Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jun 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #931 of 3,645
Hi-I have read thru most of this thread and I am still confused!!

I just bought a new 7th Gen IPOD Classic 160 GB and I would like to know if it can be Rockboxed?

If so what file on Rockbox do I use?

In Advance Thanks!!

Jack

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #932 of 3,645
Oh by the way if possible which Manual would be relevant?

Again Thanks

Jack

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #933 of 3,645
Quote:
when i press to play a song from my large playlist (roughly 7000 songs) it take ages to go to the playing screen, it freezes the screen but the music plays, that is with the latest build: 18/06

I have the same problem.  I know Rockbox can take large playlists, so I made a 13,000 track playlist in Winamp just so I could shuffle all of my metal music and dropped it onto my iPod.  The playlist only showed 10,000 tracks, and my iPod was very laggy,

Is this beyond the capabilities of Rockbox?  I can make playlists for each metal genre, but I really wanted one giant one with everything so I could shuffle it and enjoy a variety of metal.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #934 of 3,645
Quote:
I had some of the same troubles over a year ago. When I was at the stage you're at, updating net framework to 3.5 with a service pack made all the difference.

I do recall I had to update my USB drivers on my XP machine before that, and had been told this:

> This sounds like the machines haven't seen any WDF drivers
> yet, so you would need the full driver package from
> http://files.freemyipod.org/misc/WinUSBXP.7z and not just
> the inf file.
>
> You need to extract that zip file to a different directory
> (or remove the winusb.inf file), otherwise Windows might
> choose the wrong inf file.

But that link at freemyipod is dead now. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can speak on this.

Good luck.

Thank you :)
I think those drivers have to be installed when you don't have iTunes on your PC (already tried but it doesn't work :/). Drivers+tutorial http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/DFUNoiTunes

EDIT:

When I open bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes "UMSBoot image" shows up on my iPod. On the computer there's an error though:

EDIT:
The disk shows up on Device Manager but the Windows won't asign a letter to it...And it won't show up on Disk Management! I don't know what else to do -.-

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #935 of 3,645
Quote:
Thank you :)
I think those drivers have to be installed when you don't have iTunes on your PC (already tried but it doesn't work :/). Drivers+tutorial http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/DFUNoiTunes

EDIT:

When I open bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes "UMSBoot image" shows up on my iPod. On the computer there's an error though:

EDIT:
The disk shows up on Device Manager but the Windows won't asign a letter to it...And it won't show up on Disk Management! I don't know what else to do -.-

I had this problem a while back as well. Tried to do the tutorial using Linux, also no success. A few weeks later they updated bootstrap on freemyipod.org (tweaked something, I don't know what) and suddenly it did work for me.
Btw, have you tried using another iPod cable?

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #937 of 3,645
Are you logged in as 'administrator' ?
Some anti-virus programs/Security-suites don't play nicely with low-level 'hacking' like this ..
A few of them are even notorious for behaving badly with non-standard volumes, so disable your AV
and try again with a fresh iTunes installed on a 32bit OS .. It worked for me, maybe you get lucky to ?

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #938 of 3,645
Quote:
Are you logged in as 'administrator' ?
Some anti-virus programs/Security-suites don't play nicely with low-level 'hacking' like this ..
A few of them are even notorious for behaving badly with non-standard volumes, so disable your AV
and try again with a fresh iTunes installed on a 32bit OS .. It worked for me, maybe you get lucky to ?

Finally!
I'm using AVG and disabled everything I could on my 64 bit PC. It didn't work.

Did the same thing on my 32bit PC WITHOUT iTunes (used the specified tutorial) and it worked! Finally...

Thank you for the tip...it was the only think I hadn't tried yet.
:D

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #939 of 3,645
Quote:
Oh by the way if possible which Manual would be relevant?

Again Thanks

Jack

Quote:
Hi-I have read thru most of this thread and I am still confused!!

I just bought a new 7th Gen IPOD Classic 160 GB and I would like to know if it can be Rockboxed?

If so what file on Rockbox do I use?

In Advance Thanks!!

Jack

Anyone Please Help

Thanks Again!!

Jack

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #940 of 3,645
I don't usually post here but...if you read this thread how can't you figure out if there's already rockbox for classic?

Just google for emcore ipod classic and look for instructions.

http://freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #941 of 3,645
Guess I am stupid!

Thanks anyway

Jack

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #942 of 3,645
Here's a question for aroldan (or anyone who might be working on future builds). Would it be difficult to expand the maximum "limit" for the playlist size just a bit? With the settings as they are you cannot increase this number past 30000, but unlike other rockbox devices, it's not hard to have more than that number of songs on a 160GB ipod.

Maybe 40000 or 50000? I currently have over 32000 songs, with room to spare. And when I go to load a playlist with everything, I get a "dir buffer is full" error message. It would be nice if I could stuff a few more thousand songs into a list.

Just wondering. I SO much appreciate all the efforts going into this (now) fantastic port. Thanks!

P.S. I notice that I've run my ipod battery down to nothing. Previously the only thing that would work would be to plug in the USB with the lock switch "on" until enough power would trickle in, then I would unlock, boot up and initiate rockbox and then do a normal USB charge.

Is there an easier or better way now to recover from a drained battery?

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #943 of 3,645
Quote:
Here's a question for aroldan (or anyone who might be working on future builds). Would it be difficult to expand the maximum "limit" for the playlist size just a bit? With the settings as they are you cannot increase this number past 30000, but unlike other rockbox devices, it's not hard to have more than that number of songs on a 160GB ipod.

Maybe 40000 or 50000? I currently have over 32000 songs, with room to spare. And when I go to load a playlist with everything, I get a "dir buffer is full" error message. It would be nice if I could stuff a few more thousand songs into a list.

Just wondering. I SO much appreciate all the efforts going into this (now) fantastic port. Thanks!

P.S. I notice that I've run my ipod battery down to nothing. Previously the only thing that would work would be to plug in the USB with the lock switch "on" until enough power would trickle in, then I would unlock, boot up and initiate rockbox and then do a normal USB charge.

Is there an easier or better way now to recover from a drained battery?

How are you getting your playlist to show more than 10,000 songs?  I'm making mine in Winamp, and I can't get more than 10.000 songs to show up!  It also drains my battery terribly, and has a lot of lag!

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #944 of 3,645
Quote:

How are you getting your playlist to show more than 10,000 songs?  I'm making mine in Winamp, and I can't get more than 10.000 songs to show up!  It also drains my battery terribly, and has a lot of lag!

I make my playlists in Winamp as well. Works well.

Change this setting to a bigger number...

Settings > General Settings > System > Limits > Max Playlist Size (Max allowed - 30000)

Also increased the "Max Entries in File Browser" (in the same menu tree) to the highest number - 10000.

Of course, you shouldn't set these limits too far above the actual size of your playlists.

While there is often a tiny bit of lag, there's VERY little now, compared to earlier versions where it might take many minutes to load or just lock up.

I've been successfully playing my "everything" playlist on a daily basis, and it seems to be playing the thirty-thousand songs it can handle (up to the "limit") in a pleasant random fashion, with absolutely no lag after it the second song or so. And no crashes or stuttering.

I believe the only failure occurred when I tried to change some levels in the 10 band EQ too quickly. If you roll 'em up and down slowly, it seems to do fine.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #945 of 3,645
I am soooooo much in love with Rockbox. Replaygain+pre-amp+ipod = heaven. No need to waste hours messing with mp3gain, hah!

My only gripe is that it does not power up my FM transmitter that I use for my car. I'm seriously contemplating buying a 240GB one for Rockbox and use my current 160GB one with Apple firmware for my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back