Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #2,017 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:
Id like to try this with my new 7gen, but Im afraid to brick it.

I don't know about bricking it. Putting rockbox on it was the easiest thing ever. I bought one brand new and did it right after I took it out of the box.

Right .....For some of us it is.....but for some it just aint......I tried several times but keep stuffing it up. So I just return to normal ipod.
There's just too many things for my abused brain to compute. There's versions, latest builds, etc etc....aahhh just does my head in....

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2,018 of 3,645
Quote:
how do you do  that? go to my computer?  its very hard to find the song cuz windows doesnt sort by albums and artists

Try using MusicBee (free download).  That will read the music on a Rockboxed Ipod and is a bit similar to Itunes.  I have a similar problem since I have lots of Music ripped using Itunes and the folders in the Itunes library are complete chaos.  This particularly applies to compilation albums where the music can be spread over many folders under individual artists names.  I'm gradually re-tagging my files using Mp3tag.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #2,019 of 3,645
Quote:

Right .....For some of us it is.....but for some it just aint......I tried several times but keep stuffing it up. So I just return to normal ipod.
There's just too many things for my abused brain to compute. There's versions, latest builds, etc etc....aahhh just does my head in....

I'm sorry to hear it's not working out for yah. :frowning2:  I've read some posts about you getting lockups on your ipod, right? Feels kind of odd to me that some people keep having issues with Rockbox on the classic, whilst others don't seem to have any problems. Makes you think Apple might have undergone some hardware revisions on some classics or something. Or perhaps it's just bad luck. :frowning2:

Regarding the cover art; i actually gave up on musicbee regarding the cover art.. And stumbled upon Automatic Cover Tool. Here:
http://act-mp3.sourceforge.net/
And.. it does just what it says, just extract, nio installation what so ever. Nice.. :) Target is music folder on the ipod.. Save folder image as: "cover" and set extention to JPG. Max image size 300x300. Works like a charm and just press start button. This in combination with mp3tag, i'm a happy camper now.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,020 of 3,645
I absolutely adore this open source jukebox on my iPod Classic. I miss being able to use docks correctly, but trading that for FLAC and an actual EQ is totally worth it.
I had a problem using my iHome iP90 for a while, where it would go into USB mode as soon as you plug it in, so I came back to this thread and I saw on the front page that it said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it work with my iPod dock or car stereo?
It will work with your dock/car stereo if it is just a simple line out cable. If your dock/car stereo has any kind of external iPod control or USB DAC function, it almost certainly will not work.

From first glance, it seems like you're SOL and there's nothing you can do about it. The dock won't work, don't even try.
However, I also read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can I listen to music while charging my Rockboxed iPod Classic?
Yes, press and hold “MENU” when connecting the cable. This is both possible with a charger and with charging from a USB port.  When connected, press “Select” to exit the Quickscreen you just entered.

That made me want to try doing that and see what would happen and it worked! Charges in the dock, plays out of the bottom. The only thing that doesn't work is the external buttons for changing the song or pausing it. I also have to make sure before I plug it in the dock that the dock is in iPod mode, otherwise no music comes out and if you try to switch to it after, it freezes up the dock until you take out the iPod. (On the iHome, to switch to iPod mode without an iPod plugged in, you just push the play button.)

So, if you have a dock that you used until you switched to Rockbox, I would suggest at least trying this. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work.

Oh and if you're using a theme that has a graphic when you've plugged something in, I would suggest waiting for it to show that it's plugged in. I've stood in front of a dock, just trying to do everything right for it to work, for at least ten minutes, messing up over and over.

Happy Sounds, Everyone!

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2,021 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear it's not working out for yah. :frowning2:  I've read some posts about you getting lockups on your ipod, right? Feels kind of odd to me that some people keep having issues with Rockbox on the classic, whilst others don't seem to have any problems. Makes you think Apple might have undergone some hardware revisions on some classics or something. Or perhaps it's just bad luck. :frowning2:

Regarding the cover art; i actually gave up on musicbee regarding the cover art.. And stumbled upon Automatic Cover Tool. Here:
http://act-mp3.sourceforge.net/
And.. it does just what it says, just extract, nio installation what so ever. Nice.. :) Target is music folder on the ipod.. Save folder image as: "cover" and set extention to JPG. Max image size 300x300. Works like a charm and just press start button. This in combination with mp3tag, i'm a happy camper now.

Thanks for your concern Xxxneoxxx, naaa, dont think its any Apple revision, rather Id say its mainly on my part. Failure to grasp it.
I had it working once by fluke, but it jammed up after a couple of days. never been able to do it again.
Im sure if someone who knew what he was doing would have both my ipods working Tip Top on Rockbox......
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,024 of 3,645
Quote:
New build at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_. Castor Muñoz made some really cool changes, including the support of all the frequencies of the DAC chip (up to 48Khz).

Were you still interested in trying out 48k playback?  

Quote:
Quick questions: Say I'm on a build from 12-20-12 on this page http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g how do I flash the latest update?

Download and unzip to the player.  It'll overwrite the old binary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back