Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jun 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #871 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:

I name the album art files "Folder.jpg" which is the standard Foobar naming convention. It works great with all of my Rockbox themes so perhaps try that with a few albums.

I'll try that.  Thank god for Total Commander, I can just rename all of them across the board.  One more question, I know the album art that displays onscreen is always a particular size despite the size that the image actually is.  Is it bad to have generally large image files (800X800) in the album folders?  I find that the larger image sizes are less blurry.

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #872 of 3,645
Quote:

I'll try that.  Thank god for Total Commander, I can just rename all of them across the board.  One more question, I know the album art that displays onscreen is always a particular size despite the size that the image actually is.  Is it bad to have generally large image files (800X800) in the album folders?  I find that the larger image sizes are less blurry.

Mine are mostly 300x300 or larger. That's fine.

(A minority of images that work in Foobar still don't work in Rockbox. It seems to be a problem with wierd types of jpegs. Usually if I make a small change in Photoshop and save as a new file, that fixes it.)

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #874 of 3,645
For those who have problems connecting Ipod to pc: set rockbox to not charge during usb, connect Ipod only when it is turned on and with hold button switched off. Doing so my old fat classic is recognised in 1 or 2 seconds on all pc I have (xp,vista,ubuntu).
And yes, lion cells die after 5 years, doesn't matter if used or unused, when capacity decreasing the end is near :frowning2: and disassembling the classic is a pain

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #875 of 3,645
Thanks momom...I'll give that a shot.

I get better life with one of the older builds I have filed away, but I am accepting the inevitable :)...going to probably send it here:

http://www.ipodjuice.com/ipod-classic-battery-replacement-service.htm

They replace the battery and put a new back on the unit (almost good as new) for about $60. Save me buggering about trying to open the wretched thing.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #876 of 3,645
Quote:
Thanks momom...I'll give that a shot.

I get better life with one of the older builds I have filed away, but I am accepting the inevitable :)...going to probably send it here:

http://www.ipodjuice.com/ipod-classic-battery-replacement-service.htm

They replace the battery and put a new back on the unit (almost good as new) for about $60. Save me buggering about trying to open the wretched thing.

I'm not going to say it is easy but with this guide and a little patience you can save a lot of money:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPod-Classic-Battery/561/1#.T85nWMVZ49w

I believe those plastic tools are overrated, I've succesfully opened and fixed a few Classics already with just a metal spudger.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #877 of 3,645
Quote:

I'm not going to say it is easy but with this guide and a little patience you can save a lot of money:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPod-Classic-Battery/561/1#.T85nWMVZ49w

I believe those plastic tools are overrated, I've succesfully opened and fixed a few Classics already with just a metal spudger.

Haha...yes, I had a good long look at that a few weeks ago actually...I am going to think about it...not too sure though.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #878 of 3,645
I have been reading on here for a week or so now. And I have a problem. I have a 7th Classic Ipod with a 240gb hard drive on it. I built it myself. Anyway, I was able to rockbox it, and proceeded to fill it using Winamp. Somehow Winamp had an error, and shut down in the middle of the syncing process. After checking out the ipod. It seemed to work at first, but then it started glitching. And wouldn't update the database. So I decided to restore it with itunes, and start over. So here is my problem. When I follow the instructions from the freemyipod website. My ipod's screen turns black, but the computer wont read it, or show the usb program. Please help. I tried to get help from the website. But it was too much a pain to bother. Thanks.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #879 of 3,645
Quote:
For those who have problems connecting Ipod to pc: set rockbox to not charge during usb, connect Ipod only when it is turned on and with hold button switched off. Doing so my old fat
classic is recognised in 1 or 2 seconds on all pc I have (xp,vista,ubuntu).

I'll give the 'not charge during USB' setting a shot but i'm not hopeful.
before it is connected the Ipod is allways turned, unlocked, and i wait untill the drive spins down after boot, it's always worked on the past, suddenly it doesn't unless i roll back to the Emcore default Rockbox version. 
I'll check the "charge during USB" setting in the rockbox version that does work too.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #880 of 3,645
Quote:
I have been reading on here for a week or so now. And I have a problem. I have a 7th Classic Ipod with a 240gb hard drive on it. I built it myself. Anyway, I was able to rockbox it, and proceeded to fill it using Winamp. Somehow Winamp had an error, and shut down in the middle of the syncing process. After checking out the ipod. It seemed to work at first, but then it started glitching. And wouldn't update the database. So I decided to restore it with itunes, and start over. So here is my problem. When I follow the instructions from the freemyipod website. My ipod's screen turns black, but the computer wont read it, or show the usb program. Please help. I tried to get help from the website. But it was too much a pain to bother. Thanks.

Sounds like a knackered hard drive possibly.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #881 of 3,645
The hard drive is fine. I went back to itunes and it synced over 40k songs with no problem. It's when I try to put it in usb drive mode, to rockbox it I have problems. And I tried to run it in Winamp by itself. But it probably doesn't work because it is a 7th classic.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #882 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:

I am afraid that this is indeed a limitation of Rockbox.

(In the next couple of days I get me CLAS back from ALO with the firmware update for playing video. I will test again with the latest build of Rockbox but I do not expect any change in the above. I will report back.)

Official Apple accessories that use the digital out are required by Apple to crytographically verify the firmware on the player before initiating playback (mostly to prevent people from using them with android phones), so if its made to use the digital out, it will never work in anything but the ipod firmware.  

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #885 of 3,645
Okay guys I figured it out. Kind of by accident. lol I was used to the computer picking up the ipod after the screen goes black. But decided to run bootstrap when ipod wasn't being read, and voila!. I was able to get it to be a boot drive. Anyway will report back, if I am able to fill up the drive completely. Thanks for the replies. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back