Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #1,967 of 3,645
Quote:

The internal DAC will not work with Rockbox. None of the iAP devices (CLAS, Fostex, Wadia etc.) do. 

i'm a little confused.  LOD cables work with Rockbox and i've read about users hooking up portable amps, like the leckerton UHA-6S. 

but how come Rockbox won't work with the iAP devices mentioned?  my 2nd Gen Classic was made in 2008 and has USB audio output through the LOD.  would installing Rockbox eliminate this function?

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,968 of 3,645
iAP communication requires accessing an authentication chip in the iPod. The iPod then enters USB communication with the iAP device while still being able to function as an audio player. Rockbox cannot enter that dual mode. As soon as you plug a Rockboxed iPod into an iAP device like the CLAS, the iPod goes into USB communication mode and the player no longer functions.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,969 of 3,645
Quote:
I'm one of those guys, I didn't really see a difference

Well, I never used my iPod without RB so I can't say if the sound is different from stock to RB. I've been through some of alroldan's builds since I got my iPod, always updating to the lastest build as soon as it was released and I never heard any sonic differences between them...

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,972 of 3,645
newbie here....i read the entire 132 pages. i do not have an MP3 player yet.  should i get the old ipod classic gen 5.5 or the new classic 7th....or something else ? basically whats the best way to go for someone just starting out ?

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,973 of 3,645
Quote:
newbie here....i read the entire 132 pages. i do not have an MP3 player yet.  should i get the old ipod classic gen 5.5 or the new classic 7th....or something else ? basically whats the best way to go for someone just starting out ?

you can go ahead and grab a brand new 7th gen ipod classic and throw rockbox on it

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,974 of 3,645
Quote:

Rockbox is easier to put on a 5.5G....but there's something to be said for having a new player, too. I love my 5.5 though....

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,976 of 3,645
Quote:

Wow that's a accomplishment reading the entire 132 pages !

If you do not have an dap, you should try the amazing 5.5g with a decent pair of iem's or headphone (synergy is far more important than any single component in my opinion). Make sure rockbox it and play your music with 320kbps or better yet the FLAC digital feed. You can get a used 5.5g in decent condition from sellers off Craiglist or eBay. I have been scratching my head why the hell the decade old 5.5g still sounds better than some of the new and much more expensive daps. Maybe there is something wrong with my ears. Sound aside, the ipod video's are probably the sexiest daps ( forget about the ugly 7g bitch) with the best interface on earth. Even worse, you have so many options to upgrade the 5.5g. Warn you the 5.5g's can be addictive. LOL.

Dude don't let the huge info at HF confuse you. There are lots of hype around and eventually just trust your ears . Remember at end of the day, it's the music that sounds better than the gear. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,977 of 3,645
Quote:
i'm a little confused.  LOD cables work with Rockbox and i've read about users hooking up portable amps, like the leckerton UHA-6S. 

but how come Rockbox won't work with the iAP devices mentioned?  my 2nd Gen Classic was made in 2008 and has USB audio output through the LOD.  would installing Rockbox eliminate this function?

You can use the analog out, but digital audio out on all Apple accessories is encrypted and cannot be used without knowing Apple's private encryption keys. As far as I know no one has ever discovered one.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,978 of 3,645
Quote:

The 5G port is more stable (basically everything works), but 5G players these days are quite old. If you find one it will likely need to have its battery replaced sooner or later.  I'd probably go with a newer 6G if you just want audio playback.  The 6G is also nice in that it doesn't have the bass roll off problem the 5G has with low impedance headphones.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,979 of 3,645
Quote:
iAP communication requires accessing an authentication chip in the iPod. The iPod then enters USB communication with the iAP device while still being able to function as an audio player. Rockbox cannot enter that dual mode. As soon as you plug a Rockboxed iPod into an iAP device like the CLAS, the iPod goes into USB communication mode and the player no longer functions.

ah, i see.  thanks for the clarification.
Quote:

You can use the analog out, but digital audio out on all Apple accessories is encrypted and cannot be used without knowing Apple's private encryption keys. As far as I know no one has ever discovered one.  

if you use the headphone/analog out, doesn't it route the signal through the ipod's internal DAC first?  unless, of course, you do the ipodmod with capacitors.  

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,980 of 3,645
Before I do this, had problems with this before so sold iPod picked up Clip+/Zip. Sold them off and now back to iPod. Is there any/much difference between ALAC and FLAC? Trust it can be used with the E6 and my future upgrade E17 through a LOD?

Mark~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back