Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 21, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #3,601 of 3,645
I have the latest build and now my ipod mounts every time with no issue but none of the newer themes work at all now, they only show black for the playback screen with the vu meter bar across it. Is there a fix for this as the stock Cabbie theme really is harder for me to read then say CabbieV7B.

This is an example of a theme that has nothing for the playback screen correctly: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2568&target=ipod6g

Thanks for all the hard work on the project regardless.

Malcolm

Could it be that you somehow lost some fonts when upgrading? Missing fonts would cause any theme that uses other than the very basic ones to fail like that.

Maybe install/reinstall the font pack?

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #3,602 of 3,645
Hello,

The installation instructions at https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html have been updated to support installation on Linux and Mac. Also, there is a new version marked as stable (v1_0), and the prevous stable (v8) is marked as "legacy".

You can try to upgrade your bootloader to the stable one, and let me know if the Linux/Mac instructions are sufficient and correct.

If installed correctly, the iPod screen should show:
Rockbox boot loader
version 1.0

Regards,
Vencislav

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #3,603 of 3,645
Hello,

Most of the iPod Classic bootloader installation links are no longer available. People are blindly installing outdated software, which contain bugs or unfinished features. I have left only the latest one at the moment of writing (v8) at the old location.

Since there are no instructions on installing the new bootloader available on the freemyipod site, I have started writing this page:

https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html

It will be the one-and-only guide to installing the bootloader. Please write a reply or send me a message if you think it can be improved.

Also, please do not hotlink to the installer - link to the page above instead. When a new version is avalable, I simply delete the old version from the server, and your links become broken. So be nice and link to the instructions, rather to the files itself.

Please note that installing emCORE as a bootloader for Rockbox is considered deprecated, and using the new bootloader instead is highly recommended. If your setup works fine, you are not required to switch/update, but it should not hurt.

Does this work with the latest iPod Classic 7th Gen 160 GB thin?? Thanks

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #3,605 of 3,645

Works perfectly for me, on '6th' and '7th' and '7.5' gens (ipod naming terminology really is a mess!). Let's hope it gets finalised and incorporated into an official rockbox bootloader release at some point.

Great I'm keen to try it on my 7.5 gen 160 GB with dual sd card adapter configuration. What's the best way to start, need all the advice and best practice methods to follow to avoid bricking my beloved iPod Classic? If you can inbox or share the info again it would be much appreciated kind sir. Excuse my ignorance but can the iPod be restored to Original Firmware if something goes wrong or if you want to go back and forth, like dual booting. I'm sorry for these silly questions but I would rather be safe than sorry. I went to Rockbox and the software only shows iPod supported up to 5.5 gen.

Thank you so much.

I appreciate all the advice and best ways to install Rockbox on my Classic 7.5 Gen.

Regards
Dane

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #3,607 of 3,645
Great I'm keen to try it on my 7.5 gen 160 GB with dual sd card adapter configuration. What's the best way to start, need all the advice and best practice methods to follow to avoid bricking my beloved iPod Classic? If you can inbox or share the info again it would be much appreciated kind sir. Excuse my ignorance but can the iPod be restored to Original Firmware if something goes wrong or if you want to go back and forth, like dual booting. I'm sorry for these silly questions but I would rather be safe than sorry. I went to Rockbox and the software only shows iPod supported up to 5.5 gen.

Thank you so much.

I appreciate all the advice and best ways to install Rockbox on my Classic 7.5 Gen.

Regards
Dane

Bricking these devices by software is really hard, unless you write and install firmware which deliberately over-volts/overclocks them or abuses the disk drive.

All modifications done by Rockbox and the bootloader are fully reversible by doing an iTunes Restore. Your warranty (from Apple) may already be void though.

Yes, the official Rockbox release supports up to 5.5 Gen, but in the last couple of years, there has been very successful development of firmware for 6+ Gen, and the result of it is presented on the bootloader installation page. The source code of Rockbox already supports 6+ Gen, but there isn't an official build available - so we use the automated builds, which contain the most recent changes, and are automatically updated when a code change is made. Rockbox Utility installs such build, and we believe that it is safe for daily use.

The bootloader is still not part of the official Rockbox source code, but it is pending review by the developers, and is most likely going to be accepted in the current state. So what we offer is as close as possible to the final/official Rockbox release.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #3,608 of 3,645
Bricking these devices by software is really hard, unless you write and install firmware which deliberately over-volts/overclocks them or abuses the disk drive.

All modifications done by Rockbox and the bootloader are fully reversible by doing an iTunes Restore. Your warranty (from Apple) may already be void though.

Yes, the official Rockbox release supports up to 5.5 Gen, but in the last couple of years, there has been very successful development of firmware for 6+ Gen, and the result of it is presented on the bootloader installation page. The source code of Rockbox already supports 6+ Gen, but there isn't an official build available - so we use the automated builds, which contain the most recent changes, and are automatically updated when a code change is made. Rockbox Utility installs such build, and we believe that it is safe for daily use.

The bootloader is still not part of the official Rockbox source code, but it is pending review by the developers, and is most likely going to be accepted in the current state. So what we offer is as close as possible to the final/official Rockbox release.

Can I go back to the ORiginal firmware by Doing a reset? Like dual boot with a iPod Classic? I'd like to keep the OF and Rockbox on the same time like dual boot. Is this automatic??

And what's the best method to put songs on, can I sync with iTunes my normal MP3 and AAC songs and then Rockbox builds the database when turned on for the first time??

Suggestions.

Thanks for the response and replies.
Much appreciated

Regards
Dane

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #3,609 of 3,645
Can I go back to the ORiginal firmware by Doing a reset? Like dual boot with a iPod Classic? I'd like to keep the OF and Rockbox on the same time like dual boot. Is this automatic??

And what's the best method to put songs on, can I sync with iTunes my normal MP3 and AAC songs and then Rockbox builds the database when turned on for the first time??

Suggestions.

Thanks for the response and replies.
Much appreciated

Regards
Dane

For switching back and forth rockbox/original firmware, please read the instructions at the bottom at the installation page.

iTunes and Rockbox use a way to sync music, that's compatible one-way: music uploaded using iTunes can be read by Rockbox, but not the other way. So if you manually copy songs to the iPod's hard disk (as you would do with a flash drive or external disk), they can be read by Rockbox but not by Apple's firmware. If you sync songs with iTunes, you can listen to them using Apple's firmware as usual, and Rockbox finds and shows them in its file manager.
The advantage of copying music manually is that you can upload high-quality loseless audio (FLAC for example) without converting and play it back using Rockbox.
Basicly, when using Rockbox think of your iPod as a generic music player, that has nothing to do with Apple - you can use it as a portable hard-disk, copy music anywhere (except the .rockbox folder, only system files go there) and in any folder structure that suits your needs.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #3,610 of 3,645

Thank you so much.

Regards

Dane

Putting Rockbox on literally a couple of dozen different ipods, the only ones that have even come close to being 'bricked' were a couple that had hardware problems already. Even those eventually were recoverable. It's hard to 'brick' an ipod purely through software (unlike _some_ players!).

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #3,611 of 3,645
Hi guys. Please help! I cant get the iPod 7.5 Gen to build a database. It builds but cant commit the database. It starts again to build it.

Synced songs via iTunes and trying rockbox to build and commit the database?

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,612 of 3,645

Works perfectly for me, on '6th' and '7th' and '7.5' gens (ipod naming terminology really is a mess!). Let's hope it gets finalised and incorporated into an official rockbox bootloader release at some point.

I cant get the database to build :frowning2: 7.5 Gen 160 gb thin. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3,614 of 3,645
  Hello,

The installation instructions at https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html have been updated to support installation on Linux and Mac. Also, there is a new version marked as stable (v1_0), and the prevous stable (v8) is marked as "legacy".

You can try to upgrade your bootloader to the stable one, and let me know if the Linux/Mac instructions are sufficient and correct.

If installed correctly, the iPod screen should show:
Rockbox boot loader
version 1.0

Regards,
Vencislav

I cant get the installation to be perfect. iPod doesnt want to build the database and fully commit the database efficientl. Please help. Inbox me please 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back