Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,546 of 3,645
After some good cleaning in my room, I found back my Ipod classic 80GB. I thought it had been stolen or I had dropped it more than 3 years back but I hadn't.
Off-course the battery was dead-flat, so while I let it charge I was curious if there would finally be a Rockbox port for the classic and there was!

Once it was charged sufficiently to boot (for the first time in 3.5 years! I found out when I checked the dates for the last modified files) I immediately flashed EmCore

Finally a usable Rockbox DAP after so many years of living without :)
(I still have an Iriver H320 but it died, that's why I bought the classic)

First runtime with build 20120926 of the official Rockbox site was over 29 hours with still 30% left, I'm going to try aroldam's build next
I'm impressed by the SQ, from what I can remember the original FW used to sound very average and 'lifeless'. Maybe it's because of the absence of the volume limiter (EU model), with Rockbox it has so much more power, it is able to drive my AKG-K601 (120 ohm) up to decent levels.

Quote:
Uninstalled all the Apple-Stuff from my PC now too. Can't hurt I think. But I ran into another problem. I was using the Failsave-Theme since I put a fresh install of rockbox on my Classic. Now that I wanted to use some other I noticed that the WPS (While playing screen) wouldn't be themed like the rest was. Someone may know a fix for this? I've been using the themes of the iPod Video, since I read they "will just work" ™ Only the font and backgroundcolor seem to change, but that was it. Just text on a flat ground. Where do we find new themes for the classic anyways? There are none on the rockbox homepage since it isn't officially supported.

Have you tried rebooting yet? Some themes/WPS'es won't fully load until you do.

To find all theme's on Rockbox.org that will work on the classic use http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?allthemes and order by screen resolution, the ones with 320x240 pixels should work.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #1,547 of 3,645
I want to give you a guys a heads up. I have tried with my 240gb and m 160gb ipods. When running in Rockbox. When you put over 7 or 8 thousand songs on the ipod, and it tries to commit the database. It will freeze up in the middle of it. I have tried multiple times. And I am pretty sure the new itunes update is conflicting with the Rockbox software. Feel free to comment, or if you have any suggestions. Thanks. Oh, and I went back to the Apple firmware on my 240gb, and just put on what I want through itunes. I love Rockbox, but it doesn't do me much good, if I can't fill my ipod running it.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #1,548 of 3,645
Quote:
I want to give you a guys a heads up. I have tried with my 240gb and m 160gb ipods. When running in Rockbox. When you put over 7 or 8 thousand songs on the ipod, and it tries to commit the database. It will freeze up in the middle of it. I have tried multiple times. And I am pretty sure the new itunes update is conflicting with the Rockbox software. Feel free to comment, or if you have any suggestions. Thanks. Oh, and I went back to the Apple firmware on my 240gb, and just put on what I want through itunes. I love Rockbox, but it doesn't do me much good, if I can't fill my ipod running it.

Does that problem with the database also happens if you use just the file browser?

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #1,549 of 3,645
Quote:

Pretty sure it's an isolated problem. I own a rockboxed 240 gig as well with over 8000 songs right now and I have no issues using the database.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,550 of 3,645
Just a quick update for those of you who want to / going to / have to / upgrade to win8.
After the install, my rockboxed classic was not recognised, only an empty generic removable drive showing up when I plugged it in.
The winusb driver from freemyipod was not accepted, apparently not compatible with an x64 system, even though it was ok with win7 x64...
So here is what I had to do to get it recognised again:
1. Right click the 'Removable Drive', Properties, then Hardware tab
2. (Hopefully) you'll see your ipod, something like Apple ipod classic usb device listed under All disk drives. doubleckick it.
3. At the bottom of the Properties popup, click Change settings. There will be a new Properties popup. Choose the Driver tab.
4. Click Update driver > Browse my computer... > Let me pick from a list... > Choose 'Disk drives' and click Next. Click Next again.
You'll get a message that Windows successfully updated the driver.
The root folder of the ipod should pop up in the file explorer in a few seconds. There was no option to set the default action when plugging it in, but i guess this can be changed, I couldn't be bothered. After plugging in, it pops up quite fast, around 5 seconds. Also, no need to lock the ipod to make the computer 'see' it and to stop it from freezing like on win7. So far, looking good. Hope this helps some.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,551 of 3,645
Just to confirm, something like the "FiiO E3 line out dock cable" will work with a Rockbox'd Classic, yes? I ask because in doing a little reading it seems using the LOD is the best way to connect to a headphone amp... vs. going through the iPod's headphone jack, which adds the iPod's internal amp into the chain, whereas using the LOD bypasses the internal amp.

Thanks.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #1,552 of 3,645
Quote:
Just to confirm, something like the "FiiO E3 line out dock cable" will work with a Rockbox'd Classic, yes? I ask because in doing a little reading it seems using the LOD is the best way to connect to a headphone amp... vs. going through the iPod's headphone jack, which adds the iPod's internal amp into the chain, whereas using the LOD bypasses the internal amp.

Thanks.

Yes, it works, and that's the way to go (using a LOD) for the best SQ out of a Rockboxed iPod Classic...

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,553 of 3,645
Quote:

Yes, it works, and that's the way to go (using a LOD) for the best SQ out of a Rockboxed iPod Classic...

Thanks very much for the quick reply and confirmation 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #1,554 of 3,645
Quote:
Just a quick update for those of you who want to / going to / have to / upgrade to win8.
After the install, my rockboxed classic was not recognised, only an empty generic removable drive showing up when I plugged it in.
The winusb driver from freemyipod was not accepted, apparently not compatible with an x64 system, even though it was ok with win7 x64...
So here is what I had to do to get it recognised again:
1. Right click the 'Removable Drive', Properties, then Hardware tab
2. (Hopefully) you'll see your ipod, something like Apple ipod classic usb device listed under All disk drives. doubleckick it.
3. At the bottom of the Properties popup, click Change settings. There will be a new Properties popup. Choose the Driver tab.
4. Click Update driver > Browse my computer... > Let me pick from a list... > Choose 'Disk drives' and click Next. Click Next again.
You'll get a message that Windows successfully updated the driver.
The root folder of the ipod should pop up in the file explorer in a few seconds. There was no option to set the default action when plugging it in, but i guess this can be changed, I couldn't be bothered. After plugging in, it pops up quite fast, around 5 seconds. Also, no need to lock the ipod to make the computer 'see' it and to stop it from freezing like on win7. So far, looking good. Hope this helps some.

Thanks! I'll use that information in the "Rockbox for the iPod Classic" guide and FAQ that's currently being made, as in the future, with Windows 8 becoming more popular, it's bound to be of great help...

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #1,555 of 3,645
Quote:

Have you tried rebooting yet? Some themes/WPS'es won't fully load until you do.

To find all theme's on Rockbox.org that will work on the classic use http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?allthemes and order by screen resolution, the ones with 320x240 pixels should work.

Sure I did. I will try out more themes and see which will work. I remember having some which performed just fine. Probably I can make out the differences between those WPS-Files and fix it.

Edit: Seems like some other themes (like this one: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=754) won't even display the normal menus right. I see some part of the graphics, but nothing more.
This one here is working fine: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=483

Edit: Stupid me forgot to install the fontpack. Everything is working now! :)

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #1,556 of 3,645
Quote:
I have this issue as well. I tried un installing the device drivers, but when I plug it in it fails to install the USB mass storage driver. anyone have any ideas?

Same issue here. Both on a pc with itunes and another pc without itunes.

Hope for a fix soon!

Edit:

I managed to get an older version on my ipod. The problem is now partly gone:

This only worked on the pc with iTunes installed.

First boot the ipod with the center button holded down, to get  in the boot menu.
There select "clear rockbox configuration" in the tools menu. (at one point in time I also select "runfallback image" but i dont think it is necccesary).

Reboot and wait. Then connect the ipod to the pc and it will show up as a drive like normal.

Next download version 120905 (is the second newest) from  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_ 

And replace the  .rockbox map on the ipod with the .rockbox map you just downloaded.

The other version seems to be without problems when using the pc with itunes. The pc without itunes however will still not recognize the ipod with version 120905. For that you probably need an even older version, the latest version know to me is: d8fd988M-120222

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #1,557 of 3,645

Tried to upgrade to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926 from r31516-120101 and although it upgraded just fine, I lost my USB connectivity.  I get the message on the iPod that says it's connected via USB but it never shows up on my Windows 7 or Mountain Lion machines like it use to.

I have to go through the iTunes restore process and then the entire install process to get it back to a point where I can attempt the upgrade again.  I have tried to install straight to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926, as well as upgrade as I described above and both ways I lose my USB connection for good.

Quote:
I have this issue as well. I tried un installing the device drivers, but when I plug it in it fails to install the USB mass storage driver. anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Same issue here. Both on a pc with itunes and another pc without itunes.
Hope for a fix soon!

You could try booting in the Rockbox fallback image:
Boot EmCore by holding the 'Menu' button, go to 'Tools' > 'Run Rockbox fallback image'

See if your Ipod mounts when you insert the USB cable

If it does: put another build on your Ipod
for me the official build from the rockbox site works best (I used 20120926, get it from http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g) Aroldam's build does occasionally freeze on my 6th gen Ipod

If it doesn'trename the .rockbox folder to something else from within rockbox and reboot, your Ipod should now be forced to boot in fallback mode
do this by going into 'Settings' > 'General Settings' > 'File View' > 'Show Files' > 'All'. Now go back to the main menu and open 'File View' long press '.rockbox' > 'Rename' > press select and then play. Now reboot and wait for rockbox to boot, try to connect USB and put another build on your Ipod (if you want to keep your settings, be sure to rename the .rockboxA folder back to .rockbox before you put another build on your Ipod!)

Just to make sure everyone can understand, I made fool-proof instructions. This is what worked for me

Edit: added link Wrong link, edited again

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #1,558 of 3,645
Larsie, thank you for your post.

My ipod is now on the build of 20120926.

Unfortunately the ipod is still not recognized on my pc without itunes. On my pc with itunes there are no problems. Although I don't think itunes necessary makes the difference, both pcs are on win7 64 bit. 

All is so wierd because the ipod used to be recognized on both pcs while using the much older build (d8fd988M-120222).

I will keep an eye on updates though to see whether this wil be fixed again. 

Edit: Tried to 6g build you linked. Also only the itunes pc will recognize the ipod.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #1,559 of 3,645
Quote:

​

Rockbox for the iPod Classic
iPod 6G/6.5G/7G (Classic 1G/2G/3G) (2007-2011, 80/120/160GB)....

...Credits

1. The people from Rockbox
  2. The people from FreeMyiPod
  3. Cástor Muñoz who introduced great powersaving patches for the Classic port
  4. aroldan who has been implementing merged patches and customizing the Classic port to make it even better
  5. All those who give support in this topic
  6. r100, putente, jtaylor991 and captainwolf for writing and contributing to this manual

I really like this thread resource in the first post. Great work, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back