Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #961 of 3,645
Quote:
Anyone compared a rockbox Ipod Classic 5th Gen with a rockbox Clip+?

I'm looking for a larger capacity mp3 player and my friend is willing to sell me his 80GB Ipod Classic 5th Gen. If the SQ is the same or lose out to Clip+, there's no point of me buying it.

There is no such thing as the Classic 5th gen. It's either an iPod 5th gen (Video, plastic front) or iPod 6/6.5/7th gen (Classic, aluminium front.
Be sure to identify your model in order to be able to install the proper version of Rockbox for it.
I don't know about the SQ, but even if it's the same, there's always the advantage of storage space.

Quote:
[...]  
Does anybody know about a bug or a catch with AAC?
Thanks in advance.

The very few AACs I have on my Rockboxed Classic work fine. Maybe you can pick a random test song and convert it to the different versions of AAC, see if RB actually prefers one of them.

Quote:
Quick question. If I want to change from my current build, r862, and I want to go up or down a build, how do I do that? Will it erase my music?

I'm also starting to have some problems now. My computer won't recognize my iPod anymore so I can't add files or anything. I've rebooted it and connected it several times and it won't show up at all. Also, how do I access the emcore boot menu when I set up my iPod to start up and go straight to rockbox?

Recognizing can take some time. When the fastboot action is set to Rockbox you can get into the EmCORE boot menu by holding any button (menu button is best, has no function here) while booting. Then go to 'Tools' and select 'Run UMSboot'. Connect to your computer and copy the newer version of emcore ( .ubi file) to the UMSboot drive. Safely remove and after installation all music should still be there.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #963 of 3,645
Thank you very much r100. My iPod is still not recognized when its in rockbox, so I think I'm going to install a different version of emcore. I'm currently running r862. Should I run r859 or a newer version?

I'm running r866 without problem on Aroldan's build, 0618. I'll have to update to his latest release tomorrow when I get a computer, though.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #964 of 3,645
Hi,

I have just installed the latest version of emCORE/ Rockbox (r859 (2012-01-02)) on my ipod 6th gen 80GB.

The installation went fine and have downloaded about 8GB worth of music.

The player seemed to be working fine when using it.

However I am trying to drag & drop some more music onto my ipod from my computer and its not working.

It comes up with the error message 'Cannot copy said song: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name'

The ipod folder on the computer goes blank and the ipod freezes, making me have to press menu/select to reboot it.

I have no idea what is going on.

Can someone help?

Cheers

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #967 of 3,645
Quote:
[...]

The ipod folder on the computer goes blank and the ipod freezes, making me have to press menu/select to reboot it.
[...]

Are you using a Rockbox build from 2012-01-02? Try this one: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/uk_5TcXcnl/rockbox-ipod6g-0e9dc3bM-120628.zip

And, maybe even more important, do not use a USB hub or anything like a cable splitter for Rockboxed Classics, they seem to be allergic to it. Just connect the ipod directly to a usb port on the motherboard with a proper original cable.

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #968 of 3,645
Hi, thanks for the link.

Tried that build aswell as one recommended off the Rockbox forum.

Also plugging directly into the motherboard using what i believe to be an Apple usb cable.

Same problem occured

Hmm

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #969 of 3,645
Quote:
[...]  
Same problem occured

Hmm

Is the connection stable when it's in UMSboot? Have you tried different USB ports and different computers? And try it again but with 'charge during usb' set off. And what happens if you use the fallback image from the EmCORE boot menu?

And if you delete some of that 8GB music and copy something else, does it always stop when there's 8GB on the iPod? That would mean your hdd is damaged from those sectors on.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #973 of 3,645
Thanks! 
atsmile.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #974 of 3,645
aroldan

Is the 30000 song limit for playlists hard-coded into Rockbox? Or could it be slightly increased (as 160GB ipods are bigger than most (or all) other DAPs? I have quite a few mono encoded songs, and when I fill up the ipod it get's into the 34000 range or so, and it would nice to be able to actually shuffle all the content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back