Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jun 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #916 of 3,645
My understanding if one is using BA (balanced armature) IEMs, the lower the ohms from the DAP the better.
The Classic and Touch have, I believe 5 ohms which is not very good for a BA Vs. Clip+ which is 1 ohm.  Since I have one BA, I need to look for a DAP with lower ohms.  Thinking of the Cowon J3.

The latest Nano is 1.9 which is not bad, but the lack of storage is its drawback.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #917 of 3,645
Maybe it would be a good thing to mention the headset you use and the file type... and if your classic is rockboxed or not! I will not be so secure if I have connected a pair of Etymotic to the Classic... Ohm laws and efficency have theyr meanings...
I would say that that they are two different type of portable gear: the classic has a huge amount of space (my first choice) the Sony is more handy and can hit the floor without fearing big damages. I dislike all kind of "audio improvment" that I can't control so Clear Stereo, Clear Bass and DSEE would be the first things I disable on a Sony! Moreover it is mandatory for me to have a crossfeed control on portable gear when I use them with a headset - so, for me, only rockboxed gear will touch my ears, I used rb on the classic even if the batery runtime was ridiculous and it crashed, now it runs smooth and even longer than OF :)
I run my Classic with a pair of MC5, sometimes with a pair of AT Onto or Sony MDR-V700 (but Ipod is not ment for this), flac, ape, 320 cbr mp3, any kind of music

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #918 of 3,645
Quote:
Maybe it would be a good thing to mention the headset you use and the file type... and if your classic is rockboxed or not! I will not be so secure if I have connected a pair of Etymotic to the Classic... Ohm laws and efficency have theyr meanings...
I would say that that they are two different type of portable gear: the classic has a huge amount of space (my first choice) the Sony is more handy and can hit the floor without fearing big damages. I dislike all kind of "audio improvment" that I can't control so Clear Stereo, Clear Bass and DSEE would be the first things I disable on a Sony! Moreover it is mandatory for me to have a crossfeed control on portable gear when I use them with a headset - so, for me, only rockboxed gear will touch my ears, I used rb on the classic even if the batery runtime was ridiculous and it crashed, now it runs smooth and even longer than OF :)
I run my Classic with a pair of MC5, sometimes with a pair of AT Onto or Sony MDR-V700 (but Ipod is not ment for this), flac, ape, 320 cbr mp3, any kind of music

UM3X

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #920 of 3,645
Updated from 120610 to 120618. I used to enjoy power in 610. Only 20 min. to listen to 618. Just beautiful, warm and great separation. Aroldan, thank you very much. I'm addicted what you create. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #921 of 3,645
Quote:
Updated from 120610 to 120618. I used to enjoy power in 610. Only 20 min. to listen to 618. Just beautiful, warm and great separation. Aroldan, thank you very much. I'm addicted what you create. 

I'm also using it now, but what are the differences between these two builds? I noticed that both builds are a little bit bigger in file size than previous versions, but I can't find what has changed.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #922 of 3,645
Quote:
Why should you do this? The classic with rockbox is scaled to 1/4 and core voltage dropped. My benchmark on classic gave me 36 Hours of continuos playback with a Beyer DT hp, new battery, first charge, mp3 (50%), flac(40%), ape(10%) - maybe better than OF, considering that flac and ape are bigger (more hdd accesses), its an excellent result. Mine is a 6th 160 gb

I completely agree that recent builds have been working excellent, but I'm just curious how to get even more battery life out of it. Why not improve it even more?
FLAC indeed requires more disk access but is less cpu intensive to process compared to mp3.

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #923 of 3,645
Quote:

I'm also using it now, but what are the differences between these two builds? I noticed that both builds are a little bit bigger in file size than previous versions, but I can't find what has changed.

The only difference is that in the latest (120618) I included the patch "Reworking playlist viewer to use memory more efficiently" that solves a crash when scrolling big playlists.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #925 of 3,645
Quote:

I feel 120610 has very strong ( sometime rough ) bass to mid, but thin high. 120618's bass drum and electric bass penetrate my body and I feel so good. It's high is not bad. Older build had beautiful cymbals. Can't have all. Maybe just my feeling. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #926 of 3,645
when i press to play a song from my large playlist (roughly 7000 songs) it take ages to go to the playing screen, it freezes the screen but the music plays, that is with the latest build: 18/06

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #927 of 3,645
Hello :)

During the last 2/3 days I've been trying to install Rockbox on my iPod Classic 160gb. Already asked for help on IRC of freemyipod/emcore and nobody answers me so I decided to come here.

I've tried in 3 different computers:
1 - Windows 7 - 64 bits - Framework 4.0 - iTunes
2 - Windows 7 - 32 bits - Framework 3.5 - no iTunes
3 - Windows XP - 32 bits - Framework 3.5 - no iTunes

For each one of them I tried to do exactly what was explained on their site and the UMSBoot volume doesnt open up! In fact I can see it on "Devices and Printers" and it even says "Working Properly" but it doesn't show up as volume on "My Computer". Already restored the iPod and it didn't change anything. That image saying something like "UMSBoot ... press button MENU+ SELECT to reboot...bla bla" does show on iPod; I suppose the drivers are well installed if this shows up right? Even though I tried to reinstall the drivers manually through Device Manager and it doesnt' work either.

I found someone with the same problem here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/465#post_8193277

"But you have to copy a file to the iPod when the UMS screen shows up.  How do you do this if Windows doesn't recognize the drive?"
"That's the step missing -> open the UMS drive.  It doesn't get recognized as a drive."
"I'm sure my Windows7 is no different from any one else's.  Everyone else doesn't have an issue with accessing the drive?  I'm really surprised to hear that."
"For those people that will come to this site and search for this same answer that nobody seems to be having an issue with, I found this post:
http://lists.freemyipod.org/pipermail/freemyipod/2011-March/000016.html

I will try to update the .NET service pack as well and see what happens."
"o updating .NET service pack was a red herring - but it's probably good to do anyways.  Here's what I finally had success with.  The computer I was using had the latest iTunes installed.  I tried a computer that didn't have iTunes installed at all.  It right away found the right Apple driver and recognized the UMSboot drive.  From there it was a snap.

Oh, btw, stupid iTunes.  Good riddance."
(by cozycozy)

Tried the same thing (updating .NET + computer with no iTunes) and it didn't work.

Any ideas?

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #928 of 3,645
Quote:
Hello :)

During the last 2/3 days I've been trying to install Rockbox on my iPod Classic 160gb. Already asked for help on IRC of freemyipod/emcore and nobody answers me so I decided to come here.

I've tried in 3 different computers:
1 - Windows 7 - 64 bits - Framework 4.0 - iTunes
2 - Windows 7 - 32 bits - Framework 3.5 - no iTunes
3 - Windows XP - 32 bits - Framework 3.5 - no iTunes

For each one of them I tried to do exactly what was explained on their site and the UMSBoot volume doesnt open up! In fact I can see it on "Devices and Printers" and it even says "Working Properly" but it doesn't show up as volume on "My Computer". Already restored the iPod and it didn't change anything. That image saying something like "UMSBoot ... press button MENU+ SELECT to reboot...bla bla" does show on iPod; I suppose the drivers are well installed if this shows up right? Even though I tried to reinstall the drivers manually through Device Manager and it doesnt' work either.

I found someone with the same problem here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/465#post_8193277

"But you have to copy a file to the iPod when the UMS screen shows up.  How do you do this if Windows doesn't recognize the drive?"
"That's the step missing -> open the UMS drive.  It doesn't get recognized as a drive."
"I'm sure my Windows7 is no different from any one else's.  Everyone else doesn't have an issue with accessing the drive?  I'm really surprised to hear that."
"For those people that will come to this site and search for this same answer that nobody seems to be having an issue with, I found this post:
http://lists.freemyipod.org/pipermail/freemyipod/2011-March/000016.html

I will try to update the .NET service pack as well and see what happens."
"o updating .NET service pack was a red herring - but it's probably good to do anyways.  Here's what I finally had success with.  The computer I was using had the latest iTunes installed.  I tried a computer that didn't have iTunes installed at all.  It right away found the right Apple driver and recognized the UMSboot drive.  From there it was a snap.

Oh, btw, stupid iTunes.  Good riddance."
(by cozycozy)

Tried the same thing (updating .NET + computer with no iTunes) and it didn't work.

Any ideas?

With your Classic connected to your computer, in Task Manager under Processes, click Show Processes from All Users. Then make sure that the all the specified iTunes services have been stopped.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #930 of 3,645
Quote:

Thank you for your answer :wink:
I'd done it already and it didn't change anything.

I had some of the same troubles over a year ago. When I was at the stage you're at, updating net framework to 3.5 with a service pack made all the difference.

I do recall I had to update my USB drivers on my XP machine before that, and had been told this:

> This sounds like the machines haven't seen any WDF drivers
> yet, so you would need the full driver package from
> http://files.freemyipod.org/misc/WinUSBXP.7z and not just
> the inf file.
>
> You need to extract that zip file to a different directory
> (or remove the winusb.inf file), otherwise Windows might
> choose the wrong inf file.

But that link at freemyipod is dead now. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can speak on this.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back