Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 15, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #811 of 3,645
Quote:

Thanks. So I'm not crazy. Well, at least not in relation to Rockbox.  :wink:

It is strange behaviour. However if it consistently jumps from 69% to 100% and then enters Fully Charged mode, I think that it is okay. I will keep monitoring this.

Do you by any chance have the 'thick'/'fat' iPod 160 GB? Because that one has a 850 mAh battery. Thinner iPods have a 580 mAh, and that's what Rockbox is also standard set to.
580 is ±69% of 850, so your problem might be over once you correct the capacity in: Settings -> General Settings -> System -> Battery -> Battery Capacity.

May 15, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #812 of 3,645
aroldan: Maybe it's just me, but with your '120514' build the disk somehow always becomes active for certain actions (when not neccesary). For example, in the WPS when I change volume the disk first starts (3 sec) before any volume changes happen.

Also, is it possible to let the hdd directly shutdown after the cache has been filled? Now it is spinning in idle for around 10 seconds after new songs have been loaded.

May 15, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #814 of 3,645
Quote:
Do you by any chance have the 'thick'/'fat' iPod 160 GB? Because that one has a 850 mAh battery. Thinner iPods have a 580 mAh, and that's what Rockbox is also standard set to.
580 is ±69% of 850, so your problem might be over once you correct the capacity in: Settings -> General Settings -> System -> Battery -> Battery Capacity.

I have the newest  thin 160GB Classic (7G) and Rockbox is has the battery capacity set to 580 mAh. So I think that 69% calculation is just an interesting coincidence.

May 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #817 of 3,645
Quote:
This states that the original battery in the latest iPod is 850 mAh…

Yes, even the battery estimation time patch is based on a 850 mAh battery.

Quote:
aroldan: Maybe it's just me, but with your '120514' build the disk somehow always becomes active for certain actions (when not neccesary). For example, in the WPS when I change volume the disk first starts (3 sec) before any volume changes happen.

Also, is it possible to let the hdd directly shutdown after the cache has been filled? Now it is spinning in idle for around 10 seconds after new songs have been loaded.

I'm noticing this too. I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

May 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #818 of 3,645
I liked 120505. However I tried clean-install ( 120511 ) and it sounds beautiful. Mac could see it twice after installation, but not any more. Updated to 120514 and I just love it. Very powerful and clear. Set battery at 850mAh now. Will see how it goes.

Aroldan, thank you.

May 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #819 of 3,645
Quote:
This states that the original battery in the latest iPod is 850 mAh…

If only this was accurate...

First, I would never take for granted the technical information on a rather anonymous website which brags about offering 10 years of guarantee for a battery. On a general note,  if you search the internet on the subject of iPod classic battery capacity, you'll get various results, depending on the mood of the person in charge of marketing the replacement. This is not what I would call a reference.

Second, packing 850mAh in a tiny battery as in the latest Classic is virtually impossible with today's mass market technology. If you've seen the battery in the Classic and are familiar with Li-Ion or Li-Pol technology you would quickly understand.

And third and most important, if you read carefully the linked page you'll see that the battery is advertised as a replacement for 6th generation. The battery for the 80 and 120 GB iPod (slim) has 580mAh, only the one for the 160GB iPod (which for 6G is thick) is said to be of 850mAh.

May 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #821 of 3,645
I've noticed some interesting issues with recent builds (120505 and 120511).  I suspect this might be down to what I'm doing, but it didn't happen with older builds.  I've been gradually putting albums on my my Rockboxed Ipod 6g 160gb (the "thick" one).  I have a Music folder on the ipod which is where I keep all my music files under artist folders.  I have another folder "New" for newly transferred albums. My practice is to drag and drop album folders from my Itunes library to the "New" folder on the ipod.  Typically I might copy 4-6 albums across at a time.  I then use Album Art Extractor for Rockbox 2.1 to create album art from the embedded album art (one bmp file per album folder).  Following that I use Mp3 tag to check that all tags are ok, get rid of any tags in the comment field, and get rid of the embedded album art.  I then transfer the new albums from the "New" folder to the correct artist folder in my "Music" folder on the ipod.  At this stage the "New" folder is empty.  I then disconnect the ipod, and manually update the database.  Once the drive has spun down I reboot the ipod.  At this point things go a bit haywire.  I get some sort of a panic screen with a lot of numbers which (sorry) I haven't got round to copying down (partly because the font is very small and I can't read them!).  I then have to reboot again and revert to last stable build (using the tools menu) - this I think is 120101.  This gets things going again.  However, when I try to play the newly transferred albums the album art flashes on and off, and the ipod skips quickly through the entire album without actually playing any tracks.  I do this for each new album which I've transferred before rebooting again.  At this point the latest build (120511) boots up, and everything plays ok.  As I say, this may be down to my workflow, but it didn't happen with older builds.  I'd be interested if anyone else has had this issue, or if anyone can see anything that I'm doing which may be causing this.  Because I'm only transferring a few albums at a time this is a nuisance rather than a real problem, but I'd just as soon not have to deal with it!

May 18, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #823 of 3,645
I have been reading few pages and i cant seem to find a average playback time... Anyone please mention this..
I mainly bought the a new ipod for the capacity and the running time but "iTunes" is really getting to my nerves..
If it possible to get a good playback time with rockbox i am up for it... Also please mention how i can revert back to stock firmware just in case in need to get it repaired or anything..

May 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #825 of 3,645
I switched the capacity and updated to the latest build (much respect to Aroldan for putting those out there so generously) on my 2007 160 GB Classic (the thicker iteration) and battery time was abominable. Trying to see which action caused the change.

Have changed the capacity back to 500 and kept the new build....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back