Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 22, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #3,541 of 3,645
I finally could install the rockbox with the installer

but the recognized size was only 128 G
in fact it keeps the existing ITunes files (128 M was installed) and let the remaining size for rockbox

How is it possible to allocate the full memory of the SD card to ,rockbox and erase the relainuing ITunes songs ,?
thank you  by advance
Philippe

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #3,542 of 3,645
Does anyone know how to fix an ipod with bad sectors at the beginning of the sectors?

I bought a cheap used ipod (6th gen , 160gb) with bad blocks at the very first 100mb, so I can not install the OS apple in it or I can not restore it. Ok, no Problems. I want to use Rockbox.

So, in linux (UBUNTU) is it possible to install the rockbox? How do I do it? I tried to use Windows to install Rockbox, but I could not make it. When It got to "formatting screen", it did not complete and gave me a white screen error (I believe, those were the bad blocks not letting it to be formatted).

My idea is: Split the hdd in 2 parts (the 1st one with 1gb and the 2nd one with the rest of capacity) and try to install the rockbox into the 2nd part of the hdd in UBUNTU, can I do it?

Thanks a lot

May 9, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #3,543 of 3,645
Hello guys,
First time posting, but long time reading :)

Just a quick question, what do you guys think of battery performance with Rockbox? I've been using the latest build (the 8, from this thread) for the past few weeks, everything worked perfectly, but the battery life kinda sucked. Each boot i see that the battery is "ok" and between 3700 and 4000-ish mAh, but when it drops below 3700, it shuts down because "low battery".

When it's fully charged, it shows 30 hours remaining, but it never lasted that long, and last charge lasted only a couple of hours.

I finally ended up restoring Apple's firmware :frowning2:

So, what do you think of battery life ? Thank you very much ! 

I have a Classic with a 256 Gb flash drive btw.

May 9, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3,544 of 3,645
  Hello guys,
First time posting, but long time reading :)

Just a quick question, what do you guys think of battery performance with Rockbox? I've been using the latest build (the 8, from this thread) for the past few weeks, everything worked perfectly, but the battery life kinda sucked. Each boot i see that the battery is "ok" and between 3700 and 4000-ish mAh, but when it drops below 3700, it shuts down because "low battery".

When it's fully charged, it shows 30 hours remaining, but it never lasted that long, and last charge lasted only a couple of hours.

I finally ended up restoring Apple's firmware :frowning2:

So, what do you think of battery life ? Thank you very much ! 

I have a Classic with a 256 Gb flash drive btw.

Battery life seems OK to me, but then I never get to the point of needing to specifically charge it due to rather frequently connecting it to sync more stuff.
What do you mean "between 3700 and 4000mAh"?  The largest battery available only claims 3000mAh fully charged (I suspect its more like 2000 or so), so I don't see where you get 3700!
Also, by 'flash drive' do you mean SSD (rather power-hungry) or SDXC (better than HDD efficiency)?

May 9, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #3,545 of 3,645

Battery life seems OK to me, but then I never get to the point of needing to specifically charge it due to rather frequently connecting it to sync more stuff.
What do you mean "between 3700 and 4000mAh"?  The largest battery available only claims 3000mAh fully charged (I suspect its more like 2000 or so), so I don't see where you get 3700!
Also, by 'flash drive' do you mean SSD (rather power-hungry) or SDXC (better than HDD efficiency)?

Oh yeah my bad, I messed up the units. What is the unit displayed when RB starts?

Yes sorry, the flash drive is a SSD, I wasn't very clear... Idk, I have the feeling that battery life is considerably better on stock firmware

May 9, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #3,546 of 3,645

Oh yeah my bad, I messed up the units. What is the unit displayed when RB starts?

Yes sorry, the flash drive is a SSD, I wasn't very clear... Idk, I have the feeling that battery life is considerably better on stock firmware

Battery read out is either percent or milliVolts depends on what you look at.

It's hard to say without knowing which build you're running, but a few people have reported that using an SSD greatly reduces battery life in rockbox.  I don't think anyone has ever investigated why, but probably power management isn't correct, or the SSD is expecting the OS to do something it doesn't do.  

May 10, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #3,547 of 3,645

Battery read out is either percent or milliVolts depends on what you look at.

It's hard to say without knowing which build you're running, but a few people have reported that using an SSD greatly reduces battery life in rockbox.  I don't think anyone has ever investigated why, but probably power management isn't correct, or the SSD is expecting the OS to do something it doesn't do.  

Well as I said, it's the latest build available on this thread: https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic-v8/

Yeah maybe it has something to do with spindown management

May 10, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #3,548 of 3,645
  Well as I said, it's the latest build available on this thread: https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic-v8/

Unless I'm completely missing something, that is not a link to the copy of rockbox you're running, it's a link to the tool you used to install the bootloader.  But it's a new bootloader anyway, so probably you're running a similarly up to date version of rockbox (might be worth checking though).  

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #3,551 of 3,645
Guys.

You might go "cool story brah", but I think I've stumbled upon a gold mine. There's a site njuskalo.hr here in my beloved Croatia and every now and then somebody sells an iPod they call it mostly "ipod 30gb".

This is the original 5th gen iPod and they're selling it mostly for around 30$ cause they think it's just an old device nobody wants. Some are resellers of used ebay goods, but some just throw it out like spare garbage.

I'm just getting myself this one: http://www.njuskalo.hr/mp3-mp4-playeri/ipod-30gb-oglas-19280634 - 29$

Hillarious, might start collecting iPods. :D

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #3,552 of 3,645
I am having some trouble with installing Rockbox on my iPod.

When I get to the step for the "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver" to install and connect, nothing happens. Any ideas?

Nevermind got it to work!

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #3,553 of 3,645
  Guys.

You might go "cool story brah", but I think I've stumbled upon a gold mine. There's a site njuskalo.hr here in my beloved Croatia and every now and then somebody sells an iPod they call it mostly "ipod 30gb".

This is the original 5th gen iPod and they're selling it mostly for around 30$ cause they think it's just an old device nobody wants. Some are resellers of used ebay goods, but some just throw it out like spare garbage.

I'm just getting myself this one: http://www.njuskalo.hr/mp3-mp4-playeri/ipod-30gb-oglas-19280634 - 29$

Hillarious, might start collecting iPods. :D

Cool story brah.

Just kidding
biggrin.gif
Actually this is a great option to have a spare iPod for modding purposes, such as CF/SD adapter mod or those rare ZIF SSDs.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #3,554 of 3,645

Cool story brah.

Just kidding
biggrin.gif
Actually this is a great option to have a spare iPod for modding purposes, such as CF/SD adapter mod or those rare ZIF SSDs.

My thoughts exactly! A bunch of cheapstuff 20-40$ iPods ready to get experimented on!

Plus, having an infinite spare of them means I even if I live to my 60s I wouldn't have to miss them haha!

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,555 of 3,645

Cool story brah.

Just kidding
biggrin.gif

The thing is - I also own FiiO X5 and while it is technically better if I had to choose I'd go with iPod no questions asked. Cause with HD players, you can always pick and choose one. But with iPods, there will always be the one iPod 5.5.

Better store it while it's available. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back