Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 3,645
Seems like there is an unstabile version for the 120gb out already see first post. The 160gb version will soon be realeased
normal_smile .gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #18 of 3,645
Hmm...

At this rate apple might actually get some of my money, and through no fault of their own I might add...

This will be quite useful since my 8 month old D2+ might go at any time.  I was just about to cue up some Dream Theater and go to bed but the damn thing wouldn't turn on and neither my netbook or desktop would recognize it.  I tried the reset button but it sheared straight off the PCB!  I had to open it up (at least it actually has screws (maybe I won't buy an ipod after all...)) and bridge the contacts with a screwdriver.

Its working now, but opening it up to get to the reset switch isn't exactly a long term solution.  After a few more times something is going to break.  This was the first time I remember needing to use the reset button which is good, but I'm going to have to get another tiny (and easily lost) screwdriver to carry around with me in case it needs resetting in the field, which is bad (or at least annoying).

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #19 of 3,645
This is definitely good news. Another reason to get an ipod classic......
beerchug.gif

Well I'm broke now. Not now.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #21 of 3,645
Ohhhh, this is awesome news.  My 120 has been semi-retired since it started randomly skipping to the next track if I didn't set the backlight to always on, and so now the battery life sucks.  Looks like I don't need to keep waiting for a 100GB+ flash-based alternative to hit the market after all :D.

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #22 of 3,645
Awaiting a stable version for 6g classic. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #23 of 3,645

Quote:
To someone with the latest generation classic 160G (Purchased toward the end of 2010) who has no idea what this means.. What does it mean? Will this improve the sound and if so why?
I use apple lossless at the moment, what advantage would flac be?
I always thought it was the chip that made the difference, if so how can software like rockbox improve the sound?

I have searched but a lot of what I have read assumes the reader is knowledgeable about such things!

To the complete imbicile who knows nothing can someone please explain why this is such a good thing!

Thanks in advance.

Bump. Will it actually improve SQ? I'm also in the same boat, 120Gig classic collecting dust.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #24 of 3,645

The EQ will be fully customizable, so it will allow you to do what we've all dreamed of - have full control over the sound of the iPod classic,...yes is your answer.

PS: Read - Rockbox
Quote:

Bump. Will it actually improve SQ? I'm also in the same boat, 120Gig classic collecting dust.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 3,645
It does a better job with EQ than the Classic firmware so in that one way it can provide an improvement. However sound quality is otherwise hardware based. So for someone like me who does not use EQ, there is no improvement in sound quality. (If you read the Rockbox web site, they confirm this.)

Rockbox is about features and customization.

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #30 of 3,645
   You can drag & drop to iPods with other software, such as SharePod. I think there's a few others as well. That gets rid of the biggest issue I have with using iPods and doesn't require anything complicated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back