Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Nov 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,879 of 3,645
Quote:

Not sure if it's overwritten, but it's not accessible with (current versions of) EmCORE as far as I know.

yikes!
tongue_smile.gif
i was eager to check on my HD SmartData. thanks for the reply!

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,880 of 3,645
I am thinkg of rockboxing my iPod classic but before I do I was wondering about the following:

- I have an iPod Classic with 120GB of storage but my HD died so I replaced it with a 80GB one. Does that matter when I rockbox? Since I don't have the stock HD anymore.
- I have read that you can't dualboot so my question is: What if I don't like Rockbox? Can I still go back to the original software? If yes: how?

Hopefully someone can answer these questions. 

Thanks in advance

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,881 of 3,645
just boxed an old banged up 80gb classic i had lying around.  worked like a charm but then when i pulled out the charger along came a few of the pins inside the ipod 
frown.gif

not gonna bother getting it fixed nor am i a very good DIU'er soooo once the battery dies that's it for this ipod.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,882 of 3,645
Quote:
I am thinkg of rockboxing my iPod classic but before I do I was wondering about the following:

- I have an iPod Classic with 120GB of storage but my HD died so I replaced it with a 80GB one. Does that matter when I rockbox? Since I don't have the stock HD anymore.
- I have read that you can't dualboot so my question is: What if I don't like Rockbox? Can I still go back to the original software? If yes: how?

Hopefully someone can answer these questions. 

Thanks in advance

The answer to your questions is yes! All the info you need is on the first post of this thread, and I strongly advise to read it first... But to revert back to the original Apple FW you just need to plug your Rockboxed to a computer while running iTunes!

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,883 of 3,645
I tried 121124 release and my HD would continually run and it drained the battery from like 90% to 30% in about 20 minutes.  I ended up going back to 120802 and no problems.  I think i will stay with 120802 build from now on. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #1,884 of 3,645
Quote:
I tried 121124 release and my HD would continually run and it drained the battery from like 90% to 30% in about 20 minutes.  I ended up going back to 120802 and no problems.  I think i will stay with 120802 build from now on. 

Well, the latest release is working like a charm in mine! Battery life is the same as before, simply amazing... 

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,885 of 3,645
USB is still a major problem for me here. I just can't get my iPod recognized by my PC completely. In the best cases I have gotten so far I had USB 1.1 support only. In some other cases the driver would fail to install or the device was listened as mass storage device without any size in "My Computer". Occasionally the iPod would crash my USB-WLAN-Stick which is plugged in into the USB-Port next to it on the mainboard. I then have to replug it to get to the Internet again.
Rockbox itself likes to freeze after plugging the cable in or after pulling it out.

This happens with both, the old fallback image of emCORE and the never versions. I don't get these bad results on my laptop which is running Windows 8 however.

My custom-build rig is running Windows 7 x64, I am using an original Apple-cable and it is always plugged in directly to the mainboard.

Someone may help me with this? Rockbox is running fine and awesome otherwise :frowning2:

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #1,886 of 3,645
Quote:

huh, i have no idea why the disk wouldn't spin down.  Has anyone else seen this happen in the current build?

Quote:
USB is still a major problem for me here. I just can't get my iPod recognized by my PC completely. In the best cases I have gotten so far I had USB 1.1 support only. In some other cases the driver would fail to install or the device was listened as mass storage device without any size in "My Computer". Occasionally the iPod would crash my USB-WLAN-Stick which is plugged in into the USB-Port next to it on the mainboard. I then have to replug it to get to the Internet again.
Rockbox itself likes to freeze after plugging the cable in or after pulling it out.

This happens with both, the old fallback image of emCORE and the never versions. I don't get these bad results on my laptop which is running Windows 8 however.

My custom-build rig is running Windows 7 x64, I am using an original Apple-cable and it is always plugged in directly to the mainboard.

Someone may help me with this? Rockbox is running fine and awesome otherwise :frowning2:

The USB driver is buggy, so until someone works on it more you're out of luck.

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,887 of 3,645
I wonder how people are actually developing for this platform. I just tried to get the Doom-Plugin running (Doom is awesome!) but after I failed to copy the newly compiled rockbox binary so many times I really got out of the mood for that as every time I wanted to test it, I needed at least 30 min to update the ipod with the new version.

As long as you know what code you are writing that might be not the worst problem as you just have to be careful. But for trial&error debugging? Hell no.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,888 of 3,645

huh, i have no idea why the disk wouldn't spin down.  Has anyone else seen this happen in the current build?

The USB driver is buggy, so until someone works on it more you're out of luck.

Turns out it was user error on my part.  I believe i re initialized my data base while i was messing with the settings and didnt relize it at the same time i connected to media monkey which synced to my library which settings had been changed deleting all the songs, 6000+ from the data base.  This caused the long run time to the HD.  Since figuring it out i have updated to the newest build and all is good now.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,889 of 3,645
Quote:

I had this same problem when i initially installed rockbox months ago.  It was so frustrating i ended up going back to OF.  2 months ago i have gone back to Rockbox and have not had the problem.  Only thing different i have done this time is to make sure to turn on the ipod prior to connecting to usb and waiting for the ipods hard drive to stop spinning.  Once connected it takes about 15-20 seconds to be recognized.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #1,890 of 3,645
Quote:
I had this same problem when i initially installed rockbox months ago.  It was so frustrating i ended up going back to OF.  2 months ago i have gone back to Rockbox and have not had the problem.  Only thing different i have done this time is to make sure to turn on the ipod prior to connecting to usb and waiting for the ipods hard drive to stop spinning.  Once connected it takes about 15-20 seconds to be recognized.

No way, this really works! So one solution would be to wait for any access to the HDD to finish before initializing the USB-Connection from the iPod? I'm not really familiar with the code of Rockbox, but if it's really that simple I'm may able write a patch for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back