Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,356 of 3,645
Hi, i've been reading this forum for a long thime, and just recently entered it for this topic, i've recently bought a cheap ipod classic (6g), here in Mexico, good portable players are hard to come by, (mostly sony and Ipods , and both are lacking flac capabilities), to the point, so i rockboxed my ipod classic no problems, added music and listened for a while, Considerable improvement, BUT...... it's a constant headache to connect it to the pc, sometimes it freezes up, sometimes it seems like it will work, the usb image apears on the screen but the pc never shows the ipod, i've tried the latest "stable" rockbox, the latest daily build, aroldan's last and second to last firms, and still the same problem, when i install no problems, the first time i put some music still no problems, but lets say, the next day i try to load some more music, and the problems start, is there something to do?, (every time i'm going to connect the rockboxed ipod, i close itunes, ituneshelper, and any other apple process. it sounds amazing and i really dont want to lose on sound for practical issues.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #2,357 of 3,645
Quote:

Yes, you can. The first time I turned mine on was to Rockbox it. Read the first post of this thread carefully, as all the info you need is there...

Quote:
Yes. As long as you follow the guide on the first page and do not deviate you shouldnt have any trouble. 

Putente,  we seem to have been on the same rockbox brainwave at the same time...
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,358 of 3,645
Quote:

Yes, you can. The first time I turned mine on was to Rockbox it. Read the first post of this thread carefully, as all the info you need is there...

It is more complicated than with 5.5G though. But if you prefer Cirrus then it`s up to you :)
Here is what I found from Macintosh site:  "If you like detail and clarity, then Cirrus Logic is better. But if you like 3D imaging and comfortability, than Wolfson is better. For me, my self, I prefer Wolfson than Cirrus Logic because 3D imaging is just awesome."

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #2,359 of 3,645
Apr 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #2,360 of 3,645
HELP

i was listenning to the very old song that i love.....and i realize somthing is wrong with rockbox....my left and right channel swap eachother place

i double check a few time with different song.......same problem......anyone experience the same problem????

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,361 of 3,645
I think you can swap channels in Rockbox.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #2,364 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi, i've been reading this forum for a long thime, and just recently entered it for this topic, i've recently bought a cheap ipod classic (6g), here in Mexico, good portable players are hard to come by, (mostly sony and Ipods , and both are lacking flac capabilities), to the point, so i rockboxed my ipod classic no problems, added music and listened for a while, Considerable improvement, BUT...... it's a constant headache to connect it to the pc, sometimes it freezes up, sometimes it seems like it will work, the usb image apears on the screen but the pc never shows the ipod, i've tried the latest "stable" rockbox, the latest daily build, aroldan's last and second to last firms, and still the same problem, when i install no problems, the first time i put some music still no problems, but lets say, the next day i try to load some more music, and the problems start, is there something to do?, (every time i'm going to connect the rockboxed ipod, i close itunes, ituneshelper, and any other apple process. it sounds amazing and i really dont want to lose on sound for practical issues.

I originally had issues with the used/re-furbed iPod that I bought with intermittent connectivity to the PC.  Due to some other issues, I found out the hard drive was crapping out.  Once I replaced the hard drive, I haven't had any issues since as long as I re-start the iPod before connecting (and wait for the hard drive to fully cycle before connecting).  My music software (Musicbee) has to also be turned off before I connect to the PC.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #2,365 of 3,645
Any way to test for HDD Problems??, haven't had no issues with the ipod when using "ipod OS", no problems connecting or transfering music, i do not use a music software (well itunes but for my other ipod) so i have no music software running when i connect the ipod, i'll try to re-start the ipod before connecting (do you mean, shut down or reset??).

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,366 of 3,645
Quote:
Any way to test for HDD Problems??, haven't had no issues with the ipod when using "ipod OS", no problems connecting or transfering music, i do not use a music software (well itunes but for my other ipod) so i have no music software running when i connect the ipod, i'll try to re-start the ipod before connecting (do you mean, shut down or reset??).

The ipod has to be on before connecting to your pc. In addition, wait an additional few seconds for the ipods HDD to stop spinning( if your unsure, hold the ipod to your ear and you will either hear it spinning or not spinning).

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,367 of 3,645
Jajaja, yes, i know it has to be on, but, i see two ways of turning it on, when you're hearing music and keep pressed play the player says "shuting down" (or something like that), so when you press a key, it turns on, the otther way would be if turned on, pressing menu and select at the same time making it reboot, as you said "re-start" it was not clear which option are you refering to.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2,368 of 3,645
Hey guys.
im encountering a small problem, hope some1 could help me with.

on the 1st steps after killing itunes helper(i even tried on a different pc when theres no itunes installed) and following this guild:

"Press and hold the menu and select buttons for between 10 and 15 seconds - click here for a how-to video. The iPod will show an apple logo after about 5 seconds, keep holding the buttons until it seems to turn off completely The display of your iPod should now stay black, and a new USB device called "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver" should connect to your PC."

so what happens is, i hold it till it resets... then i keep holding it seems like the screen turns off, and it remains off but only untill i release the menu+select again, when i release them the ipod boots again...

any help?

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2,369 of 3,645
asuming that the ipod is connected to the pc it'd be as follows:

1.- having the ipod powered on, press and hold select and menu.
2.- the ipod will reset, the computer will sound like when you disconnect a usb or hard drive.
3.- still holding the keys, the ipod will show the apple logo for a short period of time.
4.- still holding the keys, the screen will turn black, and you will hear in the pc the sound that a usb or HD is connected, even when you see the ipod screen off.
5.- when this has happened you can let go the buttons. 

The ipod should be in DFU mode, remember all apple processes should be terminated before doing this, when these steps are completed, the "bootstrap" can be executed.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,370 of 3,645
Quote:
asuming that the ipod is connected to the pc it'd be as follows:

1.- having the ipod powered on, press and hold select and menu.
2.- the ipod will reset, the computer will sound like when you disconnect a usb or hard drive.
3.- still holding the keys, the ipod will show the apple logo for a short period of time.
4.- still holding the keys, the screen will turn black, and you will hear in the pc the sound that a usb or HD is connected, even when you see the ipod screen off.
5.- when this has happened you can let go the buttons. 

The ipod should be in DFU mode, remember all apple processes should be terminated before doing this, when these steps are completed, the "bootstrap" can be executed.

Thanks for you reply.
Now, this is what happens according to your steps:

1. OK
2. OK
3.im still holding the keys and see the apple logo for short period, then it goes off i keep on holding, and the apple logog appears again..(this apple logo while holding appears twice, during which i do not hear the sound of a connected usb like in step 4) so while i keep holding the screen is black.. and once i leave the buttons, i see the apple logog again,and it boots.

idk what else to do.. i tried that with 2 different ipods on 2 computers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back