Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 29, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #843 of 3,645
You're wellcome. I have to find out how to make it under emcore, but I think it would be very difficult as best choice firmware formats hdd as superfloppy - mhdd is nice but it's really annoying killing bad and contiguos sectors.
I'm checking Aroldan, at first boot it seems very responsive

May 29, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #844 of 3,645
New build (a3406a8M-120529) at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_. Patches applied:
  • 10 band EQ
  • BatteryBoost
  • ipod6g-charger-v1

• filesystem events: Add a new event to trigger on file access

Seems pretty fine now. Fast GUI response and good battery life. I'd appreciate feedback.

Sweet, looks awesome. Will try during school tomorrow, let's see if it manages to stay on 50% even after that :p

May 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #845 of 3,645
May 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #846 of 3,645
Quote:
New build (a3406a8M-120529) at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_. Patches applied:
  1. 10 band EQ
  2. BatteryBoost
  3. ipod6g-charger-v1
  4. filesystem events: Add a new event to trigger on file access

Seems pretty fine now. Fast GUI response and good battery life. I'd appreciate feedback.

So far, so good. It sound warm and powerful. I always enjoy your build and thank you again.
Mac can't see it. 

May 30, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #847 of 3,645
aroldan, I think that rockbox-ipod6g-a3406a8M-120529 is a winner. It is snappy and responsive.

The charging works well. I still have the strange underestimated battery percentage during charge. (I think that this is a bug inherent in the Classic's Rockbox code). However I can just plug the Classic in and leave it. It charges perfectly and stops when finished with the display showing the correct 100%.

Battery life also seems to be excellent. I tested playing two full albums which took it from about 98% to 92%. Lastly, while I am not certain that I can hear a difference between different builds (maybe if I could do a true A/B...), it certainly sounds excellent which is all that matters.

Great job. This is my new current install until you work more of your magic.  :)

Thanks!

May 30, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #848 of 3,645
I just tested it just now! It's great! faster response for sure.

I don't seem to hear any difference at all within all the builds. The sound should't vary as long as it's rockbox firmware IMO.

May 31, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #849 of 3,645
I agree the newest build is excellent, responsive and battery life is great.

Sound quality is excellent as always.

Thanks for all the effort put in to making rockbox work on the classic..

May 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #850 of 3,645
Quote:
I agree the newest build is excellent, responsive and battery life is great.
Sound quality is excellent as always.
Thanks for all the effort put in to making rockbox work on the classic..

Any estimates on the battery life? I might need to trade my J3 if it's decent...

May 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #852 of 3,645
Sadly my battery life is absolutely awful with it. Going to give it one more day, but I literally got 5 albums out of it before it was heading for empty. And that was on a full charge. If it doesn't improve today I am going to revert to the older builds we had that worked so well, and failing those, a *shudder* return to original firmware to see if its actually my venerable battery (my iPod is one of the the older, fatter 160GB, and I've abused the poor thing for 5 years now...). Not looking forward to original firmware. I hate iTunes with a driving passion.

May 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #854 of 3,645
Same here. Great build. Good battery life and runs smoothly. That's all I want 
normal_smile .gif
 Thank you Aroldan!

fleasbaby, after 5 years of abusive running on the original battery, it's perfectly normal for it to be already toasted. But they're quite cheap on Ebay, and it isn't very difficult to replace it, especially on the Classic. 

May 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #855 of 3,645
Quote:
Same here. Great build. Good battery life and runs smoothly. That's all I want 
normal_smile .gif
 Thank you Aroldan!

fleasbaby, after 5 years of abusive running on the original battery, it's perfectly normal for it to be already toasted. But they're quite cheap on Ebay, and it isn't very difficult to replace it, especially on the Classic. 

Indeed, I think I am simply prolonging the pain by holding off on replacing the wretched thing...*sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back