Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #646 of 3,645
Hey guys, sorry if this is a little off topic but I was wondering if there is a "big" (it's kinda relative I know) sound improvement from the stock Apple firmware to rockbox. I'm thinking buying a classic 7G and install rockbox and I'm coming from a SGS with Voodoo Sound but I have afraid to make a downgrade SQ wise 
frown.gif

TIA.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #647 of 3,645

Quote:
Hey guys, sorry if this is a little off topic but I was wondering if there is a "big" (it's kinda relative I know) sound improvement from the stock Apple firmware to rockbox. I'm thinking buying a classic 7G and install rockbox and I'm coming from a SGS with Voodoo Sound but I have afraid to make a downgrade SQ wise 
frown.gif

TIA.

From my experience it's a massive improvement. All music sounds more vivid, precise and crispy. If you own a decent headset/IEM you will surely hear the difference between stock and RB. Then again, I don't have experience with the SGS Voodoo, so I don't know what your expectations are.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #648 of 3,645

Quote:
From my experience it's a massive improvement. All music sounds more vivid, precise and crispy. If you own a decent headset/IEM you will surely hear the difference between stock and RB. Then again, I don't have experience with the SGS Voodoo, so I don't know what your expectations are.

Hmm... Is there really a difference in sound quality or is it just the improvement in EQ's that improves the sound experience? 

In other words, If I don't use any type of EQ in Rockbox, will I hear any difference?

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #649 of 3,645

Quote:
Hmm... Is there really a difference in sound quality or is it just the improvement in EQ's that improves the sound experience? 

In other words, If I don't use any type of EQ in Rockbox, will I hear any difference?

Yes, the codecs from RB are just better and newer. Of course you can adjust the EQ to your own demands, but still if you leave it neutral you can easily hear the improvement over the Apple's OF.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #650 of 3,645
I thought my iphone 4s was pretty good until the moment I plugged IE80 into my rockboxed ipod 5g - I was simply blown away by the sound difference.

Now the iphone simply does what it is good at - making phone calls.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #651 of 3,645
yeah the sound is a bit more refined and dynamic.  with the original i could always hear a kind of midrange 'glare' and no soundstage

im almost regretting buying that UHA-4 for my ER4s, i can just plug em in to the ipod and it sounds pretty decent!

and of course EQ to my heart's content 
devil_face.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #652 of 3,645
Thanks, I have the ER4s and it lacks soundstage...I'm hoping rockbox will help solve the issue. But to make a final commitment I really need an opinion with both SGS+Voodoo and the classic+rockbox...

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #653 of 3,645
Wonder if I can get some advise here. I tried to RB my 80GB classic, after reading the thread. But after I pressed n held the menu+select button till the screen remains black, nothing happeneds. I could not get into dfu mode.

What can be done?

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #655 of 3,645
Have you successfully stopped both processes as per the instructions?*  If you didn't find one, select "Show processes from all users" in the Task Manager. Then you will see it. 

*AppleMobileDeviceService.exe and iTunesHelper.exe

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #656 of 3,645
Hello!
(First post on a nerd topic :p - but been reading the forum for almost a year now).

Registered to tell my experience with the installation! It went swell! Everything went well! The emcore wiki is a perfect walkthrough.

When wanting to install other themes, I did experience through trial and error that the desktop utility yet doesn't have the classic listed and that picking nano 2nd generation as device and installing the nano 2nd generation themes using the desktop app and such works, but isn't ideal since the lay-out on screen is amiss (obviously) because the themes are not meant for the classic. So in case your rockbox version is really working etc.,installing ipod video themes should happen directly by merging the theme folders with the rockbox folder.
This isn't explicitly written on the rockbox website, and I was a first time rockbox user, so I made an in my eyes obvious mistake.

But, small misfortune, the most important thing is that the installation went well and the firmware worked. I was enjoying it greatly and trying out all features with say my ipod filled for 1/3 of its capacity.

I did hear a tremendous sound output difference. Since 4 months I had been listening with the fiio E7 and frankly I found the rockbox sound without it was as nice as the apple sound with it. i.e. no distortion/hiss/muddledness which is the case with the apple output.

The second day is another story, alas! Wanting to put more music on my pod, I had A LOT of trouble getting the ipod to show up on pc, i.e. the usb connection simply wasn't recognized at all and I had to disconnect and reset the ipod countless times.

Finally I got lucky by connecting - disconnecting it a lot (--> didn't find a solution/cause for the not connecting) and was able to fill it up. Upon disconnecting though it freezed after 5 seconds. Resetting over and over did not help, it kept freezing. I figured maybe the cause for the abnormal playback/freezing problem was in the ipod being filled to the brink, hence thought deleting some music would help, but I didn't have enough time to get into the menu and delete or the deleting didn't even start. Wiping **** on pc wasn't an option because the device still wasn't recognized on my pc, and the freezing problem put in an extra obstacle. I totally must have worn out the HD of the ipod by resetting it like 500 times, basically manhandling it.

So, I'm completely frustrated!!
I spent a weekend messing with it without result, probably ****ed up the HD and battery life up a bit etc.

Thus, my question is: does anybody else have this problem??? And any ideas for solving it?
What is causing it?
If you do not have this problem, are your pods then working flawlessly? For me it's hard to believe and then I feel completely out of luck and I was so happy the installation went well immediately (considering I had never experienced/used rockbox before) and I completely love the possiblities of the software. :frowning2:. Meh.

Thanks for reading and ciao!
Hope for a solution cause I really like what I heard and the drag and drop. :frowning2:

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #657 of 3,645
@deadandancing...

I had some teething troubles when rockboxing my 4 year old classic also, so had to reset and reinstall rockbox a number of times.  A question: - when you reset do you get the Boot Menu?  If you do, move the scroll wheel to the right and you'll get the tools option (spanner and screwdriver logo).  If you select that option you'll get a menu which gives you various further options including running a UMS Boot, and reformatting the data partition.  If you reformat the data partition all your music will be wiped, and you can then try reinstalling rockbox via UMS boot. 

Like you I have been enjoying the sound on my rockboxed classic - it's so much better than the standard Ipod classic sound.  Good luck!   

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #658 of 3,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadanddancing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..., I had A LOT of trouble getting the ipod to show up on pc, i.e. the usb connection simply wasn't recognized at all and I had to disconnect and reset the ipod countless times.

(..)  
Thus, my question is: does anybody else have this problem??? And any ideas for solving it?
What is causing it?
If you do not have this problem, are your pods then working flawlessly? For me it's hard to believe and then I feel completely out of luck and I was so happy the installation went well immediately (considering I had never experienced/used rockbox before) and I completely love the possiblities of the software. :frowning2:. Meh.

You could try it with the newest build of EmCORE, r862. Like the website says, use it at your own risk! But it has been perfect for me for the last two months. Get it here: http://builds.freemyipod.org/

You could also try a low level format of your harddisk with something like this: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
Helped for me once when a hdd was acting weird.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #659 of 3,645
Be aware that it takes a LOT of time for your computer to recognize and mount your Rockboxed IPOD (with or without emCORE).
It takes my laptop (ASUS i7 Quadcore, 8Gb) minutes to recognize my IPODS (5g Video and 7G)!
Just wait patiently, you'll see it will eventually show up!

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #660 of 3,645
My computer too does take a good 20-30 seconds to recognize my rockboxed Classic 7G. So, I assume it's somewhat normal. Is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back