Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #661 of 3,645
Sounds normal to me.

What I occasionally experience is a crash/hick-up due to the large amount of data (flac) I copy to the IPOD HD. To prevent it from happening I limit the transfer rate.
Otherwise great sound, great OS for the IPOD!!!

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #662 of 3,645

Quote:
My computer too does take a good 20-30 seconds to recognize my rockboxed Classic 7G. So, I assume it's somewhat normal. Is it?

Quote:
Be aware that it takes a LOT of time for your computer to recognize and mount your Rockboxed IPOD (with or without emCORE).
It takes my laptop (ASUS i7 Quadcore, 8Gb) minutes to recognize my IPODS (5g Video and 7G)!
Just wait patiently, you'll see it will eventually show up!

Really? I turned on the iPod, entered Rockbox through emcore and let it load. After that, I connected it to my pc. I counted the time it took for my computer to recognize it as a disk, and it took 13 seconds. xD

Computer specs:
i7-2670M
nvidia gtx 570m 1,5gb
8gb ram DDRIII
1,5 harddrive

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #663 of 3,645
Some more details: FAT32, my 5G Video contains 7306 files, 4.7 GB free of 55.6, pretty crowded, that may make a difference...

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #664 of 3,645
Given all the trouble with rockboxing the classic, I am wondering why not get an ipod video, upgrade the HDD, rockbox the baby and call it a day!

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #665 of 3,645
Is there any information available on a comparison of sound-quality between the original IPOD firmware and Rockbox firmware??
Something like this.
I was unpleasantly surprised to read the 6G performed quite badly compared to the 'old' 5G
confused.gif

I sure hope Apple has improved the 7G.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #666 of 3,645

Quote:
Is there any information available on a comparison of sound-quality between the original IPOD firmware and Rockbox firmware??
Something like this.
I was unpleasantly surprised to read the 6G performed quite badly compared to the 'old' 5G
confused.gif

Performed bad? That's new to me! Could you post a link with the build you used on your Classic?

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #668 of 3,645

Quote:
Given all the trouble with rockboxing the classic, I am wondering why not get an ipod video, upgrade the HDD, rockbox the baby and call it a day!

For someone who doesn't have either the Video or the Classic, it may be a good option. But for someone who already has the Classic, it's a different story. I'm quite happy with Rockbox. At least for me, it runs flawlessly, apart from that delay when connecting with the computer. I'm not going to sell it just because of that 
normal_smile .gif

Besides, parts for the iPod Video, especially the hard drive, are not cheap. And I say this because one can only buy an iPod Video in used condition.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #669 of 3,645

Quote:

For someone who doesn't have either the Video or the Classic, it may be a good option. But for someone who already has the Classic, it's a different story. I'm quite happy with Rockbox. At least for me, it runs flawlessly, apart from that delay when connecting with the computer. I'm not going to sell it just because of that 
normal_smile%20.gif

Besides, parts for the iPod Video, especially the hard drive, are not cheap. And I say this because one can only buy an iPod Video in used condition.

I think you will probably save some money by selling the classic and getting the ipod video. I recently bought one off craiglist in good working condition for 30 bucks. You can buy a 120GB HDD for about $65 or $120 for the 240GB. Rockboxing the ipod video takes only a few minutes just that simple.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #670 of 3,645
Quote:
Something like this.
confused.gif

Yawn. people keep "discovering" that five year old article. Who is that guy? What else has he written? Trust your ears.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #671 of 3,645

Quote:

I think you will probably save some money by selling the classic and getting the ipod video. I recently bought one off craiglist in good working condition for 30 bucks. You can buy a 120GB HDD for about $65 or $120 for the 240GB. Rockboxing the ipod video takes only a few minutes just that simple.

I really wasn't aware that 240GB hard drives were that cheap 
confused_face.gif

But is it common to find iPod Video's for arround 30 bucks (the 30GB version, of course)? For those prices, yes. It really seems like a very good option.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #672 of 3,645
im very happy with rockbox on my 7G, it also runs flawlessly.

also the 5G heapdhone out has treble roll off, which is due to the circuitry. the 7G is a lot more accurate. the 6G is the worst i think.

i trust my ears, having a 5.5G a 6G and 7G i can test and say the 7G sound the cleanest and most neutral.

people like the 5G for its analogue sound, i prefer the analytical sound of the 7G

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #674 of 3,645
identify? 7G has genius playlists, and only comes in 160GB slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back