Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #1,291 of 3,645
Quote:
So, I would assume, no it doesn't? lol Or does it. I get so confused with all the whateverG ipods and eveything it messes with my brain...
mad.gif

We call the current iPod Classic, i.e. thin 160GB, the "7G". And yes Rockbox does work on it. This whole thread is devoted to how it does work.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #1,293 of 3,645
hi everyone in this group. i'm new to this rockbox i have just install emcore-r867 with rockbox-ipod6g-55847d0M-120802 build on my old classic (80gb 6gen) it work like a charm. but i heard that it drain much battery. so can u explain me how to make it last long? will it effect the sound of my device if i want to set the custom channel like this post: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-32770.html thank advance for any advice.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,294 of 3,645
Hi,
I have a 80GB 6G classic and I get to Emcore installer screen on ipod but when I press menu+play to accept conditions it reboots back into Apple,anyone have any ideas.I have tried tapping both buttons and holding both until reboot?
Thanks for any help you may have

****Don't worry I was being a **** ! I was using Menu+select !!!*****

confused_face(1).gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #1,295 of 3,645
Quote:

Thanks for reply! 
Meanwhile I've managed to read the whole topic with a little bit of patience. Indeed, most of my questions were answered:

- it doesn't matter if my 7G 160GB iPod Classic is EU (w/ volume cap) or US version (w/o volume cap), as the Rockbox will remove that volume limitation anyway
- iTunes cannot be used anymore after this upgrade with emCORE and Rockbox, as the whole thing is a non-Apple product from SW point of view. I don't need iTunes anyway.
- also, none of external DACs or iPod dock are not working with iPod Classic after upgrade with RB
- video playback is also not supported. Does anyone knows if this feature will be implemented in a future? The device is more like a music player, I don't cry too much for video on a 320x240 screen, as I'm having the 4s and iPad

Some other questions related to emCORE and RB:

1. does the USB port is stable under MacOS Mountain Lion? Did someone used drag&drop under Mac with this mood? I've read at the start of the topic that some people experienced some crashes and for some, actually the USB port was not mapped on Mac
2. any future official release of RB on the official website in the closer future? The development of RB for iPod Classic is still ongoing, or it has stopped during the summer?
3. will dual-boot will be implemented in future?

I've just ordered today an iPod Classic 160GB and I'll get it next week. It will be RBx'ed immediately!
L3000.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,297 of 3,645
cooperpwc, thanks a million for this information, I was actually looking for it on the topic.
Btw, has anyone installed a RB on a 160GB Classic model, also replacing the stock HDD with a bigger PATA SSD? Would improve visibly the runtime of the mooded Classic?

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,298 of 3,645
Quote:

We call the current iPod Classic, i.e. thin 160GB, the "7G". And yes Rockbox does work on it. This whole thread is devoted to how it does work.

Oh.. ok lol.

I have it on my 5.5g and was thinking about getting another iPod and wasn't really sure. lol

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #1,299 of 3,645
Quote:
[...]
Some other questions related to emCORE and RB:

1. does the USB port is stable under MacOS Mountain Lion? Did someone used drag&drop under Mac with this mood? I've read at the start of the topic that some people experienced some crashes and for some, actually the USB port was not mapped on Mac
2. any future official release of RB on the official website in the closer future? The development of RB for iPod Classic is still ongoing, or it has stopped during the summer?

I've just ordered today an iPod Classic 160GB and I'll get it next week. It will be RBx'ed immediately!
L3000.gif

1. What you read at the start of the topic is not really up to date anymore because of all the updates meanwhile of both EmCORE and Rockbox.
2. Probably no official release, installing EmCORE is still considered risky and difficult by some.. Development has stopped during summer. Updates might come in a while, although EmCORE already is very stable and complete, so I guess it would then only be small fixes.
3. No, most likely not. And honestly I hope they don't, I like my Classic clean and fast :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #1,300 of 3,645
Quote:
hi everyone in this group. i'm new to this rockbox i have just install emcore-r867 with rockbox-ipod6g-55847d0M-120802 build on my old classic (80gb 6gen) it work like a charm. but i heard that it drain much battery. so can u explain me how to make it last long? will it effect the sound of my device if i want to set the custom channel like this post: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-32770.html thank advance for any advice.

It doesn't drain much battery at all. With 160kbps mp3 which Apple used for their tests you should be able to beat their maximum playing time by a little bit if your battery still is decent.
Make sure you have set 'directory cache' on (normally it is, unless you turned it off) and that the LCD 'sleeps' when the hold switch is used. And yes, if you change your EQ/channels it will change the sound because that's what it's meant to do :wink:

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #1,302 of 3,645
Quote:
Has anyone experienced any problems with their device showing up in mountain lion? 

I'll try my new Classic 160GB this week, as I need to receive it. I have also Mountain Lion on my MBP 13, 2010 model.
Have you you used the release recommended to me by cooperpwc?

Quote:
mandrei83, this is the release of Rockbox that you should use. It is aroldan's latest and it is right in the zone, (in my opinion for all intents and purposes perfect within the current EmCORE limitations).

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #1,304 of 3,645
Hmmm... so you're experiencing USB connection issues with this FW on Mac OS Mountain Lion? Hope we'll get a fix for this...
Guys, any of you is using playlists on his iPod Classic with RB? How did you managed to arrange them on the device, considering that my whole library is on iTunes? There is a special format requested by RB, in order to be able to play the files? 

I haven't received yet my RB, so I cannot check myself this information "on-hands".

Thanks,
Andrei

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,305 of 3,645
Quote:

Quote:
3. No, most likely not. And honestly I hope they don't, I like my Classic clean and fast :)

It's a requirement for the port to be promoted to anything but 'Unusable' as it is now ..
Quote:
Has anyone experienced any problems with their device showing up in mountain lion? 

Yep, when connected to a Mac, it wants to initialize the disk .
I believe the EmCore disk-layout is 'wrong' . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back