Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #602 of 3,645
I have to agree so much with the two previous posts. I rockboxed my iPod Classic 80GB, Black, a few weeks ago.. At first, I was hesitating and wanted to switch back due to the frequent crashes.. But, after stumbling upon this thread, I've tried out some of your builds, and all I can really say is: Thank you.

I really, really appreciate your work, guys! I can use my headphones like they were meant to be, full EQ settings, and EXCELLENT battery time. Even though it's around 4 years old, it's still going on great. And no crashes since I used your builds in previous posts! I can also point out that I've been converting a few movies to MPEG-1 (or MPEG-2) and watched them on my iPod, works just as good as with the original iPod software.

Thank you! :D

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #603 of 3,645
Yes, I am finding the latest build to be crash-free and to have good battery life. I am very pleased.

The one bug that I have identified is that if I go into "System>Rockbox Info", it does not provide an estimate of remaining battery life. The percentage is fine but my time always reads: "0h-1m". This feature used to work on my Rockboxed iMod.

Not a biggie.  :) 

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #604 of 3,645
Have to say a HUGE thank you to the guys here putting the effort in on the Ipod classic rockbox port.

Ive been a long term rockbox user, my old player is an Rockboxed Iriver h340 but i wanted something with a bit more space...  and made the mistake of buying a 160gb ipod classic.

The original firmware was shockingly unhelpful, underpowered and uninspiring.. and as for iTunes....well! whats left to say!  it was such a pain copying new music to the thing that i rarely did.

I now use my 160gb Classic every day. No iTunes! drag and drop usb! no volume limiter!

I LOVE my iPod now..

Thank you SO SO SO much!

I'm getting great battery life too.. 20 hours playing  FLAC > Rockbox'd iPod - Cross Feed > FiiiO LOD > FiiO E5 amp > AIAIAI TMA-1.

Thanks folks.. Really!

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #605 of 3,645
I plan on purchasing a 240gb Classic off ebay soon, but I'm unsure if I should get the 5.5G or 7G. I've read some people say the 5.5 has better sound quality while others say the 7 has better sound quality. I was going to get the 5.5 because I saw it was compatible with Rockbox but from what I understand in this thread, Rockbox can now be used on 7G using something called EmCore, is that correct? Does anyone have a recommendation of which ipod I should get, the 5.5 or 7? Is rockbox stable on the classic 7G and is the sound quality on the 7G as good as the sound quality on the 5.5G? I'm leaning towards the 5.5 now, but can't help but wonder if the 7G might have better technology/features.
Any advice would be very much appreciated!! 

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #606 of 3,645
I can't really comment on the sound quality difference between the 5.5 and the 7, but I've been using rockbox on my 7G for some time now and the newer builds are very stable for me.  To get Rockbox setup you'd want to start visiting http://www.freemyipod.org.  Once emCORE is installed I'd suggested using one of the recent builds listed in this thread (the one supplied with emCORE is going to be fairly old).

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #607 of 3,645
If you compare the 5.5G with the 7G or newer generation IPOD's(new models have a similar sound signature) then the newer ones sound better. The 5.5G sounds warmer but muddier as well. The best part about the 5G/5.5G is doing a diymod(replacing the crappy internal caps in the signal path) and running a headphone amp off of the Line Out, it sounds better than my Iphone 4S using the Line out but its close. If you're not into modding then I think the 7G is the better choice with better clarity and better line out compared to a stock 5.5G. Also, the headphone out of 7G is a big step up from the 5.5G.
The other thing with the 5.5G is that they are only available used and you will likely need to change the battery as well.

Quote:
I plan on purchasing a 240gb Classic off ebay soon, but I'm unsure if I should get the 5.5G or 7G. I've read some people say the 5.5 has better sound quality while others say the 7 has better sound quality. I was going to get the 5.5 because I saw it was compatible with Rockbox but from what I understand in this thread, Rockbox can now be used on 7G using something called EmCore, is that correct? Does anyone have a recommendation of which ipod I should get, the 5.5 or 7? Is rockbox stable on the classic 7G and is the sound quality on the 7G as good as the sound quality on the 5.5G? I'm leaning towards the 5.5 now, but can't help but wonder if the 7G might have better technology/features.
Any advice would be very much appreciated!! 

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #608 of 3,645
So basically, if you are into DIY stuff and never ever see a use for stock headphone out, go 5.5g. Otherwise go 7g because overall it is better designed.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #609 of 3,645
Alright.. I've finally stumbled upon a "small" problem, I really hope guys could help me with this.

My brother has a White Ipod Classic 120gb.. So I decided to rockbox that one, too. Everything went fine until I was about to transfer files; after transfering about 2gb worth of music, the transfer rate would drop to.. well, nothing? It also sounds like the harddrive kinda turns off/stops responding..

I thought that this might have been something small, so I restored it using Itunes and rockboxed it again, but same thing. I don't think that it's the ipod's harddrive since transfering files -before- it reaches around a few gb makes it drop like that..

Another guy on the rockbox forums also had the exact same problem, but that was over 6 months ago, also, nobody ever replied.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions! ^^

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #610 of 3,645
Chances are, your ipod is automatically shutting down or something. Fiddle around with the rockbox settings and make sure things like "adapter mode" and "sleep" are turned off. Mine worked fine out of the box. You might want to get the latest version of EMCORE and the latest .rockbox from this thread, its only a couple pages back iirc. during transfer, keep fiddling with the scroll wheel to keep the ipod awake.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #612 of 3,645
I certainly hope not. I dont see how it is difficult to NOT pull the cable out while the thing is flashing. Besides, even if you get horrible issues with the firmware and stuff, the disk mode is built into the ROM, which by definition cant be destroyed. No matter what you will always be able to get back to square 1 by booting into disk/recovery mode and restoring with itunes. Theres stock ipod firmware, disk mode, and a specific recovery mode that the ipod can be in. That specific recovery mode is what i'm refering to in this post.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #613 of 3,645
^thanks...I forgot about restoring through itunes
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #614 of 3,645

Quote:
I certainly hope not. I dont see how it is difficult to NOT pull the cable out while the thing is flashing. Besides, even if you get horrible issues with the firmware and stuff, the disk mode is built into the ROM, which by definition cant be destroyed. No matter what you will always be able to get back to square 1 by booting into disk/recovery mode and restoring with itunes. Theres stock ipod firmware, disk mode, and a specific recovery mode that the ipod can be in. That specific recovery mode is what i'm refering to in this post.

Hm, strange.. I was about to try your suggestions, but now my computer won't recognize it.. As a disk, that is. It still makes those sounds whenever I pull the cable off, but I can't see the actual drive itself, or make a safe eject.. The ipod goes into USB mode, though. Thanks for your help so far, ^^

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #615 of 3,645
Quote:
Hm, strange.. I was about to try your suggestions, but now my computer won't recognize it.. As a disk, that is. It still makes those sounds whenever I pull the cable off, but I can't see the actual drive itself, or make a safe eject.. The ipod goes into USB mode, though. Thanks for your help so far, ^^

Try rebooting Rockbox and waiting until disc access is completely finished before reconnecting to your computer. That usually solves the recognition problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back