Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2,326 of 3,645
No, this thread is for the 6th and 7th gen iPod models, named "Classic", that don't support the RB auto-installer. The one you got is the previous model, that supports it...

Hi Putente.

Yes, I am aware of that, :) just before exiting I was wanting to ask Achmed the above question.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,327 of 3,645
Alright, I just Rockboxed an iPod Classic 160GB and holy crap, I'm lost.
I'm perusing the online manual (downloaded the PDF) but can anyone toss me some quick suggestions to get it set up for a set of AKG Q701s listening to (mainly) post-rock, rock and folk?

What are the 'must have' settings?  Anything I must be sure not to miss?

Thanks a ton :)  This thread is AWESOME!

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,328 of 3,645
Quote:
Going off the serial number, it says late 2006 iPod video. This is the model that has been rather popular here for sometime now yes?

Yes, that is probably the most popular....Wolfson DAC, etc. Mine is Rockboxed but I'm not using any EQ settings, just the Meier simple crossfeed. The line-out produces quite a nice sound, I think. Try it with your beloved BH.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #2,330 of 3,645
Quote:
i got it just a month or less new 160 GB also...does that Far ipod can sound good with that soft ..!!! i mean shouldn't changes in SQ be related to hardware rather than soft ?? and finally please tell me have u had any problems or bugs in installing and using ?

Yeah, i don't really know for sure (regarding sound quality).  I didn't listen to the non-modded version of this ipod because I immediately rockboxed it, so I can't compare.  But compared to other ipod (ipod touch) I've tried, I want to say it sounds better.  But maybe that's because I was able to tweak the EQ more here.  Some of the others here would be better able to answer that.

I haven't experienced any bugs so far.  Everything worked pretty smoothly and painlessly.

The only complaints I may have (but not bugs) is that if you load the thing up with songs, it takes a while for the database to update (mechanical hard drive).  The only other comment I have is with the Terminal theme.  The Terminal theme has (by far, to me) the BEST features of any theme.  It is super easy to read, has really nifty options as far as playlist view, hold switch album cover view, etc. (it's a freaking awesome theme, you gotta try it)...but whenever I turn on the ipod and the music resumes playing, there's always a loooooong lag until the buttons are responsive.  After a minute or two, things start working fine.  I don't know what the issue is, I'm guessing something to do with the mechanical drive.

Those are the issues.  Very insignificant relative to the benefits of the tremendous advantages this thing offers.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2,331 of 3,645
Great guide!
Thank you!!

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #2,332 of 3,645
i faced a very basic problem which was.........my computer didnt recognize the dfu mode on ipod(my ipod is in dfu mod,blackscreen)

does anyone face da same problem or have any solution,advice.......plz help

thankx all

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,333 of 3,645
Quote:
i faced a very basic problem which was.........my computer didnt recognize the dfu mode on ipod(my ipod is in dfu mod,blackscreen)

does anyone face da same problem or have any solution,advice.......plz help

thankx all

Make sure that the processes belonging to iTunes are killed if you have that installed. And temporarily disable your antivirus as it may prevent the bootstrap from being fully executed. Make sure that you’re using a decent cable and that you’re connecting it to one of the USB 2.0 ports directly on the motherboard. Connecting it via USB hubs or splitters usually does not work.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,334 of 3,645
Quote:

Make sure that the processes belonging to iTunes are killed if you have that installed. And temporarily disable your antivirus as it may prevent the bootstrap from being fully executed. Make sure that you’re using a decent cable and that you’re connecting it to one of the USB 2.0 ports directly on the motherboard. Connecting it via USB hubs or splitters usually does not work.

i double-checked on killing all the i-something related,didnt see the "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe" as the instructor adviced,so what i did was to kill the helper.exe from apple.The problem was after putting the ipod into dfu mode my computer just doesnt recogize it ,seen no drive ,nothing in related to the ipod =(

Should i remove the itune for better change =(

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #2,335 of 3,645
Quote:
i double-checked on killing all the i-something related,didnt see the "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe" as the instructor adviced,so what i did was to kill the helper.exe from apple.The problem was after putting the ipod into dfu mode my computer just doesnt recogize it ,seen no drive ,nothing in related to the ipod =(

Removing iTunes shouldn't be necessary. Rechecking and killing the AppleMobileDevice process after starting the bootstrap did the trick for me. Be sure to follow all the steps from the FAQ on the first page.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,336 of 3,645
Quote:

I am exactly here. Someone please help.
Thank you.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,337 of 3,645
I just installed (following closely the instructions) rockbox on my iPod classic 7g.
Everything worked out well! So awesome!! I also installed fonts and the Pen&Paper theme...
When selecting the "Pen&Paper_plus_4.1" theme it loads everything of the interface (buttons, icons etc.) right - except the background! It stays the same standard backdrop "cabbievs2".

I thought that's maybe because of the ampersand in the file name. I deleted the ampersand in the backdrops-folder filename to "PenPaper_plus_hd" (instead of "Pen&Paper_plus_hd". I also opened the .wps file "Pen&Paper_plus.wps" itself and changed the link accordingly.

When I disconnected the iPod safely, it only showed the standard RockBox Wallpaper (cabbiev2) without any interface: Freeze! ;(
I cannot even shut off the iPod by holdpressing the play-button.... The big mistake, I suppose, was to change the .wps file while it was the active theme....

I've realized right now, that I only changed the link in the .wps file but forgot to do the same in the .sbs file.....

Anyways, hope you guys know something about that issue....
Thank you so much for helping me out....

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #2,338 of 3,645
j255:

To reset your Classic, hold the 'menu' and select button at the same time until it restarts.
Then choose the fallback image from the emCORE menu. Connect with your computer and delete the entire .rockbox-folder, and copy a new build to it+fontpack etc.

Usually Rockbox needs a restart after selecting a different theme. My experience is that choosing the failsafe theme as a in-between step for changing themes works better.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,339 of 3,645
@haquocdung,
besides closing the mentioned processes, i also closed a process called something like "iPodService"....

@r100,
when the iPod shut off because of low battery this morning, i restarted it by recharging and it worked out!!
nice to know that the "hold the 'menu' and select button" works on EmCORE+RockBox also, i thought this was a standard-iPod-firmware-only method....
thanks, dude.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2,340 of 3,645
Docking Station: I got a Classic 6G and a 7G. I bought Logitech S715I iPod speakers, but I can't get sound out of it. Line out and accessory power are enabled, I hold down the menu button while docking, I can play a track, everything seems to be working on the ipod, but still I get no sound out of the speakers. Can someone help me out, or do you know which docking station works with Classic 6G and 7G (the docking stations on the iPod Accessories Page are outdated). Thanks in advance !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back