Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,981 of 3,645
Hi all

thanks for all the wonderful info. May I know how to get rockbox to display unicode characters 'properly'?

My library collection consists of both English and Japanese... Rockbox is display Japanese characters as squares.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,982 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi all

thanks for all the wonderful info. May I know how to get rockbox to display unicode characters 'properly'?

My library collection consists of both English and Japanese... Rockbox is display Japanese characters as squares.

i was able to find the answer to that question by searching for "Unicode" in this thread.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Before I do this, had problems with this before so sold iPod picked up Clip+/Zip. Sold them off and now back to iPod. Is there any/much difference between ALAC and FLAC? Trust it can be used with the E6 and my future upgrade E17 through a LOD?

Mark~

I'd like to know that last part too. Although i'm wondering, being an e6 and e17 owner myself, if those amps are going to do anything for the sound quality of the ipod, since i still need to get an ipod LOD cable.

Reason i'm asking; I do have a sandisk sansa lod cable, and noticed that on the Sansa Fuze, the LOD cable doesn't do much for the sound quality over the headphone out. Is this something that actually makes a difference for the classic, rockboxed or not? Especially if you take this comment into consideration:

Quote:

No, we just set the volume to 0dB for the line out.  Its actually fully adjustable though, so you could pretty easily hack up the source to change the line out level if you want by just calling audiohw_set_lineout_vol from inside the audiohw_set_master_vol function.

And while I don't mean to pick on you guys since this seems like a common misconception, but line out doesn't 'bypass' anything, and you certainly are 'double amping' if you hook up another amp to the line out. On modern electronics, a line out is basically a second amp that has its volume adjusted independently of the headphone amp for use with powered speakers. Its to prevent you from blowing out accessories while allowing the DAC vendor to save money by not including the whole cost of a second headphone amp. Usually its just a cheaper amp that doesn't need as much current capacity since its discharged into a higher impedance load then the main amp. Unless something is weird with the design, the output into a high impedance load should be identical. Given how well the Classic's headphone amp drives a high impedance load, there is almost certainly no improvement from using the line out.

Hmm, guess the head-fi forum doesn't play nice with
tags.
blink.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,983 of 3,645
Sooo.. I took the plunge today myself, and rockboxed my recently aquired Classic 6th gen. Bought a pre-owned one last week from a woman claiming she was only using it during holidays over the last 3 years.. Checked run time using ipod diagnostics, and it says 6 hours total.
cool.gif
  Dunno if this means 6 hours total disk use, or six hours Ipod general use but whatever, i'm psyched!

Since all my music is in FLAC format including my own rips, going Rockboxed is a no brainer, especially with the option of going back to OF. Used the newest emcore release, r859. Also used Aroldan latest Rockbox build (the one from the dropbox folder "with patches") and it seems to work just fine. I did the flash/initial copy to the emcore mount using an official apple cable (one that came with my Ipad) connected to an USB 2 hub. Figured it wouldn't be a problem, since it is a powered USB hub that has never given me problems before. Went fine.

Biggest suprise for me is the transfer speed of music, i reach a solid 13,4MB/sec according to Windows when copying music to the Ipod, using the same USB hub.. Nice! :) 

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #1,985 of 3,645
Quote:

ah, i see.  thanks for the clarification.

if you use the headphone/analog out, doesn't it route the signal through the ipod's internal DAC first?  unless, of course, you do the ipodmod with capacitors.  

DAC == Digital to Analog Converter, so if you're using analog out you're going through a DAC.  Theres not much point in changing the caps on the 6G, the mods for doing that were all on the 5G which had poorly designed output caps.  

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #1,986 of 3,645
Quote:

DAC == Digital to Analog Converter, so if you're using analog out you're going through a DAC.  Theres not much point in changing the caps on the 6G, the mods for doing that were all on the 5G which had poorly designed output caps.  

As I understand, the 6G/7G is a 'push-pull design'. There are no capacitors in the signal path between the DAC and the 30-pin line out.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,987 of 3,645
Quote:

ah, silly me.  i was under the impression that the imod bypassed the DAC, but that's obviously not the case.  

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,989 of 3,645
Quote:
Holdswitch 'on' while booting resets theme settings and some other stuff (temporarily). This also applies to Rockbox's own builds for the Classic. Bug or feature?

Feature, its been there since the original archos players.  The idea is that if you somehow come up with settings that prevent your player from booting far enough to use USB you can unbrick it.  Its fairly useless on players like the classic though that have USB in the bootloader.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,990 of 3,645
Quote:
Also people having issues with displaying artwork: you need to have a 300x300px (or smaller) cover.jpg file in the same folder as the album to guarantee that it will display. Musicbee allows you to automatically generate a cover.jpg file from track metadata at the size of your choice when music is copied from the library to a device. I just found this feature and it is seriously useful for making sure all album art is copied properly and automatically.

Here's a pic of the setting in case anyone want to try it. It's at the bottom under artwork storage. You can also define folder structures for devices. 

So, i took over these settings. Connected the Rockboxed ipod and changed the drive to the drive mounted. I am able to play music using Musicbee and see artwork there, but for the love of god am unable to find how i can get Musicbee to store artwork files @ 300 pixels in the folders of the Ipod. Is this even possible, or do you do this manually per folder or use this program to re-tag all your music and generate the cover art simultaniously? :p

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,991 of 3,645
Hey guys anyone else have the problem of the music suddenly stop and you hear this teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise? The whole ipod and music freezes and you hear this alarm. It's really distuurbing especially i have the volume up. I think im developing a phobia because of those events. It makes me wanna go back to the ipod's native OS. HELP

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,992 of 3,645
BTW what do you use to add music to the ipod? Do you have to keep manually adding files to the my computer USB device? Its really sad because I use MediaMonkey as a FLAC library and I update daily (delete, add tracks) So its hard to always delete the ipod and add back the new library.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,993 of 3,645
yea i hear the BUZZING noise suddenly when im listening to music, its ******* disturbing when i have the volume up, i have to yank my earphones off quickly cuz its so annoying.

I agree on the usless aps and games, I wish they would make a simpler FW with basic stuff, it would make the ipod faster and require less battery

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,995 of 3,645
Quote:
Hey guys anyone else have the problem of the music suddenly stop and you hear this teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise? The whole ipod and music freezes and you hear this alarm. It's really distuurbing especially i have the volume up. I think im developing a phobia because of those events. It makes me wanna go back to the ipod's native OS. HELP

Quote:
yea i hear the BUZZING noise suddenly when im listening to music, its ******* disturbing when i have the volume up, i have to yank my earphones off quickly cuz its so annoying.

I agree on the usless aps and games, I wish they would make a simpler FW with basic stuff, it would make the ipod faster and require less battery

You do know there's a button to edit your post if you want to add something, right? :wink:

Anyway, try one of the newer builds: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g
Download and open the zip file, drag the folder to the root of your classic and choose 'yes to all' to overwrite old files. Safely eject the device and it will ask to reboot.
They should work perfectly stable, if they don't then maybe EmCORE is the cause.

Edit: you can manually delete the apps and games in the rockbox folder, but this has no influence on speed or batterylife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back