Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 27, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #1,306 of 3,645
Here's something odd I've run into. I'm running the latest aroldan build.

I'm using the ipod with etymotics er4-p and go vibe petite amp.

When I listen to songs on the ipod, I'm hearing some type of static noise on midbass and bass notes. It sounds kind of like when a speaker is blown. Seems to occur on any mp3 song I play, although FLAC files seem to play ok. When I play the exact same song(s) on my macbook pro using the same go vibe amp, I don't hear any of the same static noise. The songs sound perfect. I copied the exact songs off the laptop (which sound static free) and threw them on the ipod  to make sure it was the exact same files. But I'm still hearing the static using the ipod. Is there a setting I'm missing on the rockbox software? I looked through the sounds settings but didn't seem to find anything. 

The songs I used were 320kbps mp3. I did recently get the transducers replaced on my er4p. Any ideas?

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #1,307 of 3,645
@handoverfist77,

first, you should rule out that you don't have the same problem using the analog input which you could easily check with a jack2jack cable from ipod to amp.

now, if the issue only happens when the ipod is connected via usb, it occurs to me that the problem lies in the DAC capabilities of your amp regarding to mp3 decoding, considering that FLAC files playback is working fine. That means a hardware incompatibility which you can try to workaround either converting mp3 files to another format or to mp3 but using a different encoder / bitrate, constant not variable bitrate, etc etc...

giving a second thought....maybe if your amp is firmware upgradable, you should check that the your amp is running the latest version available from the manufacturer's webpage...

hope this helps...

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #1,308 of 3,645
Thanks for the reply joaq. I took the amp out of the equation entirely when testing today. I plugged in just my earphones to ipod (160gb) and macbook pro respectively and listened to the exact same song. Still getting the unwanted noise when listening on the ipod. Copied the song over to my samsung galaxy s2 and listened, and it sounds fine on there albeit crappy sound quality. Could it be the rockbox software??? Not sure what to do at this point. Thinking of maybe reverting to the stock ipod software.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #1,309 of 3,645
Quote:
Thanks for the reply joaq. I took the amp out of the equation entirely when testing today. I plugged in just my earphones to ipod (160gb) and macbook pro respectively and listened to the exact same song. Still getting the unwanted noise when listening on the ipod. Copied the song over to my samsung galaxy s2 and listened, and it sounds fine on there albeit crappy sound quality. Could it be the rockbox software??? Not sure what to do at this point. Thinking of maybe reverting to the stock ipod software.

You might somehow have a corrupted file in the Rockbox. To be absolutely sure, reload the OF with iTunes. Then download Rockbox again (same current version) and do a reinstall of EmCORE and Rockbox. If that doesn't fix it, there is always the unfortunate option of returning permanently to the OF.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #1,311 of 3,645
Another question for iPod Video/Classic + Rockbox owners stuck with iTunes libraries (as I am).

Basically, my whole libraries (excluding the FLAC files) are located on iTunes. I have it on an external Qnap NAS server which is connected to my Mac and I keep my music inside a multimedia folder. I'd like to know in which format should be the directory structure and how I can organize the files on my iPod with Rockbox my whole music library. I would like to copy all my music collection on the iPod, but Rockbox to be able to recognize all.

I guess I should have some .pls files which to be linked with the files within the content of the library, something like /Users/myusername/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media.

Any advice? Has anyone solved this problem with another library organizing software, or by simply using iTunes and its features?

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #1,312 of 3,645
I use musicbee which has really strong file organization features. If you don't want to change the current structure of your library, you can just point musicbee to its current location so it can build its own library and then use it to populate your rockboxed ipod. It's the fastest easiest option imo after using winamp, mediamonkey and foobar.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,313 of 3,645
Thanks for the feedback, gnarlsagan!
I've forgot to mention... I have only Mac devices and I'm stuck in iTunes as library source. I am using Mac OS Mountain Lion now.
Unfortunately MusicBee doesn't have version for Mac... can I use something else instead? Any recommendation for something tested by other users, Mac owners?

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #1,315 of 3,645
Sorry for offtop but I searched a lot and could not find the answer:

What is the output impedance of current ( 3rd ) generation iPod Classics? 
blink.gif

And another question: does RockBox improve SQ of Classic?

Thanks.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,318 of 3,645
Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #1,320 of 3,645
Thanks a lot aroldan! will definitely try out the lastest build. Everything works perfectly except sometimes system doesn't response fast enough to the scrolling in a big filelist. It freezes for 1 or 2 seconds. Is this thing ever possible to be fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back