Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 6, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,402 of 3,645
Quote:
Does remote on headphones work on classic 160gb gen 6/7 ?

Unfortunately not (yet), maybe one day..

Quote:
Anyone else having problems with OSX 10.8.3 recognizing ipod? Can only get it to work with win 7. Kind of a hassle when trying to transfer music. I'm using a macbook pro. Thanks

A lot of Mac users seem to have this problem, use the search function in this topic to find their experiences (I don't have a Mac/OSX). You could also try the backup build from the Emcore menu, or you could try the program called Wine? I have no idea if this makes a difference though.

May 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,404 of 3,645
Its been awhile since any updated posts regarding different versions of .rockbox everyone is using.  Would like to hear what you guys settled on and if you have reverted back to earlier versions and why. Especially interested in hearing from the members who started it all here for most of us all, aroldon, cooperpwc, putente, r100 and any other members who were here from the beginning.

As for myself, im using the development build 20130228 from the official RockBox daily build page. No problems. Have been debating updating to newer version but havent heard any recent feed back from anyone.

May 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,405 of 3,645
Can someone please help me?
I'm new to rockbox
I have ipod classic 6th gen 80gig
I have successfully installed the rockbox using the emcore method in freemyipod.com

Now, i like it but what annoys me is the screen
Before, in stock apple firmware, after a few seconds, it goes to screensaver mode(play symbol and time).
However at rockbox, it just dims the display but does not go to any screeemsaver.
I hate it because it eats up a lot of battery.

Can somebody enlighten me how to fix this or am I just missing a setting?

Thanks! :)

May 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #2,406 of 3,645
Quote:
Can I do this on ubuntu? 

http://freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPod

Quote:
Its been awhile since any updated posts regarding different versions of .rockbox everyone is using.  Would like to hear what you guys settled on and if you have reverted back to earlier versions and why. Especially interested in hearing from the members who started it all here for most of us all, aroldon, cooperpwc, putente, r100 and any other members who were here from the beginning.

As for myself, im using the development build 20130228 from the official RockBox daily build page. No problems. Have been debating updating to newer version but havent heard any recent feed back from anyone.

After using aroldan's builds for quite some time, I'm on the daily builds now as well. The experimental frequency scaling in 130217 is quite cool, but so far it also slows the UI down. The daily builds are really fast, I update it every two weeks or so, when I find interesting merged patches for example. I really like Rockbox, I think it's because I experienced the development and started to appreciate every single small improvement. If the remote control and HDD/RAM hibernate will ever be supported I'll probably want to marry my Classic
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Can someone please help me?
I'm new to rockbox
I have ipod classic 6th gen 80gig
I have successfully installed the rockbox using the emcore method in freemyipod.com

Now, i like it but what annoys me is the screen
Before, in stock apple firmware, after a few seconds, it goes to screensaver mode(play symbol and time).
However at rockbox, it just dims the display but does not go to any screeemsaver.
I hate it because it eats up a lot of battery.

Can somebody enlighten me how to fix this or am I just missing a setting?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

You're probably still on the backup build of emcore itself. Download a new daily build here, unzip it, copy the rockbox folder to your ipod, click yes to combine folders and replace all current files, reboot ipod and you should have all the new powersaving features (including lcd sleep, that's even better than the screensaver
wink.gif
)

May 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,407 of 3,645
How do I store music? Is there a certain music root folder?

May 10, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #2,409 of 3,645
Quote:

It's interesting timing for you to ask about this. I have been using daily builds, newer unofficial emCORE installs etc. Now my Rockboxed Classic does not go into proper charge mode. I otherwise (and I expect unrelated) have had music files becoming periodically corrupted that I have had to overwrite. Disc access has definitely slowed down.

The upshot is that I have decided that it is time to start from scratch. I just restored my iPod Classic in iTunes (my god but the OF is ugly) and I am installing Rockbox from scratch: 
- official version of emCORE
- Aroldan's rockbox-ipod6g-55847d0M-120802 build that has worked best for me.
- re-install all of my music files.

It's just time for a clean start and a nice orderly hard drive.

May 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #2,410 of 3,645
I cringe at the thought of having to redo everything again. I have been concerned recently with the issue of recharging as it seems my battery doesn't last as long as it used to but I don't know if this is due to me fidgeting around with the controls more than usual. You often refer to the proper charging mode.could you please explain what the proper charge mode is so I know what I should be looking for and what to expect. With every build that I have used the charge only goes to 98 percent I have never seen 100 percent. I have tried adjusting the battery capacity settings but it always comes out 98 percent as a full charge. thank you

May 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #2,411 of 3,645
All successfully re-installed and music is now loading. 

Quote:
I cringe at the thought of having to redo everything again. I have been concerned recently with the issue of recharging as it seems my battery doesn't last as long as it used to but I don't know if this is due to me fidgeting around with the controls more than usual. You often refer to the proper charging mode.could you please explain what the proper charge mode is so I know what I should be looking for and what to expect. With every build that I have used the charge only goes to 98 percent I have never seen 100 percent. I have tried adjusting the battery capacity settings but it always comes out 98 percent as a full charge. thank you

When Rockbox is working properly (as I understand to be proper), if you plug it into power with the battery below 90% it will enter "charging mode". In the Cabbie themes that is represented by a flashing lightning bolt within the battery icon. This is a high voltage uptake which is good for getting the battery properly juiced. Then when the battery is fully charged, Rockbox enters "trickle charge" mode. In the Cabbie themes, this is represented by a solid plug within the battery icon.  

When I started messing around with daily builds, updated emCORE etc., I Iost access to charging mode; it just trickle charges, it never actually reaches 100% and the battery life does not seem to be as good.

(Again, a big reason that I just started from scratch is that my Classic's hard drive was otherwise a mess.)

May 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #2,412 of 3,645
All successfully re-installed and music is now loading. 

When Rockbox is working properly (as I understand to be proper), if you plug it into power with the battery below 90% it will enter "charging mode". In the Cabbie themes that is represented by a flashing lightning bolt within the battery icon. This is a high voltage uptake which is good for getting the battery properly juiced. Then when the battery is fully charged, Rockbox enters "trickle charge" mode. In the Cabbie themes, this is represented by a solid plug within the battery icon.  

When I started messing around with daily builds, updated emCORE etc., I Iost access to charging mode; it just trickle charges, it never actually reaches 100% and the battery life does not seem to be as good.

(Again, a big reason that I just started from scratch is that my Classic's hard drive was otherwise a mess.)

Thanks for the explanation. Do you have an idea after what build or Emcore installation you loss the ability to properly charge your iPod?

May 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #2,413 of 3,645
Originally everything after Aroldan's rockbox-ipod6g-55847d0M-120802 was screwing up.

I do think however that I got a daily build working properly and then I went and started messing with changes to emCORE. I think that at a certain point my Classic just got confused.  :)

I may play with daily builds again but for now I am returning to the stable tried and true.

May 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #2,414 of 3,645
And what a difference it makes! Not only is charging working again but everything is snappy; a new album loads in seconds. A long evening's work but not so bad when listening to music and surfing the web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back