Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #3,586 of 3,645
  Could you tell me how you found that link?  That is basically a list of old builds provided by the build system.  It is meant to let developers test old builds if something breaks, you're not supposed to be using it.

I think you can just run rockbox utility and tell it to update your build.  Alternatively, there is a download link on the wiki if you don't want to use the GUI tools:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

LOL.  It's a very old bookmark.  No idea how I found it.  I'll stop downloading from there.  Thanks for the heads up.

I've never used the Rockbox Utility.  That may be because I assumed it doesn't work with my iPod running emCORE.  I follow this thread, so I'm aware of the beta bootloader that enables dual-booting, but having no need of the original firmaware, I've stuck with emCORE.  Just to be sure, this link from that page will have the latest commits, esp. the new USB driver, correct?

http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-ipod6g.zip

Thanks.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #3,588 of 3,645
The build with the new USB DesignWare driver is working very well for me, every connect to a pc works instantly (no more hit or miss like before). Transfer speeds are higher and more consistent for me as well. Great work!

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #3,589 of 3,645
  The build with the new USB DesignWare driver is working very well for me, every connect to a pc works instantly (no more hit or miss like before). Transfer speeds are higher and more consistent for me as well. Great work!

Haven't done any careful comparison regarding transfer speeds yet, but it sounds as if it might, ironically, remove the most significant reason for wanting dual-boot capability in the first place,  Nice work, anyway.

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #3,590 of 3,645
The new USB driver is much better, no more taking ages to detect when plugged in to my USB 3 hub.

Still need to test in the car to see if the hang on shutdown has been resolved, that was the only real thing that made need to switch back. nothing worse than trying to fire up your ipod only to find out the battery is dead and you need to wait for it to charge.

EDIT: Nope still hangs on shutdown after connecting the ipod to the car. It either just sits showing the shutting down message or just has the rockbox background and never actually turns off.

@saratoga,
Would you know how i could get some logs that may help a dev isolate the shutdown issue i'm having? I have asked in the rockbox forum but nobody has answered.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #3,592 of 3,645
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah only does it after using the iPod in the car. All the in car controls work with the iPod. auto playback and auto pause work fine, I can change songs no problem, it just won't let the iPod shutdown once the car pauses the unit when power is removed, you can feel the ipod HD spinning as it tires to shutdown but just hangs.

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,594 of 3,645
So did last rockbox firmware can play native 24bit on ipod classic?,anyone knows?

IIRC, the DAC is not capable.  If true, no firmware is going to help.

Here's one thread about it: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4917752?start=0&tstart=0
NB: the truncation of 24-bit files.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3,595 of 3,645

IIRC, the DAC is not capable.  If true, no firmware is going to help.

Here's one thread about it: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4917752?start=0&tstart=0
NB: the truncation of 24-bit files.

Correct, the DAC has about 15.5 bits per the datasheet.  Rockbox can dither/noise shape that, so you can gain a bit, but overall the iPod is basically a near-perfect 16 bit device.  If you have higher dynamic range material, it won't do it.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3,596 of 3,645
Loading the database into RAM has been restored, and as of today, a few other fixes have gone in.  If there are still performance problems with the database on very large libraries, people should probably report them.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #3,597 of 3,645
  Loading the database into RAM has been restored, and as of today, a few other fixes have gone in.  If there are still performance problems with the database on very large libraries, people should probably report them.

Thanks for the update.  Is this the correct page from which to download?  If not, can you please provide the URL.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

NEVER MIND!  Found the post at the top of this page.  I knew I'd asked that before.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #3,598 of 3,645
I have the latest build and now my ipod mounts every time with no issue but none of the newer themes work at all now, they only show black for the playback screen with the vu meter bar across it. Is there a fix for this as the stock Cabbie theme really is harder for me to read then say CabbieV7B.

This is an example of a theme that has nothing for the playback screen correctly: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2568&target=ipod6g

Thanks for all the hard work on the project regardless.

Malcolm

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #3,599 of 3,645
I haven't tried any themes other than my custom one I use all the time, but I have a problem with playback resuming where I paused it before manually shutting down.  I'm testing a new dual USB charger now, but once that's done, here's what I'll test:

Problem: Resuming shuffled playlist after shutting down and then rebooting does not work.

• Set Shuffle to YES
  • Select playlist to start playback
  • Take note of the first song
  • Skip ahead a few songs, FFWD to some point, pause, note the song and time, then force shutdown
  • Boot Rockbox, then select Resume Playback
  • Playback begins at the start of the first track noted earlier
  • Expected behavior: Resume Playback should resume at the pause point of the last song played

I'm going to try resetting to the default config, and failing that, go back to the previous version I was running (Nov. 2016) to see if it works.  If so, I call it a bug in the new version.  TBD, though.

Anyone else running the 2017.02.11 version have this problem, or would be willing to test?

Point of clarification: I don't use the Database feature, and haven't initialized it.  I also don't use Bookmarks, though I did try a couple Bookmark settings, all to no avail.  As best I can remember, I've never used either feature, and never had this problem before.  I've seen a couple posts on the Rockbox forum that are quite similar, perhaps exactly the same, but they were for different devices.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #3,600 of 3,645
Testing confirmed the Resume Playback problem with version 2017.02.11.  Reverting to 2016.11.1 (Version: 33856d9-161111) fixed the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back