Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #46 of 3,645

Quote:
That will be 1gen classic because 5.gen is iPod Video

Quote:
Okay, what gen. do the Rockbox team refer to the ones we call classic 6 gen.?

Quote:
It's kind of a muddle, because people talk about 6G and 7G Classics, despite there being 3 revisions (1G, 2G, 3G, as in my earlier post).

As an attempt to answer your question, this is how the RB team do it: all iPod Classics are 6Gs, often referred to only as the "iPod Classic", since the "Classic" name is distinct from the earlier 1G-5.5G models.  There's then a further subdivide into 1G, 2G and 3G.

I believe the 7G term has never been used officially by Apple to describe any kind of iPod Classic, but was widely adopted after one of the Classic refreshes (probably the 1G -> 2G refresh, since there was actually a visible, external difference - the size).  Again, I believe Apple refer to all Classics as "6G" models, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I should point out that for all intents and purposes, none of this matters.  If you have a chubby iPod Classic you might have to wait a little longer for a stable release, is all.

... =\
Well, the older 160GB ipod and the 5 gen. ipod video are the chubbier ones, right?
Mine's a slimmer 120GB, so I assumed it is 2 gen.
My dad's a slim 80GB, looks identical to mine unlike my sister's (5 gen. ipod video 80GB).
So my dad has the 1 gen. and mine's the 2 gen.?
Very Legal says mine is 1st gen.  So which is it?  I confuz =(
I thought mine and my dad's came out around the same time, they seem to be called 6 gen. collectively around here.

Well, my point was meaningless anyway, lol.

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #48 of 3,645

Quote:
Here are the iPod gen. list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iPod_models

There's at least one error on that page.....there was never a 160GB iPod Video (5th gen 5.5 gen).

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #49 of 3,645

Quote:
Quote:

There's at least one error on that page.....there was never a 160GB iPod Video (5th gen 5.5 gen).

I read people saying that that "non-existent" 160GB ipod video had poorer sound quality.  They also complained about it being buggy, I think.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #50 of 3,645

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I read people saying that that "non-existent" 160GB ipod video had poorer sound quality.  They also complained about it being buggy, I think.

They would be referring to the 6th-gen, what was known as the first "Classic".....it sounded worse than the current 160GB model, and it was known as being buggy. iPod Video never made it past 80GB.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #51 of 3,645
Jan 13, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #52 of 3,645

Quote:
... =\
Well, the older 160GB ipod and the 5 gen. ipod video are the chubbier ones, right?
Mine's a slimmer 120GB, so I assumed it is 2 gen.
My dad's a slim 80GB, looks identical to mine unlike my sister's (5 gen. ipod video 80GB).
So my dad has the 1 gen. and mine's the 2 gen.?
Very Legal says mine is 1st gen.  So which is it?  I confuz =(
I thought mine and my dad's came out around the same time, they seem to be called 6 gen. collectively around here.

Well, my point was meaningless anyway, lol.

Correct on all counts!  5Gs were slightly thicker, and obviously look quite different; the older Classic 160GB is chubby, yes; if yours is 120GB it's 2G; if your dad's is 80GB it's 1G. 

The gap between 80GB/160GB and 120GB only might have been quite small, especially given the 160GB was known to be buggy; perhaps that's why they're both just called 6G on here?  I know I got my 120 not that long after the first Classics came out, but I can't remember exactly how long after...

Anyway, yeah, unless you have a fat[ter] 160GB it matters not :D.

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #55 of 3,645
Cheapest digital out yet PURE i-20 $100 bucks. There is light at the end of the tunnel

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #56 of 3,645
YES! I'M SO EXCITED!

*Waits at desk, hands clasped, peaceful smile, contented soul, calm mind.*

Two years later:

Excitement: Never faded!
Patience: Intact!
Hands: Numb from refreshing!
Mind: Imagining the possibilities!

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #58 of 3,645

Quote:
Cheapest digital out yet PURE i-20 $100 bucks. There is light at the end of the tunnel

Yeah, but circuit design and a really good power supply matter a lot or else it sucks harder than any decent <$100 transport.  =\
Might as well stick to ipod + portable amp in that case.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #59 of 3,645
This might make iPods useful as music players instead of paper weights...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back