Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,261 of 3,645
Also does anyone have problems with artwork? It tends to not show up, although it's definitely in the tags. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #1,262 of 3,645
Quote:
I have the retrotape and the fonts installed.  I like it so far, very cool.  One quick question though...you know when you activate or press a button etc to play a song, and after a little while the screnn blacks out, how do I control the amount of time before it blacks out?  Mine seems to black out after a very short while, maybe 8 seconds.  How do I adjust these settings?  Thanks again.

Settings > General Settings > Display > LCD Settings > Backlight, Backlight while plugged in, Backlight (on hold)

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,263 of 3,645
After installing any theme (or making any changes), reboot Rockbox by holding Menu and Select until the screen goes black.

Tagged artwork is complicated. I don'tknow why it sometimes works and sometimes does not. It is a Rockbox issue, not specifc to any theme. Putting a JPEG of the album art named "Folder.jpg" in the album folder is a reliable method.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,264 of 3,645
Hi.

Could somebody please describe RB current build issues on iPod Classic 3G ( ~7G ). I'm going to buy one to RB, and want to know what problems will I meet. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #1,265 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi.

Could somebody please describe RB current build issues on iPod Classic 3G ( ~7G ). I'm going to buy one to RB, and want to know what problems will I meet. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it's just recording the recording and dualboot boot features that aren't working. Apart from that, everything is pretty much stable! Also, you don't have the auto installer option, so you have to manually install RB with emCORE. But it's easy enough... I'm very happy with my Rockbox'ed iPod Classic 160GB! 
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #1,266 of 3,645
Guy's does the classics have better SQ than a 2nd gen nano? Because honestly, I'm pairing up my rockboxed nano with E11 and sounds terrible compared to my Cowon S9. It's really bad, there's no seperation or clarity and it just sounds like one big mess of crap. Surely this isn't what all you guy's hear? I'm thinking of purchasing a 5th gen 80gb for the huge storage space but not if it sounds like what I was hearing. Even my Clip+ leaves it for dust?

Does it get better with a rockboxed 5th gen classic?

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #1,267 of 3,645
Quote:

I think it's just recording the recording and dualboot boot features that aren't working. Apart from that, everything is pretty much stable! Also, you don't have the auto installer option, so you have to manually install RB with emCORE. But it's easy enough... I'm very happy with my Rockbox'ed iPod Classic 160GB! 
wink.gif

Thanks!

I have another question: does the gapless playback work on this device?

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #1,269 of 3,645
Quote:
Guy's does the classics have better SQ than a 2nd gen nano? Because honestly, I'm pairing up my rockboxed nano with E11 and sounds terrible compared to my Cowon S9. It's really bad, there's no seperation or clarity and it just sounds like one big mess of crap. Surely this isn't what all you guy's hear? I'm thinking of purchasing a 5th gen 80gb for the huge storage space but not if it sounds like what I was hearing. Even my Clip+ leaves it for dust?
Does it get better with a rockboxed 5th gen classic?

EmCORE for the Nano 2G isn't recommended yet according to their website. This probably explains the poor sound quality.
And you're mixing up things, the iPod 5th gen isn't the Classic, it's the Video. On the Video you can install RB with the supported installer, on the Classic you need to use EmCORE.
Most people say that the RB Video sounds more warm and analogue, and the RB Classic sharper and clean.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #1,270 of 3,645
EmCORE for the Nano 2G isn't recommended yet according to their website. This probably explains the poor sound quality.
And you're mixing up things, the iPod 5th gen isn't the Classic, it's the Video. On the Video you can install RB with the supported installer, on the Classic you need to use EmCORE.
Most people say that the RB Video sounds more warm and analogue, and the RB Classic sharper and clean.

I have since remembered my ipod nano is a 1st gen I installed rockbox using the installer from their site. There was no EmieCories or anything like that needed. :p But now I understand a lot more about the models differences so I thank you. if they sound anything like you describe the Classic would be a better choice to try.

I do thank you for the reply, muchly. :smile:

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,271 of 3,645
Quote:
I have since remembered my ipod nano is a 1st gen I installed rockbox using the installer from their site. There was no EmieCories or anything like that needed.
tongue.gif
But now I understand a lot more about the models differences so I thank you. if they sound anything like you describe the Classic would be a better choice to try.
I do thank you for the reply, muchly.
smile.gif

The Nano 1G had the same problem as all the older ipods, a little bit of bass roll off with low impedance headphones due to too small coupling capacitors.  You can fix that pretty readily though the EQ since its a pretty small effect.  The Nano1G and Video 5.5G were the last ipods with that problem.  

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #1,272 of 3,645
Wow, I read all the 85 pages and I Rockboxed my 7th GEN Ipod Classic with great succes !
My current setup= RB Ipod classic --> pa2v2 --> Sennheiser HD 25 SP II = awesome ! so thanks a lot guys !

Only one thing that annoys me....
All my flac files have the tracknumber in the metadata but RB just orders them alfabeticly, only when I have a .CUE file in the folder it follows the order of the cue (so correct)
So is there a way to fix this?
And if there isn't is there a way I can make my own .CUE file ?

Thanx a lot, now really love my Ipod ! :p

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,273 of 3,645
Quote:
Wow, I read all the 85 pages and I Rockboxed my 7th GEN Ipod Classic with great succes !
My current setup= RB Ipod classic --> pa2v2 --> Sennheiser HD 25 SP II = awesome ! so thanks a lot guys !

Only one thing that annoys me....
All my flac files have the tracknumber in the metadata but RB just orders them alfabeticly, only when I have a .CUE file in the folder it follows the order of the cue (so correct)
So is there a way to fix this?
And if there isn't is there a way I can make my own .CUE file ?

Thanx a lot, now really love my Ipod ! :p

Who ripped your music without track numbers? That is a serious mistake.

I don't have an answer to your question. I use the browser so of course the songs are ordered alphanumerically.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #1,274 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:

Who ripped your music without track numbers? That is a serious mistake.

I don't have an answer to your question. I use the browser so of course the songs are ordered alphanumerically.

I also use the browser...
And my music comes from everywhere, friends, some bought online and ofcourse the ones I ripped myself.
Even in the browser the tracks are screwed up, no big deal but I have some Live albums and it would be nice if they play in order...

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #1,275 of 3,645
Quote:
I also use the browser...
And my music comes from everywhere, friends, some bought online and ofcourse the ones I ripped myself.
Even in the browser the tracks are screwed up, no big deal but I have some Live albums and it would be nice if they play in order...

To make the files appear in the right order in the browser, simply edit the filename.

1. 01 - Artist - Song.flac
  2. 02 - Artist - Song.flac
etc..

For the database it's all about correct metadata. The browser will show the filename or something like it on the WPS when other info is missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back