Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #2,371 of 3,645
Try it by time, with the ipod powered on, press and hold the menu and select button for 15 seconds, in that time it should power down attempt to restart (Show apple logo) and turn off again, when this happens (even if it doesn't make a sound in the pc) let go BOTH buttons at the same time, and attempt to launch the bootstrap. it's very important that you make shure that apple assistant or itunes assistant or any itunes or apple related process is terminated. (the time should be between 10 and 15 seconds when you see the apple logo disapear give it a moment and release both buttons)

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #2,372 of 3,645
no this didnt work....
interesting point, i tried the same with my ipod 6g 80GB and it worked right away on the 1st try without anyproblems.
but my 5.5g ipod videos both 30gb and 80gb wont go to this mode for some reason...

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #2,374 of 3,645
Quote:

5.5G?? No wonder it doesn't work, this method is for the 6G - 7G only. Use the Rockbox Utility!

now i feel dumb.... :D sorry for the trouble guys 
deadhorse.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,377 of 3,645
problem got solved, and another one rose up :D so now rockbox works! great piece of art id say. this program takes lame apple itunes by the mile...

one thing i couldnt understand, even after looking through the guide  for every bit of information.

how i like to organize my music is by geners, Rock/Metal/Goth etc.... under these generes i have bands and under these bands i have albums etc..

this was all possible with itunes, a HUGE headache but possible, how can i  create same genere distribution in rockbox using only drag and drop?

allow me to be more specific.

i keep all my music library on an external hard drive,there it is sorted by generes.
now, i synced all of it to itunes and  my ipod which previously used to run on stock firmware and used it by generes again.
now once i installed rockbox, its database did his"thing" and now the music in rockbox is sorted exactly like it was on itunes.
thing is i wanna stop using itunes. 
does it mean that albums i download and they have incorrect genere description o would have to change their gener manually like i used to do with itunes? which is irretating.
or i could just download a bunch of music and sort it manually like i wish... the same way it is sorted on my external hard drive, without going into detail to the file's description?

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,378 of 3,645
I could be wrong, but if you want the ability to play only a certain genre - by using the Genre tag - then you have to use the Rockbox database.  I don't use the database, but that's how it should work.  Obviously, the database gives you lots of ways to sort.

Without using the database, you must arrange everything manually, like you would using Windows Explorer, e.g.  This way you would create a folder called "Metal" and under that create folders for each band.  If you divide "metal" into sub-categories in your personal naming/referencing scheme, you'd put those folders under "Metal" and then band folders under the sub-category folders.  Just think of it like the Windows folder tree, cuz that's pretty much what it is.

As far as improperly tagged files go, you can re-tag with mp3tag (AWESOME app; simple to use, but very powerful) or some other app.  Don't know how else one would fix improperly tagged files, though I suppose there are automated ways that rely on someone else's idea of "genre" e.g.  And of course you're trusting that their tag matches your expectations.

Personally, I do all things manually, and because I don't use the database, the Genre tag is meaningless for me, so I habitually blank it out in mp3tag.

Hope that helps in some way.  Good luck!

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #2,380 of 3,645
It's far easier and faster to change the genre with mp3tag than to try to drag and drop. I use the database only. Much more flexibility in terms of sorting.

Do you already have your music collection sorted into genre folders? If so, you can use mp3tag and point it to the "metal" folder and change every file's genre to "metal" in a few clicks. Update your database and then browse by genre.

Of course, it helps to have your tags 100% complete when using the database. It's worth the effort.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,381 of 3,645
Quote:
It's far easier and faster to change the genre with mp3tag than to try to drag and drop. I use the database only. Much more flexibility in terms of sorting.

Do you already have your music collection sorted into genre folders? If so, you can use mp3tag and point it to the "metal" folder and change every file's genre to "metal" in a few clicks. Update your database and then browse by genre.

Of course, it helps to have your tags 100% complete when using the database. It's worth the effort.

sweet, it really a handy little tool!
last question and im done. so do you normally keep a backup folder for everything on your pc? and if not.. how exactly do you suggest to upload music to rockbox, do i need to do it into a specific folder? or wherever i want.?
Thanks.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,382 of 3,645
Do you mean keep a backup of your music on your pc? Definitely. You never want to have your music stored in only one place.

When you place your music onto the ipod, just create a folder on the root directory of the ipod (not in the .rockbox folder). I do this in case i need to delete the .rockbox directory. Then copy your files over to that folder.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,383 of 3,645
but then incase i would like to be able to switch between rockbox and itunes whenever i feel like, the only way to do it correctly is to first sync the albums using itunes and then let rockbox do its thing right?

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #2,384 of 3,645
If you mean the stock firmware, then yes that is possible. Rockbox can read songs that were placed onto the ipod by itunes. However, the ipod classic doesn't dual boot. You would need an ipod video 5.5g or earlier for dual boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back