Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #856 of 3,645
Quote:
Indeed, I think I am simply prolonging the pain by holding off on replacing the wretched thing...*sigh*

Well, I am here at the end of another day and I got similar performance...next up, trying the older builds on file...think I will go even further back than Aroldan's old favorite and try one I got from Castor, the guy who built the L-R patch...

Next it's back to the Death Star and re-installing iTunes and killing Rockbox. I am really, really hoping to avoid that dark, dark day.

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #857 of 3,645
Quote:
New build (a3406a8M-120529) at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_. Patches applied:
  1. 10 band EQ
  2. BatteryBoost
  3. ipod6g-charger-v1
  4. filesystem events: Add a new event to trigger on file access

Seems pretty fine now. Fast GUI response and good battery life. I'd appreciate feedback.

Aroldan, thank you so much for this!
I tested the build for two days now on two 1G Classics, very stable and responsive.
Also the little gain in batterylife is impressive, so I'm quite curious what this 'BatteryBoost' exactly does.
So again: nice work!

When the cache is filled with new songs the hdd spins for another 10 seconds which is not needed. Is it possible to make it shutdown directly after filling the cache? Or is this needed for some reason? I was wrong, this is exactly what this build does!

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #859 of 3,645
humm... my rockboxed classic suddenly refused to mount in windows,

2 different PCs, different USB ports etc. - It shows a drive letter and no more, or it locks the iPod and doesn't even mount the device.
It's been working fine for months.

I booted back to the Rockbox backup/recovery image in EMcore under tools, and after a delay of around 60 seconds it mounted first time.

Nothing but the Rockbox version has changed,  the version I was using -  135a333M-120501.

I've updated to a3406a8M-120529, and it still won't mount. - Same problems... I get a drive letter, but no drive/data/content.

If i reboot holding select+menu - into the EMcore menu, then boot the recovery version - it mounts first time every time.
so , i can copy music on/off in the recovery version, then boot back into the new build for general use - but there does seem to be some problem mounting the iPod under these firmwares in certain circumstances?

Any ideas?
Aroldan - do you want Logs or debug outputs?

Dan

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #864 of 3,645
Quote:
...and also with DAC like CLAS or Pure i20?

I can only say one thing: try it and share your experiences!
If other persons in this topic don't have the specific part of hardware/dock/dac/amp where questions are being asked about it's impossible to give an reliable answer.
Going back to Apples original firmware is always an option.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #865 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:

Rockbox will not work with iAP devices. This includes the Pure i20, Fostex HP-P1, CLAS, Wadia etc. This is because Rockbox does not have the capability to be in 'USB communication mode' with the iAP device and 'play mode' at the same time. It would be nice if the Rockbox guys could find a way to program around this but it may not be easy.

.. basically - if the dock is just a line-out adapter then it will work, the complete replacement DAC type wont work.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #866 of 3,645
Quote:
...and also with DAC like CLAS or Pure i20?

Not too sure about that...could be worth a shot, but this was discussed a few weeks back on this thread (I don't blame you for not wanting to wade through the pages and pages though...). The short of it was, Rockbox supports regular LOD behavior, but not digital out, which means no CLAS.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #868 of 3,645
Just got my iPod back with a new battery and immediately Rockboxed it.  Works great, except for the themes.  I have all of my album art named "cover.jpg", one image in each folder corresponding to each album.  The default theme displays the album art just fine, but the themes I download from Rockbox's site all say" no ID3 tags" where the album art should go.  I thought tagging didn't matter when you're organizing them by folder and have the album art in the folders.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #869 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:

Rockbox will not work with iAP devices. This includes the Pure i20, Fostex HP-P1, CLAS, Wadia etc. This is because Rockbox does not have the capability to be in 'USB communication mode' with the iAP device and 'play mode' at the same time. It would be nice if the Rockbox guys could find a way to program around this but it may not be easy.

.. basically - if the dock is just a line-out adapter then it will work, the complete replacement DAC type wont work.

I am afraid that this is indeed a limitation of Rockbox.

(In the next couple of days I get me CLAS back from ALO with the firmware update for playing video. I will test again with the latest build of Rockbox but I do not expect any change in the above. I will report back.)

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #870 of 3,645
Quote:
Just got my iPod back with a new battery and immediately Rockboxed it.  Works great, except for the themes.  I have all of my album art named "cover.jpg", one image in each folder corresponding to each album.  The default theme displays the album art just fine, but the themes I download from Rockbox's site all say" no ID3 tags" where the album art should go.  I thought tagging didn't matter when you're organizing them by folder and have the album art in the folders.

I name the album art files "Folder.jpg" which is the standard Foobar naming convention. It works great with all of my Rockbox themes so perhaps try that with a few albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back