Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #451 of 3,645

Quote:
Thank you very much, kind poster.
I'll give it a go again. :)

So in order for me to have the latest and greatest release, I'll have to use the links on the quoted post below me, right?

The links in the post you quoted only show each of the patches from that build.

The first link you need is indeed this one:
http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation

When you get to the point where the guide says to download the 'rockbox-ipodclassic.zip', you don't click that link but use this one:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26417574/rockbox_builds/rockbox-ipod6g-d8fd988M-120222-with_patches.zip
Same instructions, extract contents from zip-file to the root directory of your ipod.

After that you can optionally download a font-pack from the Rockbox website. Even more fun, most of the themes for the 'iPod Video' work on my Classic. You can also download those at rockbox.org. I like Ultima so far because it's simple and exactly shows me all the info I want to see on the 'while playing screen'.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #452 of 3,645

Quote:
[...]

1. Does the iPod Freezing still constantly happen or is it less occurring now? This is the most important to me since I usually have my iPod hooked up to speakers and having my iPod freeze after 30 minutes and begin stuttering like a scratched CD is the major reason I stopped using Rockbox.

Mine have freezed once or twice in a couple of months (4-5+) of usage. 

2. Is Video Playback supported? This is somewhat  important as I usually watch a TV episode of the Office and then go to sleep. I mean, I could watch it on my computer and then fall asleep, but I would prefer laying down and watching it.

Video playback is suppored. Unfortunately, MPEG1/2 only. You can use WinFF (with settings for: rockbox -> ipod video) to convert your movies/episodes, or some ffmpeg command-line. Here's what I'm using:
ffmpeg -i input.avi -vf "scale=320:-1" -vcodec mpeg2video -b:v 500k -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k -y output.mpg

3. Last.FM scrobbling. Is it supported now? Not important at all, but would be nice if it worked now.

If other rockbox builds support it, there's no reason for not supporting it on the Classics.

I don't really care if the themes work or not; I like having simple things.

All iPod Video themes (320x240 screen size) should fit nicely in a Classic's screen.

I'm not expecting perfection or anything like that, but I just want to know more about this newer release. Thanks. :)

It's basicly the current state of the rockbox most recent development (trunk/head) source code, with some patches that I listed above included in it.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #453 of 3,645
I'm running the latest build that user890104 posted.  Everything works smoothly and battery life has increased from the stock build on freemyipod.  However, I cannot get shortcuts to work.
Rundown on shortcuts: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipod3g/rockbox-buildch5.html#x8-980005.12

I have a shortcuts.txt file which consists of one shortcut to shutdown rockbox.  When I navigate to the shortcut menu, I cannot see any entries.  However, pressing the select button while in the shortcuts menu, my ipod shuts down.

I think that the entries are not displayed, but still selectable and usable.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #455 of 3,645
installed succesfully, went smoothly.

will give it a little time and then see if i like it or not.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #456 of 3,645
so far im liking it, just a bit fiddly to get used too, not simple like original firmware, but the advantages outweigh the easier to use original firmware i think.

Anyone know any nice themes that work on 7G classic, link them? Thanks

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #457 of 3,645
also lack of shuffle all is kinda annoying, but i just have to stick all my tracks in a playlist...

Any chance they could develop a shuffle all option?

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #458 of 3,645
Couple of queries guys.. 
How do find the battery life and music quality compared to stock firmware after rockboxed..
How do you transfer music to ipod ? Drag and drop or through itunes? 
Currently have sansa clip .. had it rockboxed but din't find any difference IMO.. 
Looking for DAP now that hold a lot of music.. Would prefer Ipod classic but really dont like iTunes..  

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #459 of 3,645
sq i cant comment yet, also you just drag and drop files yes.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #460 of 3,645
Thank you very much, User89.
You're help is appeciated. :)

Quote:
so far im liking it, just a bit fiddly to get used too, not simple like original firmware, but the advantages outweigh the easier to use original firmware i think.
Anyone know any nice themes that work on 7G classic, link them? Thanks

It does take some time to get used too, but like you said, the pros outweigh the cons.
I'm not a big fan of themes, but this is the one I love using because its so simple: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=946&target=ipodvideo

You can download different ones, change the background with photoshop or any other image editing program and customize it to your liking. You can save your custom theme options by going to Settings> Manage Settings > Save Theme Settings.

Quote:
also lack of shuffle all is kinda annoying, but i just have to stick all my tracks in a playlist...
Any chance they could develop a shuffle all option?

Yeah, there should be an auto-shuffle and play option like the original ipod firmware.
An alternative is to go to Database > Tracks. Play the first track and then hold menu and choose shuffle. Long process but it'll do for now.

Quote:
Couple of queries guys.. 
How do find the battery life and music quality compared to stock firmware after rockboxed..
How do you transfer music to ipod ? Drag and drop or through itunes? 
Currently have sansa clip .. had it rockboxed but din't find any difference IMO.. 
Looking for DAP now that hold a lot of music.. Would prefer Ipod classic but really dont like iTunes..  

You can run battery benchmarks or just change the option to display the percentage of the battery instead of an icon.
You can transfer music by dragging & dropping.

If you get a iPod Classic, you don't have to use iTunes to sync music to it. You can use Winamp. That's what I use to use.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #461 of 3,645
I am putting my 120G ipod 's life on the line tonight! :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #462 of 3,645
i did it to my 160gb that ive only had since september... (i was blo#dy nervous) it went fine :)

also, im using the theme from above, its great, simple and shows what i need, thanks.

regards

im loving it atm, its so much easier to drag and drop.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #463 of 3,645
I'm new to this RockBox thing and was trying to follow the instructions.  I didn't it make it very far.  I read through all the pages of this forum to find out the answer and several people have asked the exact same question but all people say is " Read the instructions".  This is very frustrating because I have read the instructions!!!

Problem:
I have the 2007 160GB iPod.  I have disabled the services on Windows7.  I have pressed the 2 buttons on the iPod and have it turn off.  I have the UMS boot message on the iPod.  But...I get an error message on Windows that the device is not accessible and it does not show up as a mounted drive.  What is the answer to this issue?  And don't say "read the instructions".

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #464 of 3,645
Hello I am a first time poster on this site and I just had one question. I did some research but couldn't find an answer.

I recently used this thread to install RockBox on my iPod Classic 160GB thin with castors updates and fixes and I'm really enjoying it. My only issue is, I just recieved my Sennheiser IE 8i IEMs and couldn't help but notice that the inline iPod control doesn't work due to the RockBox firmware. I was wondering if there was a plugin or a patch that could fix this issue.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for helping me through a lot of questions and issues I ran into.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #465 of 3,645
Just rockboxed my ipod 120G. Yeah it crushes sometimes..bt damn. It sounds so much better. and the EQ function is really useful! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back