in there and last update was 6 months ago, not long after I Rockboxed. Did something happen, am I missing something?

Hey guys what's the latest version? I'm running aroldan's build listed above. Well see my post. Is he out of commission or what? Should I upgrade to another rockbox (i.e. not aroldan's custom)? Could I upgrade the same way, just replace the '.rockbox' folder in the root of the drive?

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #2,698 of 3,645
Quote:

Well, I am really not that good to go. So I copied the ipod classic ubi file to the virtual UMSboot drive and the instructions on my ipod said that in order to continue the installation I needed to press the menu button and the play button at same time. Well, since I have that problem with the play button I was unable to continue. I believe the only option that I have right now is to buy a new click wheel in order to replace the old one.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #2,699 of 3,645
Quote:
Hey guys what's the latest version? I'm running aroldan's build listed above. Well see my post. Is he out of commission or what? Should I upgrade to another rockbox (i.e. not aroldan's custom)? Could I upgrade the same way, just replace the '.rockbox' folder in the root of the drive?

Aroldan makes/made those builds in his spare time, maybe he's busy with other things or simply not interested anymore. You can try one of the newer daily builds, maybe you'll notice a difference from the patches since your current build. Yes, copy the .rockbox folder to your iPod, merge folders and replace all existing files. Then safely remove the USB device and press select to reboot.

Quote:
Well, I am really not that good to go. So I copied the ipod classic ubi file to the virtual UMSboot drive and the instructions on my ipod said that in order to continue the installation I needed to press the menu button and the play button at same time. Well, since I have that problem with the play button I was unable to continue. I believe the only option that I have right now is to buy a new click wheel in order to replace the old one.

Sorry, I was convinced the Select and Menu button needed to be pressed together at that step. You can still follow the steps to get the original firmware back (see 1st post), then at least you have a working iPod again..
About the clickwheel; there could be something wrong with it but it could also be the button on the motherboard itself. I have a couple of these clickwheels left, but if you live on the other side of the planet it doesn't make sense to send it by mail :wink:

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,700 of 3,645
Hey, everyone!
I had a well runing Rocbox on my iPod 120gb for a couple of months ago untill it started to boot up and respond slowly and get real laggy when playing. Sometimes it would not even play anything until i restarted it. So one day I decided to reinstall RB, but it didnt go as well as I thought it will. Windows explorer would crash as I tried to merge the .rocbox folders and etc. , so I've tried replacing the folder a lot of times with diffirent results from time to time. It would have messed up theme and be able to actually play music on the next day I would boot up the player and it just wouldnt do any playback at all ( it would either freeze or just skip the tracks until the end of the album).
This whole messy situation has been going on for a month so thats why I cant describe it with much details, so I will tell you what happened when I tried to replace the folder today. I downloaded the daily b97cdc8 version of RockBox, replaced it successfuly, safely removed the hardware, pressed the select button for reboot and then it sayed error reading file or something like that, but it could actually play music, so the I left it aside for a while. I turned it on, loaded the Emcore, started RB and then a message with red letters appeared "loading rockbox ipod failed  trying failback image/file", it eventually loaded with a messed up looking theme and it would not run properly- it would lag when it played music.
I repeated the whole process, when I merged the folders and disconnected it, it didnt ask me for the usual reboot, I had to wait it to fully load, when it did I tried to play music and it would just skip the songs.

As you have already figured it out, I am posting all of this information in search of any help that you guys can provide.
I would be grateful if anyone could give me some useful info on the situation and how I can fix it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Windows 7 would also give me that message stating that the hard drive might not work properly and asking if I wanted it fixed.

EDIT 2: After a few more tries of replacing and replacing the folder I had the same errors as before, but this time I'm able to play music from the iPod, but Im sure that when I restart it that would be impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back