Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jun 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #902 of 3,645
you connect you ipod to pc and it's done, like a external hdd. As said with original firmware you will not be able to listen them, you need to pass through Itunes or similar software - same story if you want to download from your Ipod. With rockbox  what you drag and drop is ready for your ears, in any format. There are many posts with clear instructions, don't be lazy :)

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #903 of 3,645
Quote:
you connect you ipod to pc and it's done, like a external hdd. As said with original firmware you will not be able to listen them, you need to pass through Itunes or similar software - same story if you want to download from your Ipod. With rockbox  what you drag and drop is ready for your ears, in any format. There are many posts with clear instructions, don't be lazy :)

Thanks, I know it can be done.

Has anyone compared the SQ of the Classic to a Clip+ and/or a Sony DAP? 

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #904 of 3,645
So I was looking at the similarities and differences of Rockbox for the Video and the Classic. As it turns out, RB on the Video scales the cpu back to 30 MHz when idle.
With the scaling patches the Classic drops to 1/4th of the original max 216 MHz, so 54 MHz in idle. This got me thinking; would it be possible to scale back to 1/8th, so 27 MHz idle? If so, maybe even drop the core voltage a little? Let me know what you guys think!

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #905 of 3,645
Why should you do this? The classic with rockbox is scaled to 1/4 and core voltage dropped. My benchmark on classic gave me 36 Hours of continuos playback with a Beyer DT hp, new battery, first charge, mp3 (50%), flac(40%), ape(10%) - maybe better than OF, considering that flac and ape are bigger (more hdd accesses), its an excellent result. Mine is a 6th 160 gb

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #906 of 3,645
Heres a question that I think I know the answer to but would like confirming.

I've got a sansa clip plus that I have rockbox on.  However I have a lot of audiobooks that are in the .m4b format.   Rockbox on the clip doesn't play these for some reason (and I've tried a few).  Would a rockboxed classic be able to play these or is it an incompatiblity of the format with rockbox?

Cheers

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #907 of 3,645
I am trying to decide between the 4th gen iPod Touch and the Classic.  I already have iPhone 4, so I don't need all the apps.

After some reading and PMing, I'm getting conflicting information.  Please help to determine....

Fact or Fiction w/o RB:

1. Classic needs an amp, touch does not
2. Classic w/o RB sounds compressed.
3. More floor noise with Classic Vs. touch

I greatly appreciate those in the know to shed some truth.

Thank You

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #908 of 3,645
Classic sounds fine normal, better with rockbox, doesn't need an amp, is slightly better with one, depending on headphones.
Rockbox is good as it allows drag and drop, and has more sound settings

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #909 of 3,645
Quote:
Classic sounds fine normal, better with rockbox, doesn't need an amp, is slightly better with one, depending on headphones.
Rockbox is good as it allows drag and drop, and has more sound settings

The Touch also sounds better with amp, or it's mainly with the Classic?

I don't intend to get an amp, I'm now using Clip+ with ex1000, fx700 and um3x and the SQ is quite good. Looking for at least as good SQ but, with Classic, it is easier to see the music, albums and other larger info that the Clip+ lacks.   

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #910 of 3,645
Yes the touch will sound better with an amp too. I say get the classic for storage space, ruler flat frequency response, and rockbox it. Better than the clip+ in my opinion.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #912 of 3,645
Greetings all. Happy to find this forum, and specifically this conversation the other day.

I've been running Rockbox on a Classic ipod 6G (160GB) since last early last year. And for a long time, the stability wasn't so good. I was lucky to get a full hour out of it before a crashing stutter. Battery life awful. In fact, it was so bad that when I really needed the thing during my summer vacation last year that I actually reverted back to the original apple firmware.

However, the build from January (120101) with emCORE r859 was a BIG step up. Nice with only rare glitches. But, now I'm running this new 120610 with r866, and it's been awesome. Does sound really good. No bumps or buzzes so far. Thank you aroldan! And all the shoulders you stand on. I've been using Rockbox since I hauled around that Archos 6GB brick back in the early 2000's.

Every apple OS just bugs the crap out of me. And with this Rockbox release, It kinda feels like I finally OWN my ipod. And did I mention that the 10 band EQ is wonderful.

I always wondered if some of the problems I've had running rockbox has been that I keep the ipod full. Usually over thirty thousand songs at a time. And I have playlists with well over ten thousand songs. I've upped the "limits" accordingly. But any advice on how to get the best speed and performance with so many songs, I'd surely appreciate it.

All the best.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #913 of 3,645
Quote:
 And I have playlists with well over ten thousand songs.

blink.gif

o0(no offense intended....I just can't fathom a playlist that size)

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #914 of 3,645
o0(no offense intended....I just can't fathom a playlist that size)

I have a playlist that's 25'000 in size ... it's a dynamic playlist of all my music shuffled. That way I cycle through a good chunk of my music and surprise myself with some long forgotten gems.

Of course, the flip side is I sometimes have to skip about 30 tracks in a row to get to a genre of music I'm in the mood for at the time 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back