Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #616 of 3,645

Quote:
Quote:

Try rebooting Rockbox and waiting until disc access is completely finished before reconnecting to your computer. That usually solves the recognition problem. 

I rebooted the iPod, booted Rockbox and let it load up completely. I connected it to my computer, the computer "recognized" it and let out that sound, but the iPod won't go into USB mode. Also, it freezed: I doesn't respond to anything, not even 'hold', although I can hard reset it.. :frowning2:
Thanks for the advice, though! ^^
Edit: After a few minutes, the disk finally showed up on my computer, but I can't access it/it doesn't respond.. The iPod still hasn't entered USB mode. Very strange..

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #619 of 3,645
It isnt automatically set, it just gives you an initially correct reading. Otherwise you might be chilling on 10% battery for 12 hours. It doesnt matter either way because if you let your battery run completely out, the battery stats are collected and analyzed and accurately represented from that point onwards.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #620 of 3,645

Quote:
It isnt automatically set, it just gives you an initially correct reading. Otherwise you might be chilling on 10% battery for 12 hours. It doesnt matter either way because if you let your battery run completely out, the battery stats are collected and analyzed and accurately represented from that point onwards.

I've never let my battery completely run out.. What should my Black iPod Classic 80gb be set on?

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #621 of 3,645
I think the indication of the battery status is a theoretical number based on the mAh you choose (or by default) for the battery setting. The actual strength of the battery is much less than what indicated.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #622 of 3,645
hey all,

first off: after denying my parent's professions all my life (computer engineers), it has all come full circle for me: learning to software develop, hardware hack and otherwise DIY is as close to gaining magic powers as one can get these days- glad to see so much support every where i turn! 

shrimants: followed your explanation of the distinct iPod playback modes, thanks for all your continued insight, essentially rockbox will not emulate ipod firmware in order to achieve true digital pass through. until dual boot is possible to fool receiver, client-mode is not possible. just wanted to confirm that this is also true of car headunits like this:

JVC KD-R530

iPod DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 98dB. The JVC head unit supports audio playback of music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps stored on your iPod or iPhone.

obviously the objective here is to bypass iPod DAC, which is seemingly possible here but only for supported MP3/WMA lossy formats >_<.... playing FLAC off my old iPod classic is exciting for sure, but I can already do so off my Android device albeit limited at 41.1 kHz/16bit  (I think I read few pages back iPod classic could deliver 24bit?). as far as i can tell, there isn't another method of lossless playback short of endlessly converting... or CD burning!!! 
tongue.gif
  that being said, i have 2 Apple devices to test: iPod classic 80gb rockbox'd  vs.  iPod Touch using music app capable of lossless playback. 

does anyone have any experience with DAC bypass claims? i'd believe it for iTunes supported lossy formats, but perhaps home media server streaming uncompressed 24bit to an app? im skeptical. 

FYI, USB host mode on B&N Nook Color has reportedly supported digital audio output to external DAC, could be last resort before expensive upgrade i have been staving off haha. thanks for any input! 

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #624 of 3,645
I found the new patches by Castor (hold switch detection using GPIO & click wheel controller powersave) to have a negative impact on the batterylife compared to the build by user890104 posted on page 29. What do you guys think? Same experience?

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #625 of 3,645
hey all,

first off: after denying my parent's professions all my life (computer engineers), it has all come full circle for me: learning to software develop, hardware hack and otherwise DIY is as close to gaining magic powers as one can get these days- glad to see so much support every where i turn! 

shrimants: followed your explanation of the distinct iPod playback modes, thanks for all your continued insight, essentially rockbox will not emulate ipod firmware in order to achieve true digital pass through. until dual boot is possible to fool receiver, client-mode is not possible. just wanted to confirm that this is also true of car headunits like this:

JVC KD-R530

iPod DAC Bypass:
 The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 98dB. The JVC head unit supports audio playback of music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps stored on your iPod or iPhone.

obviously the objective here is to bypass iPod DAC, which is seemingly possible here but only for supported MP3/WMA lossy formats >_<.... playing FLAC off my old iPod classic is exciting for sure, but I can already do so off my Android device albeit limited at 41.1 kHz/16bit  (I think I read few pages back iPod classic could deliver 24bit?). as far as i can tell, there isn't another method of lossless playback short of endlessly converting... or CD burning!!! :p   that being said, i have 2 Apple devices to test: iPod classic 80gb rockbox'd  vs.  iPod Touch using music app capable of lossless playback. 

does anyone have any experience with DAC bypass claims? i'd believe it for iTunes supported lossy formats, but perhaps home media server streaming uncompressed 24bit to an app? im skeptical. 

FYI, USB host mode on B&N Nook Color has reportedly supported digital audio output to external DAC, could be last resort before expensive upgrade i have been staving off haha. thanks for any input! 

This depends largely on the reciever. If you have a reciever that uses a hard drive or SSD to store music and use its own firmware player (a la some fancy vans nowadays) then you are probably in good hands. It would recognize the ipod as a regular USB drive or hard drive in disk mode and be able to search for and transfer over any supported music files and sort through it by tag on said files. Again, this is assuming a hard drive based "smart" head unit that supports the proper formats.

Chances are though that JVC is going to transfer single files at a time and hold them in a buffer to convert to analog and play them.

Here is something to think about though. Ipod by itself has an excellent DAC built in. Using something like the 10 dollar Fiio L3 or Fiio L9, it is possible to use the LOD to bypass the ipod's amp only and get pretty much perfectly linear output from the ipod. This could plug into your JVC auxilliary input directly or it could go to an amp first and then plug into the JVC input. You wont get the added satisfaction of seeing what song is playing scroll across your head unit, but if you are driving your eyes should be on the road anyways and you will be getting 100% of the benefits of both rockbox and a nice DAC going this route. Bypassing the ipod's DAC is a very highly touted feature that honestly is fairly useless unless you NEED line level voltages or something. And even that can be remedied with an amp, and in a car I think THD and amplification of noise floor is something you should not be worried about considering the noise floor is monstrously high in a moving vehicle anyways.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #626 of 3,645

Quote:
This depends largely on the reciever. If you have a reciever that uses a hard drive or SSD to store music and use its own firmware player (a la some fancy vans nowadays) then you are probably in good hands. It would recognize the ipod as a regular USB drive or hard drive in disk mode and be able to search for and transfer over any supported music files and sort through it by tag on said files. Again, this is assuming a hard drive based "smart" head unit that supports the proper formats.
Chances are though that JVC is going to transfer single files at a time and hold them in a buffer to convert to analog and play them.
Here is something to think about though. Ipod by itself has an excellent DAC built in. Using something like the 10 dollar Fiio L3 or Fiio L9, it is possible to use the LOD to bypass the ipod's amp only and get pretty much perfectly linear output from the ipod. This could plug into your JVC auxilliary input directly or it could go to an amp first and then plug into the JVC input. You wont get the added satisfaction of seeing what song is playing scroll across your head unit, but if you are driving your eyes should be on the road anyways and you will be getting 100% of the benefits of both rockbox and a nice DAC going this route. Bypassing the ipod's DAC is a very highly touted feature that honestly is fairly useless unless you NEED line level voltages or something. And even that can be remedied with an amp, and in a car I think THD and amplification of noise floor is something you should not be worried about considering the noise floor is monstrously high in a moving vehicle anyways.

thanks for the response. i soon after my post took a drive and tested out ipod classic with rockbox > aux input and suffice to say the sound quality and clarity vs my Droid phone, and in fact even CD playback of head unit, was drastically improved. after a little research, discovered iPod classic is equipped with most likely Wolfson DAC but conflicting reports say it could be Cirrus Logic. at any rate, leads me to believe that DAC in this iPod might be superior to JVC head-unit anyway lol though have not been able to discover DAC for this unit.

?s:
- safe to assume 80 & 160 models share the same chipset? may pick up larger model if right price comes by! 
- any difference in audio quality, aside from better amping, in LOD vs analog? im assuming that by using a different signal path LOD also bypasses any lower quality components that may be altering source audio?

thanks!

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #627 of 3,645
I moved from iphone 4s to rockboxed ipod video 5g and can never look back. The SQ improvement is day and night in terms of 3D imaging. After listening to the RB's ipod video, the iphone 4s sounds like no depth for the sound stage (very flat). Now it becomes my hobby collecting the ipod 5g/5.5g - already have two and more coming I promise. I want to put big HDD's in these ipods and use them as backup for my music. With RB, you can drag and drop files from pod to pod. I tested the transfer speed and it took about 90 mins to copy 20 GB from pod to pod.

I like flat (no EQ's), natural and non-colored sound for my music and the RB'd ipod video seem to serve me very nicely.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #629 of 3,645
I've put together another build here, sync'd with the latest Rockbox release (3.11). Latest Castor patches are already included. Other patches applied are: 
  1. 10bands_eq.2.patch
  2. ipod6g_charger-v1.patch
  3. ipod6g_max_vol_cap.patch

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #630 of 3,645
@aroldan

Can you suggest me a way as to how to do away with the max_vol_cap patch from your build? Means I like your builds but that max_vol_cap.patch.

Will highly appreciate if you can help me on this since you seemed more knowledgeable in these..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back