Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Dec 12, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #1,906 of 3,645
Quote:
Yes i did ... 

The following setp is were i am stuck.. 
The iPod will show an apple logo after about 5 seconds, keep holding the buttons until it seems to turn off completely The display of your iPod should now stay black, and a new USB device called "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver" should connect to your PC.

There is no new USB device seen.. 

The explanation is not clear in that step; there is no new USB device to be seen until you execute the bootstrap. Before that, there is the installation of the DFU driver, but no visible mount.
So like the others said, check if the antivirus is preventing something, re-run the manual and kill the mentioned Apple processes. If you then execute bootstrap.exe there might still be an error message, but you probably will get access to the 64MB sized disk.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,907 of 3,645
which build is currently stable (less battery drain problems) and compatible cross platform (Windows, Mac, Linux) ? 

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,909 of 3,645
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I currently running the cabbie classic theme and would like to change the color of the icons(battery display,shuffle etc.) on the WPS. I tryed the theme settings but was only able to change backround and line colors. Is it possible to do?   

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #1,910 of 3,645
I think my ipod classic turned into a brick.

Can't reset, didn't respond when plugging in using usb to computer (tried different computer and cable). I installed the latest version of rockbox using the utility downloaded.

Any suggestion on how I should do to revive it?

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #1,911 of 3,645
Quote:
I think my ipod classic turned into a brick.

Can't reset, didn't respond when plugging in using usb to computer (tried different computer and cable). I installed the latest version of rockbox using the utility downloaded.

Utility to install Rockbox?!? You used a Rockbox installer? Is your iPod a 7th Gen 160GB Classic?

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #1,912 of 3,645
yes, ipod classic latest one 160gb. Previously using the instructions given on the first page. but then i realize there are updated versions on rockbox.org. That's why i downloaded it and follow the utility to install the latest one. Everything works fine until i think few days after, when i plug in to charge the ipod and transfer a song or two, and after a while i noticed the ipod itself grew hot. That's when i realize that it doesn't respond anymore.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #1,913 of 3,645
Quote:
yes, ipod classic latest one 160gb. Previously using the instructions given on the first page. but then i realize there are updated versions on rockbox.org. That's why i downloaded it and follow the utility to install the latest one. Everything works fine until i think few days after, when i plug in to charge the ipod and transfer a song or two, and after a while i noticed the ipod itself grew hot. That's when i realize that it doesn't respond anymore.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... Let's be clear! Rockbox for the 160GB 7Gen Classic doesn't feature an installer! You have to manually install emCORE and then Rockbox! Was this what you did? First installed emCORE and then Rockbox?

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #1,914 of 3,645
I got the emcore and rockbox already. Then i update the ipod classic by installing using the Rockbox utility downloaded form rockbox. Then in the "configuration" section, check "show disabled targets", and then install as usual.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #1,915 of 3,645
Quote:
I got the emcore and rockbox already. Then i update the ipod classic by installing using the Rockbox utility downloaded form rockbox. Then in the "configuration" section, check "show disabled targets", and then install as usual.

To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a Rockbox utility for the Classic 160GB iPod! After you install emCORE, you'll always need to copy the RB updates over the older build. If you did that with an utility, like you said, I think you installed a iPod Video/5th gen Rockbox version on yours! If that is even possible... 
confused.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,916 of 3,645
Quote:
[...]  

Hope that this still works:
  • Install and start iTunes.
  • Connect your iPod with the USB-cable to your computer
  • Make sure the holdswitch is off. Now press and hold the menu button and select button at the same time for around 15 seconds until your iPod completely shuts down.
  • iTunes should tell you that the iPod needs to be recovered. Follow the procedure.

And next time don't ever ever install on unsupported devices :wink: Following the instructions in the first post is the only way to properly install on iPod Classic.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #1,917 of 3,645
Quote:

Quote:

To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a Rockbox utility for the Classic 160GB iPod! After you install emCORE, you'll always need to copy the RB updates over the older build. If you did that with an utility, like you said, I think you installed a iPod Video/5th gen Rockbox version on yours! If that is even possible... 
confused.gif

Start here:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

"There is no Rockbox bootloader available yet, you need to use emCORE from freemyipod.org instead."

Have you posted about this in the RB forums?  Can you try going back to the RECOMMENDED method (emCORE + some RB build), per the instructions on the first page here?  Failing that, can you restore the OF via iTunes, then get back to RB using the RECOMMENDED method?

I'm not sure why you thought using a utility from the RB site would work, when it's stated clearly that there is no install utility for the iPod Classic.  See the iPod Classic line on this page, "New Platforms Currently Under Development" section:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/TargetStatus#New_Platforms_Currently_Under_De

"Install with Rockbox Utility" = NO

Good luck.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #1,919 of 3,645
My itunes didn't detect the device and no matter how long i pressed and held the Menu+Select button (middle round button), there's no respond
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,920 of 3,645
I'm having the same problem as autumnholy, I uninstalled itunes and I need the drivers so i can get rid of those stupid apple drivers.
EDIT: Seems that my motherboard has failed again, looks like I'll have to build another computer again. I'll never buy EVGA components again, Nothing but problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back